Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
omg the graphics!

omg the graphics!
I have been playing games on low video settings for so long that I forgot how cool it is to play on high video settings and how lag free games can be!
I played 7 days to die with my new computer and I had the settings up there and fuck it was fun. 
And that game isn't even that great when it comes to graphics. I can't wait to see more of that cool shit
2+2=4
The following 6 users Like leerob's post:
  • JesseB, Aliza, skyking, EvieTheAvocado, jerry mcmasters, Vosur

omg the graphics!
(12-23-2018, 01:37 AM)leerob Wrote: I have been playing games on low video settings for so long that I forgot how cool it is to play on high video settings and how lag free games can be!
I played 7 days to die with my new computer and I had the settings up there and fuck it was fun. 
And that game isn't even that great when it comes to graphics. I can't wait to see more of that cool shit

see? told you, ya needed a decent computer.

What did you end up getting?
The universe doesn't give a fuck about you. Don't cry though, at least I do.
The following 1 user Likes JesseB's post:
  • leerob

omg the graphics!
Intel Core i7-8700
Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB
16GB RAM
240GB SSD
2TB HDD
400W 80+ PSU
2+2=4
The following 6 users Like leerob's post:
  • skyking, EvieTheAvocado, JesseB, Vosur, abaris, SYZ

omg the graphics!
Is it fairly quiet? That's a shitload of horsepower.

omg the graphics!
I've just built up a new i9-9900K with 8 cores and hyper-threading (the i7 doesn't have hyperthreading any more).
64 GB Ram (although I only intended ordering 32GB. I only need about 2GB in practice)

Although it's currently processing my AI at 100% 24/7. It only has Linux on it at the moment with no graphics card.

I bought it as a replacement for the i7-7700K I am giving to my husband to replace his quad core from 2009 (my previous quad core from the same time blew up in the end when the PSU gave up).

My main computer is actually still a i7-4771 from 2013 with a NVidia 960 graphics card. I'm considering making the new i9 my main computer but I just don't really play games any more.

I used to be a keen gamer and the last game I was playing was Elite Dangerous. But it was becoming a real time leach where I ended up working all the time for something virtual in the game rather than something productive  in real life like my research so when I got MS I wasn't in a hurry to start playing again.

My husband and I have the same graphics cards so when it comes time to upgrade I can move them both into the same machine. One of these days I hope to actually start using graphics cards for my AI.
The following 2 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • JesseB, Vosur

omg the graphics!
i7 8700k 6 cores
GTX 1080
16gig ram

300w power supply in a laptop
The universe doesn't give a fuck about you. Don't cry though, at least I do.
The following 1 user Likes JesseB's post:
  • skyking

omg the graphics!
G3258 with 2 cores
GTX 1050 TI
8 gigs of ram

Tremble peasants, before my PC.
Breathing takes too much effort.

omg the graphics!
I recently bought a new PC and monitor to upgrade my 5 year old setup. Smile

Old PC
Nvidia GTX 970
Intel Core i5 4690k
8GB DDR3 RAM
128GB Crucial m4 SSD
1TB WD Green HDD
Samsung S24D300H 24'' monitor

New PC
Nvidia RTX 2080
Intel Core i9 9900k
16GB DDR4 RAM
500GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD
Acer Predator XB271HUbmiprz 27'' monitor w/ G-Sync

[Image: O1lfiEA.png]

[Image: Pp7QoTh.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Vosur's post:
  • Mathilda

omg the graphics!
My new i9 only has a 600 watt PSU. I originally brought it to replace a previous PSU that blew up (Seasonic funnily enough, which I bought to replace the Dell PSU in the same computer that had blown up beforehand, back before I used to build the computers myself). I'm wondering if it will be enough for two NVidia 960 cards when the time comes. My other computers have a 750 watt and a 850 watt.

omg the graphics!
Just got one from the Forbin Project. Not sure about it yet.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

omg the graphics!
I have a pokey i3 with a Radeon HD 7770. It serves me fine. I just bought some games off steam, but I don't think any of them will stress it too much. We'll see.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

omg the graphics!
(12-23-2018, 11:07 PM)skyking Wrote: Is it fairly quiet? That's a shitload of horsepower.
Very quiet yes. Not a sound.
I can now play games in the middle of the night without being afraid that I might wake my neighbours up.
2+2=4
The following 2 users Like leerob's post:
  • skyking, Dānu

omg the graphics!
I still have a watercooling setup in my garage from the AMD days, I remember that noise was a fight. I don't game at all so laptop is my weapon of choice.

omg the graphics!
I need to replace my power supply before it blows up, probably taking most of the peripherals with it. I did something on my last build that I have never done before. I kept the previous case and PS. The case is still quite nice, but the power supply is a bit weak for what I'm doing with it. I plugged in a USB-C adapter and pushed the PS past it's capability resulting in boot failure. And, the 5v rails have gotten a little weak (4.93 or so). I spied a nice Corsair 1000W PS on Newegg for $130 that I'm thinking on. The decision would be much easier if I hadn't just replaced my old POS inkjet with a shiny new color laser printer. Smile
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]

omg the graphics!
If you don't trust the power supply get rid of it ASAP!
When I was learning linux and hard drive space was expensive, I had a FreeBSD fileserver with 3 or 4 small drives in it. All my music etc was on there.
I came home to a horrible stench. The power supply had gone rogue, and took everything out. The motherboard, all the controllers on those hard drives, you name it, the smoke came out of it.
It looked like the network card was OK. Nope, later that year it locked up the next server build Facepalm
It just took a while to die.  Big Grin
The following 1 user Likes skyking's post:
  • JesseB

omg the graphics!
There are some things that I don't skimp on when building a PC. A good power supply is tops on that list.

Yeah, I had a similar meltdown, though not caused by the power supply itself. Thanks to my own mistake, the power supply melted down and took everything with it. Thankfully Seagate covered the $600 tape drive that was still under warranty.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • JesseB