Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mafia Game #1 - Plain old Vanilla mafia

Oh gawd I'm getting so many ideas for mafia games right now, I'm having trouble remembering which one I mentioned when.

Like how about this game again (7 townies, 2 scum), and semi-gagged where everyone has the same night action.

At night you can send in one message to the mod stating who you will be PMing with for the duration of that night phase. You may not change your mind. The recipient will also be free to PM you back after your initial contact. These PM exchanges must not be forwarded on, or copied into a conversation with anyone else.

Mafia can chat with each other each night phase and can share PMs from townies.
The following 7 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • Smercury44, Aliza, TheGulegon, Paleophyte, Joods, Aroura, mlmooney89

(12-09-2018, 12:18 AM)Mathilda Wrote: Oh gawd I'm getting so many ideas for mafia games right now, I'm having trouble remembering which one I mentioned when.

Like how about this game again (7 townies, 2 scum), and semi-gagged where everyone has the same night action.

At night you can send in one message to the mod stating who you will be PMing with for the duration of that night phase. You may not change your mind. The recipient will also be free to PM you back after your initial contact. These PM exchanges must not be forwarded on, or copied into a conversation with anyone else.

Can Tartarus and I be on the same team? Tongue
The following 1 user Likes Aliza's post:
  • TheGulegon

(12-09-2018, 12:18 AM)Mathilda Wrote: Oh gawd I'm getting so many ideas for mafia games right now, I'm having trouble remembering which one I mentioned when.

Ug. Mafia already have the info advantage. Perhaps a game with a few roles first?
The following 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post:
  • TheGulegon

(12-08-2018, 11:58 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: Oh @Aliza I wanna point out that you played fine for a first game ... far better than I did (and it should go without saying that Pale played amazing).

If I suggested at all that you were doing a poor job as Town if you were Town ... Aliza ... that was my scummy bastard self trying to make you look scummy when you were really just genuinely uncertain.

Plus, you were RIGHT to read me as scum and many of the tells you pointed out were correct!  Thumbs Up

He’s absolutely right @Aliza your final read on me was pretty spot on as well Thumbs Up
[Image: 320-C6-ED7-97-CD-4-AB2-A60-A-759-A45-FB7-FE8.jpg]
"The Thinking Atheist forum" “The Thinking Atheist forum closed down" “TTA Forum”
The following 3 users Like Smercury44's post:
  • TheGulegon, EvieTheAvocado, Aroura

(12-09-2018, 12:12 AM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:
(12-09-2018, 12:02 AM)Paleophyte Wrote: I need my fix and MafiaScum intro games have two week long days! WTF?!? I can see going maybe 4 days, but two weeks?!?

It's a whole different mood over there.

It's somehow far more competitive and far less intense at the same time.

It's definitely a good way to become a better player ... but it's not as fun ... at least not without friends. I'm sure it would be fine if we were allowed to have a whole game to ourselves over there Tongue Certainly less time pressure with 2 weeks Tongue The playing with strangers who take it very seriously is what makes it less fun for me.

I was getting that. I looked through their games and some of them were very competitive. I'll pass on anything that takes their entertainment that seriously.
The following 2 users Like Paleophyte's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado, Aroura

Thanks for running the game @Joods It was a good intro even if I did get the town killed! Tongue
The following 4 users Like Paleophyte's post:
  • Smercury44, Joods, TheGulegon, EvieTheAvocado

Thanks everyone. I'm glad the game was generally well received. I'm sorry if the scum to town ratio was off. Should have gone with my gut.

I'm currently thinking of ideas for my next game.
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.
The following 6 users Like Joods's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado, Aliza, TheGulegon, Smercury44, Paleophyte, mlmooney89

It was a very enjoyable, and instructive experience! I had fun and thanks for hosting.
The following 7 users Like Aliza's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado, TheGulegon, Mathilda, Smercury44, Paleophyte, Joods, Aroura

(12-09-2018, 12:36 AM)Joods Wrote: Thanks everyone. I'm glad the game was generally well received. I'm sorry if the scum to town ratio was off. Should have gone with my gut.

I'm currently thinking of ideas for my next game.

It was far better than any of those games over at AF that got a bit nasty!

Now I'm even starting to think that the only reason that that ever happened was because it was AF ... lol.

I can't imagine clashing with anyone here like I did over there.

Even when it's some of the same people ... I think even my own behavior has improved ... it's easier to be less toxic when you're in a less toxic atmosphere, ya know? I really feel like AF was turning me into someone I'm not.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 4 users Like EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • TheGulegon, Smercury44, Aliza, Aroura

I think Aroura nailed it with her post about Smerc being too clean. Everything Smerc said was town enough but her positioning on the wagons kept troubling me. And then she disappeared and everyone got much more dirty than she did.

And Evie, I kept wondering why everyone was trusting him. Myself included. But I assumed there was only one scum left.

I figured Aliza would turn green in the end. Something about how she faced being lynched knowing that she was going to flip green.

I was really happy to see how people got into it though, especially the new players who picked it up really quickly. There were posts where I read it thinking, oh, they've got the hang of the game now and are getting into it.
The following 8 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado, TheGulegon, Smercury44, Paleophyte, Aliza, Joods, Aroura, mlmooney89

(12-09-2018, 12:30 AM)Smercury44 Wrote:
(12-08-2018, 11:58 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: Oh @Aliza I wanna point out that you played fine for a first game ... far better than I did (and it should go without saying that Pale played amazing).

If I suggested at all that you were doing a poor job as Town if you were Town ... Aliza ... that was my scummy bastard self trying to make you look scummy when you were really just genuinely uncertain.

Plus, you were RIGHT to read me as scum and many of the tells you pointed out were correct!  Thumbs Up

He’s absolutely right @Aliza your final read on me was pretty spot on as well Thumbs Up

I suspected you from the get-go. I accused you of cutting yourself a little Smercury-shaped hole in the net I'd used to fish you and Mathilda out. I tried to reason your innocence, but it was hard.
The following 3 users Like Aliza's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado, Paleophyte, Aroura

@Mathilda I think Aliza played at least above average for a new town player ... I remember being far more confused than she was in my first town game.

Also, don't you think that Pale was amazing for a first game? M1436 He somehow knew like all the acronyms and terms so quickly ... I even saw him talk about OMGUS and he talked about what ScumPale would and wouldn't do ... etc... I felt like I was watching a player from MafiaScum and he had never played before?! Color me impressed.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

The following 1 user Likes EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Aroura

enough of the ass slapping lets do another game...

(12-09-2018, 12:43 AM)Schrodinger's Outlaw Wrote: enough of the ass slapping lets do another game...

Well if I play a game with you I'll have to take you off ignore. Can you behave yourself? That is the question, lol.

(12-09-2018, 12:44 AM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:
(12-09-2018, 12:43 AM)Schrodinger's Outlaw Wrote: enough of the ass slapping lets do another game...

Well if I play a game with you I'll have to take you off ignore. Can you behave yourself? That is the question, lol.
me? never.

(12-08-2018, 10:07 PM)Aliza Wrote:
(12-08-2018, 09:54 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:
(12-08-2018, 09:52 PM)Aliza Wrote: Let the record show that Evie is suddenly sounding very scummy to me.

lol. Pale was scum a minute ago, lol.

I don't know how I'm supposed to defend myself if you all end up turning on me ... we're fucked if that happens, I think, lol.

How can you trust someone to agree to be town? You said that I couldn't be trusted because "wouldn't that be what scum would say anyway?" And here you are ready to trust Paleo's word?

You asserted outright that Paleo is not scum because you were setting up a rapport of trust. Link

Why?

Because you're the scum. You bussed Gully, you framed Aroura for Mooney's kill, you voted to off Ato so you could get rid of that townie, and you spared me for the extra day to be torn apart by the wolves. You took care of the Mathilda in the NK because she wasn't accepting that I was scum and she's an experienced enough player to express it. Now you've attempted to make an alliance with Paleo so you could pit Aroura and Smerc against each other, but only after you NK Paleo tonight.

And yes, you have the inside scoop.

I noticed no one liked this post when I made it. Here is a fresh opportunity to do so now that the game is over.
The following 5 users Like Aliza's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado, Paleophyte, Smercury44, Mathilda, Aroura

(12-09-2018, 12:55 AM)Aliza Wrote:
(12-08-2018, 10:07 PM)Aliza Wrote:
(12-08-2018, 09:54 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: lol. Pale was scum a minute ago, lol.

I don't know how I'm supposed to defend myself if you all end up turning on me ... we're fucked if that happens, I think, lol.

How can you trust someone to agree to be town? You said that I couldn't be trusted because "wouldn't that be what scum would say anyway?" And here you are ready to trust Paleo's word?

You asserted outright that Paleo is not scum because you were setting up a rapport of trust. Link

Why?

Because you're the scum. You bussed Gully, you framed Aroura for Mooney's kill, you voted to off Ato so you could get rid of that townie, and you spared me for the extra day to be torn apart by the wolves. You took care of the Mathilda in the NK because she wasn't accepting that I was scum and she's an experienced enough player to express it. Now you've attempted to make an alliance with Paleo so you could pit Aroura and Smerc against each other, but only after you NK Paleo tonight.

And yes, you have the inside scoop.

I noticed no one liked this post when I made it. Here is a fresh opportunity to do so now that the game is over.

I was trying to use my town cred to give the illusion that it was a bad post Tongue

But yeah, I'll kudos it now, because it wasn't a bad post ... it was surprisingly skilled for a n00b.

• Aliza

(12-09-2018, 12:55 AM)Aliza Wrote: I noticed no one liked this post when I made it. Here is a fresh opportunity to do so now that the game is over.

There's a lot of posts I would have liked to like but I was dead so had to make sure not to influence the game. But well done!
The following 3 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • Aroura, Joods, EvieTheAvocado

So I hope the new players enjoyed playing and that you want to continue playing future games. I think everyone did really well and it was a delight to see really get into it. I was just chuckling away watching people get into debates about people's alignments and motivation from information we generated ourselves.
The following 3 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • Joods, Aliza, EvieTheAvocado

So, I was right Dodgy
The following 4 users Like Atothetheist's post:
  • Aliza, EvieTheAvocado, Smercury44, mlmooney89

(12-09-2018, 09:56 AM)Mathilda Wrote: So I hope the new players enjoyed playing and that you want to continue playing future games. I think everyone did really well and it was a delight to see really get into it. I was just chuckling away watching people get into debates about people's alignments and motivation from information we generated ourselves.

I definitely enjoyed it and I will play in the future.
The following 3 users Like Aliza's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado, Mathilda, Joods

(12-09-2018, 10:35 AM)Atothetheist Wrote: So, I was right Dodgy

I was so happy when everyone completely ignored you when you told them to look into the possibility of me being scum, lol.

• Aliza

(12-09-2018, 05:23 PM)Aliza Wrote:
(12-09-2018, 09:56 AM)Mathilda Wrote: So I hope the new players enjoyed playing and that you want to continue playing future games. I think everyone did really well and it was a delight to see really get into it. I was just chuckling away watching people get into debates about people's alignments and motivation from information we generated ourselves.

I definitely enjoyed it and I will play in the future.

That long post you made describing the case where anyone could be scum. As I read that I thought, oh, she's got the bug now.
The following 4 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado, Smercury44, Joods, Aliza

Yeah! That's hot it starts!

[Image: giphy.webp]

• Joods

Please, dear mods ... change the word "hot" to "how" in my previous post ... it's upsetting the grammar Nazi inside of me.