Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Damned Cops Are Out Of Control

(01-27-2019, 07:59 PM)epronovost Wrote:
(01-27-2019, 02:39 PM)Mark Wrote: The best thing good police officers can do to restore public confidence is call out bad cops.

A system of accountability that relies on "snitching" doesn't inspire me confidence.

It isn't enough but it would show that not all cops are the problem.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 1 user Likes Mark's post:
  • Joods

(01-27-2019, 08:01 PM)Mark Wrote:
(01-27-2019, 02:39 PM)Mark Wrote: The best thing good police officers can do to restore public confidence is call out bad cops.

A system of accountability that relies on "snitching" doesn't inspire me confidence.

It isn't enough but it would show that not all cops are the problem.

Which is patently the case right now.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

(01-26-2019, 09:45 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(01-26-2019, 07:44 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:What exactly are you doing dude?

A discussion of police misconduct would be delightful.  Sometimes I wonder what it will take for other people to get concerned about the Blue Crime Wave which is criss-crossing the nation?  Until that happens, I'll just keep posting examples and see who wants to engage.

Perhaps you would like to start?

I've never seen you budget an inch off your position.

My position is that some cops are way too quick to employ deadly force at the slightest provocation or no provocation and that most other cops would rather amputate their own balls than contradict one of their buddies in blue.

I will not make excuses.... mathematical or otherwise.... for such conduct man.  There is a problem here that does not happen in the rest of the civilized world.  Or should I say "more civilized world."
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Joods

And your assertion is noted.

Perhaps not but the body cameras of good cops can go a long way in providing video evidence of the bad things bad cops do.
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.
The following 1 user Likes Joods's post:
  • SYZ

(01-27-2019, 07:18 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(01-27-2019, 02:52 PM)Joods Wrote:
(01-27-2019, 11:43 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Who is that you think is getting mad?

It's pretty obvious.

Care to share? Or is innuendo good enough?

Clearly you are smart so stop playing stupid. I don't need to call out anyone in this thread for people to know who's against it and who isn't. Duh.
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.

(01-27-2019, 07:19 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(01-27-2019, 06:02 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
(01-27-2019, 04:27 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Even liberals seem to need a group or groups to demonize.

Are you going to defend police brutality.... or just try to play your statistical games to excuse it?

You mean the fact that every person in this country has a 1/110,000,000 chance of being killed by a policeman on any given day?

Tell that to the families whose loved ones were victims of police brutality. One death is one too many and yes, it DOES matter.
      Christianity: 
The following 1 user Likes Joods's post:
  • Minimalist

(01-27-2019, 07:50 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: How many times do the good cops out the bad ones and it doesn't make news?

Good cops make the news all the time. That isn't the issue here. If you want to start a good cops thread, feel free to do so.
      Christianity: 

(01-27-2019, 09:21 PM)Joods Wrote:

Perhaps not but the body cameras of good cops can go a long way in providing video evidence of the bad things bad cops do.

I agree. Police should know that their powers are being audited.

(01-27-2019, 09:24 PM)Joods Wrote:
(01-27-2019, 07:50 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: How many times do the good cops out the bad ones and it doesn't make news?

Good cops make the news all the time. That isn't the issue here. If you want to start a good cops thread, feel free to do so.

Am I interrupting the hate-a-thon in some fashion?

(01-27-2019, 09:26 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(01-27-2019, 09:24 PM)Joods Wrote:

Am I interrupting the hate-a-thon in some fashion?

I like how you assume those in favor of this thread hate ALL cops. Great intentional misunderstanding of the purpose of the thread.

Thumbs Up  <---- /sarcasm
      Christianity: 

The purpose of Min's threads are to hate someone.

You mean the body cameras that they can turn off?  Some safeguard.

(01-28-2019, 12:25 AM)Minimalist Wrote:
(01-27-2019, 07:59 PM)epronovost Wrote: A system of accountability that relies on "snitching" doesn't inspire me confidence.

You mean the body cameras that they can turn off?  Some safeguard.

Those yes. But honest cops wouldn't do that. One can only hope there are honest cops not afraid of retribution.
      Christianity: 

(01-27-2019, 09:23 PM)Joods Wrote: Tell that to the families whose loved ones were victims of police brutality.
That is a blatant appeal to emotion and not an actual argument, as being the victim of X crime doesn't make you an expert on it or the statistics around it. The sheer volume of police interactions that don't result in a negative outcome vs those that do means portraying cops as "out of control" is disingenuous at best and dishonest at worst.

(01-27-2019, 09:23 PM)Joods Wrote: One death is one too many and yes, it DOES matter.

That strikes me as dangerously close to being a utopian fallacy, you are never going to design a system of law enforcement that results in zero unjustified deaths in a nation as large, populous, and diverse as the US. And while I agree every unjust death does matter and is a travesty and should be investigated the notion that it somehow calls into question police as a whole is irrational and not supported by the evidence.

Considering there are approximately 765,000+ LEO's in the USA and even using the most charitable numbers on police brutality you are looking at a percentage of the police engaged in any kind of brutality, not just killings, so small as to be considered statistically insignificant. That's just using a 1:1 comparison, if you expand out and take interactions to interactions, positive to negative, you have something in the neighborhood of a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent being negative. Which is from any objective analysis hardly justification for a negative outlook on police, let alone that there is a police crime wave or that they are out of control.

The fact of the matter is if you went to a protest against the police and get assaulted by someone there the first person you would go to is a cop, and for good reason.
Kneel mortal before Whiskey I, Lord of Dalmore, Duke of Jameson, Defender of the Sloshed, and God-Emperor of Holy Terra.

(01-28-2019, 12:46 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:
(01-27-2019, 09:23 PM)Joods Wrote: Tell that to the families whose loved ones were victims of police brutality.
That is a blatant appeal to emotion and not an actual argument, as being the victim of X crime doesn't make you an expert on it or the statistics around it. The sheer volume of police interactions that don't result in a negative outcome vs those that do means portraying cops as "out of control" is disingenuous at best and dishonest at worst.

Where did I say being a victim of a crime makes one an expert? You are taking my argument with someone else completely out of context, being disingenuous yourself and acting like you are making a point. 

(01-27-2019, 09:23 PM)Joods Wrote: One death is one too many and yes, it DOES matter.

(01-28-2019, 12:46 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote: That strikes me as dangerously close to being a utopian fallacy, you are never going to design a system of law enforcement that results in zero unjustified deaths in a nation as large, populous, and diverse as the US. And while I agree every unjust death does matter and is a travesty and should be investigated the notion that it somehow calls into question police as a whole is irrational and not supported by the evidence.

Where did I say anything about the "police as a whole", in what you quoted? I am strictly talking about those cops who do intentional wrong. Last time I checked, that wasn't every single cop. Even I'm not stupid enough to think that. FFS. 

Perhaps before you respond to a post that wasn't directed at you, you might want to first understand what is being said and not try to twist the context on that post to suit your own agenda.
      Christianity: 

(01-28-2019, 12:56 AM)Joods Wrote: Where did I say being a victim of a crime makes one an expert? You are taking my argument with someone else completely out of context, being disingenuous yourself and acting like you are making a point.
You didn't nor did I say you had. I pointed out that your response to Gawdzilla was a clear appeal to emotion and one that doesn't even work as "tell it to the families"doesn't even make sense as being the victim of a crime offers them no special expertise, nor does the fact there are victims of a crime change the statistics on those crimes as a whole, in this case how likely you are to be killed by police.

He pointed out that your odds of being killed by police, and you attempted to dismiss relevant statistical data by making an appeal to emotion and to the personal anecdotes of families. Yes, families who have been the victim of police brutality are going to have high rates of victimhood of police brutality, that doesn't change or frankly even challenge his point that for the general populace your odds are statistically insignificant.

(01-28-2019, 12:56 AM)Joods Wrote: Where did I say anything about the "police as a whole", in what you quoted? I am strictly talking about those cops who do intentional wrong. Last time I checked, that wasn't every single cop. Even I'm not stupid enough to think that. FFS.
I was using a combination of your post, and Godzilla to criticize the title of this thread and other claims made in this thread as nonsensical. Really only the first sentence is a direct response to your quote, and fair enough I should have made that distinction clearer. The rest was in support of Gawdzilla's post, more to flesh it out really.

(01-28-2019, 12:56 AM)Joods Wrote: suit your own agenda

Oh, and what agenda would that be exactly? 
Kneel mortal before Whiskey I, Lord of Dalmore, Duke of Jameson, Defender of the Sloshed, and God-Emperor of Holy Terra.

People need to say what they mean then. And stop picking apart a sentence and pulling a string of words out of them to try and justify an argument. So not engaging in that sort of crap.
      Christianity: 

(01-28-2019, 01:52 AM)Joods Wrote: People need to say what they mean then.
I said exactly what I meant, though as I already acknowledged that I could have enunciated it clearer the points and criticism are still plainly and obviously clear and as of yet unanswered by you. Even after clarifying them and repeating them a second time I might add.

(01-28-2019, 01:52 AM)Joods Wrote: And stop picking apart a sentence and pulling a string of words out of them to try and justify an argument.
I'll be blunt, this is bloody nonsense. The things I am responding to are only a sentence long to begin with, so the idea I should comment on a point made without utilizing the point as written makes no sense. Secondly, I didn't "pick a string of words out" I addressed and critiqued your arguments and assertions contained in the post I was responding to. Thirdly you do not dictate to me how I'll speak or convey my points.

(01-28-2019, 01:52 AM)Joods Wrote: So not engaging in that sort of crap.
Well, that's perfectly obvious by the fact you haven't said one wit about the content of my arguments or points and instead chose to whine about my post and through accusations around.

Now I'll ask again what imagined agenda am I supposedly peddling?

American cops killed 1,000+ people last year.

British cops killed 1.

No we can hear all about the population difference from the math types.
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Phaedrus, Joods

(01-28-2019, 01:52 AM)Joods Wrote: People need to say what they mean then. And stop picking apart a sentence and pulling a string of words out of them to try and justify an argument. So not engaging in that sort of crap.

I see this is your first Min thread. Undecided

(01-27-2019, 09:21 PM)Joods Wrote: Perhaps not but the body cameras of good cops can go a long way in providing video evidence of the bad things bad cops do.

Unfortunately, the "bad" cops  can simply turn off their body cams, as in the Justine Damond shooting in Minneapolis,
where both cops had turned them off.  This is a breach of Minneapolis PD's regulations, which states that body cams must
be activated when attending any/all call outs.

During the pre-hiring process, the killer cop was flagged by two psychiatrists who questioned his ability to deal with people,
handle stress and display patience.  The MPD ignored those reports and still hired him however.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Joods

(01-28-2019, 11:26 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(01-27-2019, 09:21 PM)Joods Wrote: Perhaps not but the body cameras of good cops can go a long way in providing video evidence of the bad things bad cops do.

Unfortunately, the "bad" cops  can simply turn off their body cams, as in the Justine Damond shooting in Minneapolis,
where both cops had turned them off.  This is a breach of Minneapolis PD's regulations, which states that body cams must
be activated when attending any/all call outs.

During the pre-hiring process, the killer cop was flagged by two psychiatrists who questioned his ability to deal with people,
handle stress and display patience.  The MPD ignored those reports and still hired him however.

I couldn't get that link to work. But I would hope that the cops involved were punished appropriately? Bringing this sort of thing to light, brings about awareness and places departments on notice to take hiring more seriously.
      Christianity: 

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/01/family-...acramento/

Quote:Family members of unarmed black man shot by police sue city of Sacramento

Quote:Clark was gunned down on the night of March 18, 2018 in his grandparents’ backyard by police responding to a report that someone was breaking windows.

Police officials said the officers, who fired 20 shots at Clark, feared he had a gun. But he was found to have been holding only a cellphone.

I bet they were afraid for their lives!

And that's Min.