Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About Neo_Scholastic

About Neo_Scholastic
Hello to all and thank to the forum creators for making this platform.

I was a former participant on Atheistforums.org and hVe migrated to here at the suggestion of other former AF members. (There went the neighborhood,  right?)

My interests include Emanuel Swedenborg,  Scholastic philosophy,  and the visual arts. I was a theist as a young man but my current personal religious views now favor the more symbolic and mystical but only the degree that they do not conflict with natural revelation.

Anyway, I look forward to meeting new friends and reconnecting with old ones.

About Neo_Scholastic
Glad to have you here. I hope you will find that the atmosphere here is generally better. Some people are still hostile, but not all, the atmosphere is overall far better and I much prefer the Staff.

You also may find that people who were rude to you over at AF are more relaxed over here.

SteveII has also migrated to over here, and he's a very enjoyable Christain to debate with, IMO. CL is also over here.

Welcome to AD, Neo! Smile

Best wishes, and best welcome,

EvF/DvF/Evie/Alasdair/Hammy/Edwardo
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 4 users Like EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Aliza, Catholic_Lady, Smercury44, Mad Hatter

About Neo_Scholastic
Welcome aboard, Neo. Smile
The following 2 users Like Aliza's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado, Catholic_Lady

About Neo_Scholastic
Oh yeah, we also have a theist admin over here. Don't we, Aliza? Do you happen to know which one of you Staff it is that believes in "that sorta thing"? Wink
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

The following 2 users Like EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Aliza, Catholic_Lady

About Neo_Scholastic
Glad you're here, Neo!! Welcome and I hope we both like it here. Smile
The following 5 users Like Catholic_Lady's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado, Aliza, KevinM1, MysticKnight, Smercury44

About Neo_Scholastic
Welcome Neo! Heart  Glad you found this corner of the interwebz.

While I haven't always agreed with you over "there", I'm hoping we can make a fresh start here. I hope you'll find that the atmosphere is totally different. Warming and welcoming here. 

Also - as a gentle reminder to everyone here and out of respect, please don't use his real name if you know it.
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.
The following 5 users Like Joods's post:
  • Catholic_Lady, KevinM1, EvieTheAvocado, Aliza, Smercury44

About Neo_Scholastic
Welcome, Neo. I know we butted heads over at the other place, but I do hope you stick around here. Diverse POVs, no matter how much I may personally disagree with them, are a net benefit to all in the long run.
The following 4 users Like KevinM1's post:
  • Catholic_Lady, Joods, EvieTheAvocado, Aliza

About Neo_Scholastic
I will try to be on my best behaviour. I know I have never been a model forum participant. I said many things I later regretted. Hopefully other refugees won't hold those against me. I am here for the same reasons they are.

About Neo_Scholastic
Welcome, Neo. Never knew you went throug so much evolution.

Good to see you here. Sad about AF.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado

About Neo_Scholastic
(12-06-2018, 09:45 PM)Neo_Scholastic Wrote: I will try to be on my best behaviour.  I know I have never been a model forum participant. I said many things I later regretted. Hopefully other refugees won't hold those against me. I am here for the same reasons they are.

@Catholic_Lady can testify to the fact that I really don't hold grudges on anyone Smile

The following 1 user Likes EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Catholic_Lady

About Neo_Scholastic
Long time no see.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 1 user Likes abaris's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado

About Neo_Scholastic
Welcome to the forum Neo. Glad to have you here.
The following 1 user Likes Mathilda's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado

About Neo_Scholastic
Sorry, there doesn't seem to be an edit feature like AF. The OP should have said that I was an atheist as a young man, in the existentialist sort of way.
The following 1 user Likes Neo_Scholastic's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado

About Neo_Scholastic
(12-06-2018, 09:45 PM)Neo_Scholastic Wrote: I will try to be on my best behaviour.  I know I have never been a model forum participant. I said many things I later regretted. Hopefully other refugees won't hold those against me. I am here for the same reasons they are.

Shit, everybody does. I can remember things I’ve specifically said to you that I would like to reword if I had the chance.

Why did you change your name from name redacted? You will always be name reacted to me.
[Image: giphy.gif]

About Neo_Scholastic
Oh yes, I remember you saying that before a long while ago.

@Neo_Scholastic Which atheistic version of Existentialism did you follow? Sartre? Nietzsche? Etc.

About Neo_Scholastic
Hey Neo, I'm so happy to see you here. Welcome. Smile

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 2 users Like Tres Leches's post:
  • Catholic_Lady, EvieTheAvocado

About Neo_Scholastic
Glad to see you here too.

"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 2 users Like Mark's post:
  • Aliza, EvieTheAvocado

About Neo_Scholastic
(12-06-2018, 10:08 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: Oh yes, I remember you saying that before a long while ago.

@Neo_Scholastic Which atheistic version of Existentialism did you follow? Sartre? Nietzsche? Etc.

Oh, Nietzsche by a wide margin. I am sure I could quote more of him from heart than bible verses.
The following 1 user Likes Neo_Scholastic's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado

About Neo_Scholastic
Welcome!
The following 1 user Likes Marozz's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado

About Neo_Scholastic
(12-07-2018, 12:12 AM)Neo_Scholastic Wrote:
(12-06-2018, 10:08 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: Oh yes, I remember you saying that before a long while ago.

Oh, Nietzsche by a wide margin. I am sure I could quote more of him from heart than bible verses.

How long were you an atheist for and how long have you been a Christian for? Smile

About Neo_Scholastic
Hello Neo.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado

About Neo_Scholastic
Brewer?

About Neo_Scholastic
(12-06-2018, 11:57 PM)Mark Wrote: Glad to see you here too.

The following 1 user Likes EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Mark

About Neo_Scholastic
So Neo, are you currently a Christian but used to be an atheist?
The following 1 user Likes Aliza's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado

About Neo_Scholastic
Welcome! I look forward to seeing you around.
[Image: 320-C6-ED7-97-CD-4-AB2-A60-A-759-A45-FB7-FE8.jpg]
"The Thinking Atheist forum" “The Thinking Atheist forum closed down" “TTA Forum”
The following 1 user Likes Smercury44's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado