Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well, here goes

Well, here goes
Let's not start that shitfest again.

The horse is already dead and beating it won't bring it back to life.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 5 users Like abaris's post:
  • Joods, Tres Leches, Mark, Thumpalumpacus, Dānu

Well, here goes
(01-23-2019, 06:28 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: I really think that people who tell others to shut up are literally the only people who need to shut up.

Nah, just kidding. No one should shut up if they don't want to. But it really is tiresome when others tell others to do so. Censorship can die in a fire.

It's not censorship. If your posts had been deleted, that'd be censorship. I'm just saying that we've already got a dedicated thread for this highly controversial topic.
The following 1 user Likes Vosur's post:
  • Joods

Well, here goes
(01-23-2019, 06:31 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: Yes, it technically isn't censorship but trying to get people to shut up, however pointless the effort, is still an attempt at censorship.

Shouting over people so their voice can't be heard ... locking threads. Telling people to shut up. They're all ways to discourage free speech.

One of the most important aspects to free speech is actually the right to listen to what everyone has to say.

I'm not telling you to shut up, I'm telling you to say the things you want to say in the appropriate area. Just like a gay funeral isn't the right place for a rabid fundamentalist to preach against gay people, this thread isn't the right place to start another shit storm by bringing up that stuff.

(01-23-2019, 06:31 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: I've never approved of locking threads. It only ever seems to make things even worse because it just means the resentment is still there but less out in the open. I have the same problem with it that I do with the fact that AF doesn't have any negative reps ... people will still think the same things and find some way to say the same things ... they just can no longer do it so straightfowardly.

For years AF never locked any threads and those were the good early years.

Dom has temporarily locked the thread so people can cool down, which quite frankly, you definitely needed to do.
The following 1 user Likes Vosur's post:
  • Joods

Well, here goes
Threads have been muted pending review from the rest of the staff. This is an introduction forum with rules to enforce a general sense of civility and to welcome new members. This is not the sewer; do not treat it as such.
The following 9 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Vera, Vosur, Tres Leches, Joods, TheGentlemanBastard, Mark, Thumpalumpacus, jerry mcmasters, Dānu

Well, here goes
(01-23-2019, 06:34 PM)Vosur Wrote: I'm not telling you to shut up, I'm telling you to say the things you want to say in the appropriate area.

When the "appropriate area" gets locked so people can't say it there ... then of course people are being censored if they can't post elsewhere. If the appropriate area is locked then either I post in the inappropriate area or I censor myself. It is still an attempt to censor people. It doesn't succeed when people can post in the inappropriate area. But it's certainly retarded to tell someone to post in the appropriate area if that area has been locked (although I assume you didn't know it was locked when you said that).
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.

Well, here goes
(01-23-2019, 06:34 PM)Vosur Wrote: Dom has temporarily locked the thread so people can cool down, which quite frankly, you definitely needed to do.

Shows where people's fucked-up priorities are.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.

Well, here goes
Hello, Steve Kepler's Stimbo Cyberman Dream Shy

Well, here goes
Jesus please us. We already know this topic is a shitsplat. I didn't even know Steve had bailed on us. Having been absent from AF for almost a year I'm not privy to the details of what went down there ... but goddamn, that one stupid thread we had was taste enough of their issues coming here.

Let's look forward and not back. If you go between both forums, great, I doubt anyone here cares, and I know I don't myself. But let's keep the drama where it belongs, eh?
On hiatus.
The following 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, Tres Leches, unfogged, Finite Monkeys