Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Music That Reflects Your Persona Or Journey In Life

(04-01-2019, 12:51 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:
Used to have a roommate (this would be, like, 1975) who was fixated on this song. As a result, I think I can still quote the lyrics from memory. That, and Time in a Bottle.

(04-01-2019, 12:57 AM)brewerb Wrote: I stopped musically evolving in the 1990's. I guess it would mostly be late 60's, 70's and 80's rock with new wave and punk thrown in on the side.
Ha. At least you evolved. I only absorbed whatever pop music I unwillingly overheard on other people's radios until I exited the fundagelical world around 1990 or so. The only non-church music I was exposed to, via piano lessons, was the classical repertoire. And of course that was acceptable because a lot of that IS church music.

And then life happened -- raising kids, managing a bad first marriage and messy divorce, and I just never particularly got over the mental block around listening to and really experiencing popular music -- partly due to operant conditioning and partly because it accessed emotions in me that, at the time, I didn't want to access.

When I remarried yet again in 2010 to someone with broader tastes, I was introduced to some really talented people I had not really appreciated ... such as Freddie Mercury, a super versatile artist who would have been anathema to Fundamentalist Me because of his lifestyle (gay, anti-establishment, flamboyant, etc). Ironically, he briefly did opera on the side ... many folks are unaware of that. And he was effortlessly good at it, like he was at everything else.

So it is that I came, sort of, out of the cultural impoverishment of my youth. But my default is still not to listen to the radio on road trips, and in fact to turn it off if it's on. And I don't like listening to playlists while exercising. And I gave up on my own musicianship years ago as I realized that was also a role imposed on my by my religion of origin -- the atmosphere of mediocrity in that realm told me I was far more talented than I actually was, and when I figured out I actually didn't enjoy it enough to become better, I knocked it off.

Aside from my wife's influence, my stepson adores "modern" (dissonant / serialist) classical music so I am actually familiar with quite a lot more variety than most old farts. But it's not something I gravitate towards apart from the interests of people around me.
The following 3 users Like mordant's post:
  • Alan V, brewerb, Mark

My life now.

Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Alan V

I'm 63 years old and still trying to figure out what my persona is.   Even now, it keeps changing. hobo
The following 2 users Like Alan V's post:
  • mordant, Mark

Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Probably because it is so uplifting:

"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 1 user Likes Mark's post:
  • Dānu

The following 1 user Likes vulcanlogician's post:
  • Mark