Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What are you doing right now?

My new motherboard just arrived but it has the wrong power connector. I'm going to wire it straight from the power supply. I may be some time.

Just finished cleaning up after doing some drywall taping. The Wall from Hell (a towering stairway wall with multiple weird angles) may actually be finished by the end of April.
The following 1 user Likes Astreja's post:
  • pattylt

^ Are you using a sponge or sandpaper to smooth the compound?
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

(04-19-2024, 11:33 PM)Fireball Wrote: ^ Are you using a sponge or sandpaper to smooth the compound?

Usually just a very light dusting with sandpaper, because most of the smoothing was done with the drywall knife and I just have to feather the edges and slap primer on it.  I occasionally do wet sanding, often with a washcloth.

I used to have an interesting sanding contraption that was essentially a water trap attached to my shop vacuum, but I don't have it anymore.  It worked great but it was a pain to clean - the dust mixing with the water created a mud-like sludge that had to be scooped out of the water bucket and put in the trash.

Nowadays I prefer to use the slightly more expensive low-dust drywall compound, which tends to fall straight down rather than lingering in the air.  Worth the extra few bucks, IMO.
The following 1 user Likes Astreja's post:
  • Fireball

(04-20-2024, 02:45 AM)Astreja Wrote:
(04-19-2024, 11:33 PM)Fireball Wrote: ^ Are you using a sponge or sandpaper to smooth the compound?

Usually just a very light dusting with sandpaper, because most of the smoothing was done with the drywall knife and I just have to feather the edges and slap primer on it.  I occasionally do wet sanding, often with a washcloth.

I used to have an interesting sanding contraption that was essentially a water trap attached to my shop vacuum, but I don't have it anymore.  It worked great but it was a pain to clean - the dust mixing with the water created a mud-like sludge that had to be scooped out of the water bucket and put in the trash.

Nowadays I prefer to use the slightly more expensive low-dust drywall compound, which tends to fall straight down rather than lingering in the air.  Worth the extra few bucks, IMO.

I remember my first foray into drywall work (ca 1988), and it's not a happy memory. I was really bad at it. I ended up hiring a taper. It was amazing how well he did, to my unexperienced self. I'd shmear it on, sand it down, and repeat, ad infinitum. I've since done better. When it comes to construction, I was more of a 2 pound hammer kind of guy.  Blush
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Feeding the parasites, um........ song birds.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

Taking meds and dealing with the aches and pains of arthritis that come with rainy weather.  walking-stick
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

Bought a new set of tires for the kids vehicle today.

It just won't stop until I'm dead.

Awesome edibles in celebration of 4/20.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]

Digesting and fighting off food coma. Old men should probably not over eat.
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Fireball

Hockey playoffs have started...
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

Back from an indoor soccer match. Watching local news. Doing laundry.
Is this sig thing on?

Looking at a schedule for a new pro women's volleyball league that has a team in town.
Is this sig thing on?

Watching local news. Posting for the first time in over a month on Mental Health Forum.
Is this sig thing on?