Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Damned Cops Are Out Of Control

(01-23-2020, 12:08 AM)Minimalist Wrote: When I think of slavering monsters I think of cops.

You should look in a mirror, chickenshit.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Poor little cop lovers.  Can't take having anyone call your heroes to account, huh?
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

(01-23-2020, 04:19 AM)Minimalist Wrote: Poor little cop lovers.  Can't take having anyone call your heroes to account, huh?

They are not "damned cops". Most are caring people in the job because they care about their society and the law. That IS their job, after all. Yes, some fail. And some are in it for the batons and guns and stuff. But not most. Don't mistake "some" for "most".

I can be as harsh on the "some" as anyone. And Gawdzilla and I had some discussion about that earlier. He thought I was too harsh. But of course I had it about right. Wink
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • SYZ

Quote:Most are caring people in the job because they care about their society and the law.

And when push comes to shove they lie to internal affairs to protect their brothers in blue.  And when the video comes out they get fired for lying.  I'm sorry.  They are guys doing a job and they don't always adhere to the high standards you seem to think they have.

(01-22-2020, 06:36 PM)Minimalist Wrote: NYPD cops stripped of guns, shields after they’re caught having sex in department bathroom...

You're really getting desperate if you try and conflate this little sexual peccadillo with police shootings.

There is absolutely zero relevance between these two types of police misconduct.  I don't know why you've
got such a massive chip on your shoulder regarding the police.  You seem to be totally unaware that there
are inevitably corrupt members in any profession you'd care to name.  It's actually quite laughable that you're
so ignorant of actual statistical methodology that you paint an entire police force with such a broad brush due
to a tiny number of miscreants in that force.  It's estimated that there are 850,000 active police officers in
the US, so the handful of bad apples you've noted in this thread amount to diddly-squat in any real world.

—And calling people who support our police "poor little cop lovers" is just so puerile—you sound like a petulant
grade-school kid.     Grow up mate.        Dodgy
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • jerry mcmasters

Piss ant internet snipers, nothing new.

(01-23-2020, 06:54 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(01-22-2020, 06:36 PM)Minimalist Wrote: NYPD cops stripped of guns, shields after they’re caught having sex in department bathroom...

You're really getting desperate if you try and conflate this little sexual peccadillo with police shootings.

There is absolutely zero relevance between these two types of police misconduct.  I don't know why you've
got such a massive chip on your shoulder regarding the police.  You seem to be totally unaware that there
are inevitably corrupt members in any profession you'd care to name.  It's actually quite laughable that you're
so ignorant of actual statistical methodology that you paint an entire police force with such a broad brush due
to a tiny number of miscreants in that force.  It's estimated that there are 850,000 active police officers in
the US, so the handful of bad apples you've noted in this thread amount to diddly-squat in any real world.

—And calling people who support our police "poor little cop lovers" is just so puerile—you sound like a petulant
grade-school kid.     Grow up mate.        Dodgy

Feel free not to read if alleged upholders of the law break it whenever they damn well please.  I regard that as your fucking problem, not mine.

Here's yet another hero for the poor little cop lovers to avert their eyes from.  They never want to see this shit.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/28/us/pr...artner=rss

Quote:Police Officer Charged With Murder in Killing of Handcuffed Suspect in Maryland

Michael Owen, a Prince George’s County police corporal, shot William Green seven times while he was handcuffed in the back of a patrol car, the authorities said.

Cuz you never know when the guy is going to snap those handcuffs in two and go on a crime spree, right?

And if you don't like it... tough shit.

Oh might archer!

As always, a rather pointless reply.

Like ALL of yours. But I see you're not up on the classics.

"Archer."  "Pointless."  Nevermind.

Here's some heroes for you to defend.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc...story.html

Quote:Two NYPD cops busted for pocketing money from motorists they pulled over in ‘integrity test’: DA

Quote:A pair of NYPD officers went before a Manhattan judge Tuesday on charges they pocketed money from a driver after a car stop, authorities said.

Police Officer Joseph Stokes and his partner Officer Jose Aracena were snagged in what the department calls an “integrity test” on Stanton and Orchard Sts. on the Lower East Side on Oct. 29. The motorist they pulled over was an undercover cop pretending to be drunk, and prosecutors said the duo was caught on camera copping cash.

So these two cops may have been robbers but at least they didn't kill any one.

You are as illiterate as always.

I don't know what causes this sort of thing...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/28/us/maryla...index.html

(01-29-2020, 06:31 PM)Cavebear Wrote: I don't know what causes this sort of thing...  

Easy! Every single cop WANTS to kill everybody in sight. Just ask Minimal IQ.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Cavebear

(01-29-2020, 06:36 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(01-29-2020, 06:31 PM)Cavebear Wrote: I don't know what causes this sort of thing...  

Yeah, good sarc. What I mean is that I am confused and concerned that such things occur. It's not right to just shoot someone who is handcuffed. It's the WHY that drives me nuts sometimes.

(01-29-2020, 07:57 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(01-29-2020, 06:36 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

Yeah, good sarc.  What I mean is that I am confused and concerned that such things occur.  It's not right to just shoot someone who is handcuffed.  It's the WHY that drives me nuts sometimes.

There are one million cops in the US. Three people a day are killed by cops, for all reasons. Still too high, of course, but not nearly as high as our resident shit slinger would have us believe. If he could post multiple such events a day he certainly would. But he can't find one every day, that meet his criteria of being CLEAR EVIDENCE THAT COPS ARE KILLING US ALL!!!!slobber!!!!!pant!!!drool!!!!

If you look at Min's post you'll notice a pattern. They are ALL hateful. Clear pathology there. A few years back he starred in an abnormal psych class on Internet crazies.
  • Cavebear

(01-29-2020, 08:07 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(01-29-2020, 07:57 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(01-29-2020, 06:36 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Easy! Every single cop WANTS to kill everybody in sight. Just ask Minimal IQ.

Yeah, good sarc.  What I mean is that I am confused and concerned that such things occur.  It's not right to just shoot someone who is handcuffed.  It's the WHY that drives me nuts sometimes.

There are one million cops in the US. Three people a day are killed by cops, for all reasons. Still too high, of course, but not nearly as high as our resident shit slinger would have us believe. If he could post multiple such events a day he certainly would. But he can't find one every day, that meet his criteria of being CLEAR EVIDENCE THAT COPS ARE KILLING US ALL!!!!slobber!!!!!pant!!!drool!!!!

If you look at Min's post you'll notice a pattern. They are ALL hateful. Clear pathology there. A few years back he starred in an abnormal psych class on Internet crazies.

I understand the stats. I'm trying to understand the exceptions. Why would even one in a million cops suddenly start shooting a handcuffed person in a cop car? And if it is an anomalous event, does that mean the cop gets away with murder.

If I did that (which would be equally anomalous) I might be executed.

I fear that there is a "007 license to kill" attitude among some cops. And it is looking rather racist...

Do you think are more or less than one crazy per million in any population? Probably constrained by something, but one hair away from a total meltdown?

(01-29-2020, 08:23 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Do you  think are more or less than one crazy per million in any population? Probably constrained by something, but one hair away from a total meltdown?

I suppose that anyone can kill.  Any barber, waitress or banker.  But who shoots a handcuffed person sitting in a police car?  There is somethig especially wrong with that sort of thing.  

I understand that police deal with criminals most of their time.  And I've read that that causes a change in attitude.  If you see only criminals, you start to think that everyone is.

I'm not trying to diminish the police in general and I never have.  I'm trying to understand what makes some good people do the unexplained things that some do and get away with it wit idiotic justifications.  May every policeman retire in peace and health....

(01-29-2020, 08:59 PM)Cavebear Wrote: ... But who shoots a handcuffed person sitting in a police car ...?

Lots of people.  People being mocked by someone they believe their inferior.  People whose sense of identity depends on them being taken seriously who aren't being taken seriously by someone they believe their inferior.  People who can't take being insulted by someone they believe their inferior who won't stop insulting them.  People for whom one or more of these things are true and they have a loaded gun and they above all believe they cannot under any circumstances be seen as backing down, especially by someone they believe is their inferior.

Happens constantly, everywhere.  No mystery at all - that is, there is a mystery, but not any mystery in the immediate occasion.  The mystery is what continues to prevent our socialization from teaching ourselves how to cope.  That's a curriculum we should have perfected 10,000 years ago but haven't yet begun to seriously explore.  I suspect part of the reason for its absence is how fun it is to inflict righteous cruelty.  Being good at coping means not indulging righteous cruelty.

So among the reasons enumerated above for why would someone would shoot a helpless person seven times is that it's fun being righteously cruel.  We can't leave that out.
The following 1 user Likes airportkid's post:
  • Cavebear

(01-29-2020, 09:24 PM)airportkid Wrote:
(01-29-2020, 08:59 PM)Cavebear Wrote: ... But who shoots a handcuffed person sitting in a police car ...?

Lots of people.  People being mocked by someone they believe their inferior.  People whose sense of identity depends on them being taken seriously who aren't being taken seriously by someone they believe their inferior.  People who can't take being insulted by someone they believe their inferior who won't stop insulting them.  People for whom one or more of these things are true and they have a loaded gun and they above all believe they cannot under any circumstances be seen as backing down, especially by someone they believe is their inferior.

Happens constantly, everywhere.  No mystery at all - that is, there is a mystery, but not any mystery in the immediate occasion.  The mystery is what continues to prevent our socialization from teaching ourselves how to cope.  That's a curriculum we should have perfected 10,000 years ago but haven't yet begun to seriously explore.  I suspect part of the reason for its absence is how fun it is to inflict righteous cruelty.  Being good at coping means not indulging righteous cruelty.

So among the reasons enumerated above for why would someone would shoot a helpless person seven times is that it's fun being righteously cruel.  We can't leave that out.

I agree. They are supposed to be trained to resist that. But it seems they don't. Or rather, maybe it was always that way, but we see it on the news more often.

I suppose it was always this way, but now there are cameras to prove it more often. As older politicians never seen to realize that what they say in "private" gets recorded on mics and phones, police just don't seem to understand that they are viewed on cameras. They beat some guy with batons, and there are 10 smart phones recording it.

"but we see it on the news more often" Because it's what sells soap. As I pointed out above Min can't find one a day that he can make out as police savagery.
  • Alan V

(01-29-2020, 09:48 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: "but we see it on the news more often" Because it's what sells soap. As I pointed out above Min can't find one a day that he can make out as police savagery.

Are you arguing that police brutality is new or that it happened in the past less reported?

There's an obvious and easy question for Minimalist to answer:

If he were beaten up in the street, suffered a home invasion, or his car was stolen, who would he phone?

Presumably not the police, as he considers them to be a major risk factor in innocent people getting killed.

So... who would it be?
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Alan V

(01-29-2020, 09:53 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(01-29-2020, 09:48 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: "but we see it on the news more often" Because it's what sells soap. As I pointed out above Min can't find one a day that he can make out as police savagery.

Are you arguing that police brutality is new or that it happened in the past less reported?

It's not really news to the major networks, too much other material needs covering. The cop haters are trying to make out it's on the rise, but they can't support that.