Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mafia Game #1 - Plain old Vanilla mafia

(12-08-2018, 11:25 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:
(12-08-2018, 11:20 PM)Joods Wrote:
(12-08-2018, 11:09 PM)Paleophyte Wrote: That's why Evie was getting nervous at the end.  Facepalm I'll get you next time you rotten little avocado!

I cannot tell you how much I was laughing over here because I knew exactly why he was doing what he was doing. And all this time I was wondering why no one was questioning his scum slip of saying that there was only one scum left. The only way he would have known how many scum there were, is if he were scum. And he was! 

Yes, I put three scum in the game. I personally felt with it being vanilla and there were no power roles, 3 scum to 6 town was fair. Town actually increased their odds of winning with the first lynch. What you all didn't count on was Evie being so good at fooling you all into thinking he was town.  Big Grin

I disagree with this reasoning, especially considering noobies were involved. Mafia won in three days despite one of them getting lynched on day one. 3-9 is a rough setup for town.

Well, in my defense, I had ten players. Had the 10th one not blocked me after asking to play, knowing I was hosting and he was in the sign ups, it probably would have worked out better. And I did look all over the wiki to see what the proper ratio of town v scum would be for a 9 player vanilla game, but I couldn't find anything so I just winged it.
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.
The following 3 users Like Joods's post:
  • Aliza, Paleophyte, EvieTheAvocado

By the way ... when I was talking about not being sure what the ratios would be for a pure vanilla game ... and getting confused about it ... that was genuine confusion. I was genuinely confused by people thinking 3 scum would be unbalanced because I was there thinking "Huh? But it is 3 scum?

And I genuinely was getting mixed up with the fact that it's a 3:1 ratio and 9:3=3:1 so with 9 players it should be 3 scum ... but I was getting so mixed up over the fact that obviously, it should be 9 TOWN for 3 scum ... which would be a total of 12 players.

In order to stop being confused ... I wasn't actually convinced by Pale, Aroura or Mathilda talking about what the fair ratio would be ... because I was there thinking that the fair ratio must just be what is set up. So I had to do some research on MafiaScum before I realized that the game was unbalanced in mine and Smerc's favor ... and ONLY THEN I could pretend like I suddenly understood and be like "Oh yeah so it must just be 1 scum left" when I knew it was 2.

Also ... you can probably now see why I was so adamant about not lynching Smerc towards the end, lol.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 1 user Likes EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Smercury44

(12-08-2018, 11:39 PM)Aroura Wrote: Wow, so there were 3 scum the whole time.  

I would say well played but I've been trying to lynch Smerc since day one but no one else would listen! lol

However, well played to the players.  Not that town had a chance with a ratio of 3/6.  We only could miss once, we had to be spot after that.

A vanilla game where town has no power should have, if anything, less scum.  You can add scum if town has More power. It makes no sense to take away power roles AND add scum.

Ah well, live and learn.

Congratz to the winners

I looked everywhere and couldn't find anything letting me know what a good ratio was. Sad
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.
The following 2 users Like Joods's post:
  • Aroura, EvieTheAvocado

I do apologize for stating to the new players so emphatically that there would only be 2 scum. This was stated to be a game to teach beginners the ropes, so I assumed it would follow basic Mafia rules and balances.
The following 4 users Like Aroura's post:
  • Aliza, Paleophyte, EvieTheAvocado, Mathilda

Sweet 9lb 7oz baby Jesus it’s over Weeping I hate being scum, it stresses me out so much and I hate lying to people or maligning them falsely.

I was lucky to be on Evie’s team Big Grin but I’m proud I held my own a bit with how rusty I am. People were on me DAY 1 and I had to keep slippery Rofl2
[Image: 320-C6-ED7-97-CD-4-AB2-A60-A-759-A45-FB7-FE8.jpg]
"The Thinking Atheist forum" “The Thinking Atheist forum closed down" “TTA Forum”
The following 3 users Like Smercury44's post:
  • Aliza, TheGulegon, EvieTheAvocado

@Aliza your long post of suspicions had me giggling like crazy, I don’t think I’ve ever been described so deviously!! Chuckle Heart
"The Thinking Atheist forum" “The Thinking Atheist forum closed down" “TTA Forum”
The following 4 users Like Smercury44's post:
  • Tartarus Sauce, Aliza, TheGulegon, EvieTheAvocado

(12-08-2018, 11:41 PM)Aroura Wrote: I do apologize for stating to the new players so emphatically that there would only be 2 scum.  This was stated to be a game to teach beginners the ropes, so I assumed it would follow basic Mafia rules and balances.

I looked at basic mafia rules. Either the ratios weren't listed or I missed them because I didn't know exactly where to look. 

Again, I apologize for that.
      Christianity: 
  • Aroura, EvieTheAvocado

(12-08-2018, 11:40 PM)Joods Wrote:

I would say well played but I've been trying to lynch Smerc since day one but no one else would listen! lol

However, well played to the players.  Not that town had a chance with a ratio of 3/6.  We only could miss once, we had to be spot after that.

A vanilla game where town has no power should have, if anything, less scum.  You can add scum if town has More power. It makes no sense to take away power roles AND add scum.

Ah well, live and learn.

Congratz to the winners

I looked everywhere and couldn't find anything letting me know what a good ratio was. Sad
It's ok, I don't mean to sound harsh about your game.  I had a great time playing with everyone!  I just feel really bad that I basically lied to both Paleo and Aliza accidently during the game, giving them assurances I had no right to give.

As CD always said, never second guess the mod!
The following 5 users Like Aroura's post:
  • Joods, Aliza, Smercury44, TheGulegon, EvieTheAvocado

I do wish I had gone to bed instead of checking the thread now, however, lol. Goodbye sleep.
The following 3 users Like Aroura's post:
  • Smercury44, Aliza, EvieTheAvocado

I believe Mathilda is up next to host a game.
      Christianity: 
The following 4 users Like Joods's post:
  • Smercury44, Aroura, Paleophyte, EvieTheAvocado

This whole getting lynched day 1 & watching the rest of the game, anxiety free, only to have your team go on to win, is pretty sweet! Angel
The following 4 users Like TheGulegon's post:
  • Smercury44, Joods, EvieTheAvocado, mlmooney89

Well played Scum Buddies! Girl_devil
The following 3 users Like TheGulegon's post:
  • Smercury44, Aliza, EvieTheAvocado

(12-08-2018, 11:39 PM)Joods Wrote:
(12-08-2018, 11:25 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:
(12-08-2018, 11:20 PM)Joods Wrote: I cannot tell you how much I was laughing over here because I knew exactly why he was doing what he was doing. And all this time I was wondering why no one was questioning his scum slip of saying that there was only one scum left. The only way he would have known how many scum there were, is if he were scum. And he was! 

Yes, I put three scum in the game. I personally felt with it being vanilla and there were no power roles, 3 scum to 6 town was fair. Town actually increased their odds of winning with the first lynch. What you all didn't count on was Evie being so good at fooling you all into thinking he was town.  Big Grin

I disagree with this reasoning, especially considering noobies were involved. Mafia won in three days despite one of them getting lynched on day one. 3-9 is a rough setup for town.

Well, in my defense, I had ten players. Had the 10th one not blocked me after asking to play, knowing I was hosting and he was in the sign ups, it probably would have worked out better. And I did look all over the wiki to see what the proper ratio of town v scum would be for a 9 player vanilla game, but I couldn't find anything so I just winged it.

Just so you are aware, even with 10 players, town would have lost today.  Because that player would have been NKed, leaving the game at 2v2 tomorrow, which is an automatic loss (scum aren't going to vote themselves off).  Scum either ties it and NK's, or tricks town into a 3 person lynch wagon, when town assumes again there is only 1 scum left.
If that one player had been an SK or something, maybe, because then they have a chance to NK a mafia member as well.

For future ref, unless there are roles that really mitigate things, even role madness games tend to be balanced this way, that town has 2 mislynches before losing.  That basic rule of thumb will really help even when setting up multi-ball games.

So for instance, in a game with 12 players you can have 6 people be scum and 6 people be town, if you make 2 scum teams of 3 each, or of two each and two indies, because the teams will be hitting each other at night at least sometimes.

Does that make sense?  

Anyway, I'll stop ragging on you.  It IS just a game, and everyone had fun playing. Smile
The following 5 users Like Aroura's post:
  • Aliza, Joods, EvieTheAvocado, Mathilda, mlmooney89

Thanks for hosting Joods, and well played scum team!
  • Aliza, Joods, EvieTheAvocado

Ah well, live and learn.

Congratz to the winners

Here's one for you, Joods:

[Image: 16499081043b6e4342dbeb8ccbad336454475f7d...69b4f6.jpg]
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

The following 3 users Like EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Aliza, Aroura, Joods

(12-08-2018, 11:43 PM)Aroura Wrote: I just feel really bad that I basically lied to both Paleo and Aliza accidently during the game, giving them assurances I had no right to give.

No worries Aurora. I was sure it was only 2 scum too. Not that it would have mattered. I was too focused on Aliza. Facepalm
The following 3 users Like Paleophyte's post:
  • Aroura, Aliza, EvieTheAvocado

Oh @Aliza I wanna point out that you played fine for a first game ... far better than I did (and it should go without saying that Pale played amazing).

If I suggested at all that you were doing a poor job as Town if you were Town ... Aliza ... that was my scummy bastard self trying to make you look scummy when you were really just genuinely uncertain.

Plus, you were RIGHT to read me as scum and many of the tells you pointed out were correct!  Thumbs Up

• Aliza, Smercury44, TheGulegon

As stressful as this was it was a lot of fun, thanks for hosting @Joods!!!

You were all amazing scum hunters. I slipped by just by watching everyone else and taking good advice from @EvieTheAvocado on the night phases. In fact, while @Mathilda was trying to tech the n00bs, I was taking careful note Girl_yes2 you were all really good players.
The following 8 users Like Smercury44's post:
  • Aroura, Paleophyte, TheGulegon, Joods, EvieTheAvocado, Aliza, mlmooney89, Mathilda

(12-08-2018, 11:47 PM)Joods Wrote: I believe Mathilda is up next to host a game.

@Mathilda when is that likely to be? I need my fix and MafiaScum intro games have two week long days! WTF?!? I can see going maybe 4 days, but two weeks?!?
The following 4 users Like Paleophyte's post:
  • TheGulegon, Joods, EvieTheAvocado, mlmooney89

(12-08-2018, 11:53 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:

Ah well, live and learn.

Congratz to the winners

I need this image for future reference. Thanks!
      Christianity: 
  • Aroura, EvieTheAvocado

(12-09-2018, 12:02 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:
(12-08-2018, 11:47 PM)Joods Wrote: I believe Mathilda is up next to host a game.

@Mathilda when is that likely to be? I need my fix and MafiaScum intro games have two week long days! WTF?!? I can see going maybe 4 days, but two weeks?!?

Seconded!
Make dat Mob thread, Tildie!!
I want mo Mafia!!!
The following 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado

(12-09-2018, 12:02 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:

I've already called dibs on the first spot in her game. 

@Mathilda where are you??
      Christianity: 
The following 1 user Likes Joods's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado

(12-09-2018, 12:02 AM)Paleophyte Wrote: I need my fix and MafiaScum intro games have two week long days! WTF?!? I can see going maybe 4 days, but two weeks?!?

It's a whole different mood over there.

It's somehow far more competitive and far less intense at the same time.

It's definitely a good way to become a better player ... but it's not as fun ... at least not without friends. I'm sure it would be fine if we were allowed to have a whole game to ourselves over there Tongue Certainly less time pressure with 2 weeks Tongue The playing with strangers who take it very seriously is what makes it less fun for me.

• Smercury44, Aroura, mlmooney89

(12-09-2018, 12:05 AM)Joods Wrote:
(12-08-2018, 11:53 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:
(12-08-2018, 11:40 PM)Joods Wrote: I looked everywhere and couldn't find anything letting me know what a good ratio was. Sad

I need this image for future reference. Thanks!

I took it from this thread, if you're interested:

https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?tit...er_Vanilla

The following 1 user Likes EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Joods

She's probably asleep, it's midnight for her.

Speaking of, good night!
  • EvieTheAvocado, TheGulegon, Joods