Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Major server slowdown.....?

Good idea Dom. I could also post in a thread, maybe this one, when I am doing a back-up. And if people post in a thread when they have just experienced a connection issue then we can compare times.
The following 1 user Likes Mathilda's post:
  • Dom

(10-22-2019, 03:03 PM)Mathilda Wrote: Good idea Dom. I could also post in a thread, maybe this one, when I am doing a back-up. And if people post in a thread when they have just experienced a connection issue then we can compare times.

That's a good idea. New thread though, this one meanders.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Mathilda

922 Mbps download and I can detect something of a lag. Sometimes.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

(10-22-2019, 02:20 PM)Dom Wrote: Maybe do a poll to see how many are experiencing this?

Yes.  Good suggestion.

The poll could ask "Do you have any timing out issue Y/N?"    "If so, seldom; often; constantly?"
"Which version of Win are you using, XP; v.7; v.8; v.10"    "Are you using Linux or another OS?"
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(10-22-2019, 03:55 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: 922 Mbps download and I can detect something of a lag. Sometimes.

Which pisses me off to a very large degree, you smug cunt!      Big Grin
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

(10-22-2019, 04:04 PM)SYZ Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 03:55 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: 922 Mbps download and I can detect something of a lag. Sometimes.

Which pisses me off to a very large degree, you smug cunt!      Big Grin

Try downloading 22 terabytes of files on a 30 mbps connection.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

(10-22-2019, 04:02 PM)SYZ Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 02:20 PM)Dom Wrote: Maybe do a poll to see how many are experiencing this?

Yes.  Good suggestion.

The poll could ask "Do you have any timing out issue Y/N?"    "If so, seldom; often; constantly?"
"Which version of Win are you using, XP; v.7; v.8; v.10"    "Are you using Linux or another OS?"

Ok, you're hired! Please post that poll.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

(10-22-2019, 04:17 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Try downloading 22 terabytes of files on a 30 mbps connection.

Me rolls on floor, tears of laughter rolling down cheeks, clutching family jewels and crying MERCY!!!

I haven't had too many problems linking to this site or having connection dropping issues. Although with Edge I did notice that sometimes when I try to post a reply it can vanish into thin air somehow. But one thing I do know is that as far as Edge & Explorer 11 are concerned they're almost useless compared to Firefox. I only use them at work because I have too, to access certain company sites.

When I try going to youtube or Netflix or Primevideo they are painfully slow to load and do drop the connection far too frequently, Firefox starts running the vids right away without an issue every time so far.

As for windows 10 at work, there are lots of times when I have to go into our local network and force it to connect with one or more servers I use throughout the day.
[Image: 20220702-163925.jpg]

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

Quote:I visit a couple dozen different sites on a regular, daily basis, and this is the only site I have this issue with.

I'm in the same boat.  Every site I go to works fine except this one - and that's only about half the time.

Weird.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • SYZ

Another stupid idea for those having trouble. Download a Linux live CD. These run from a CD or flash drive and don't install on the hard disk. Fire up the browser and see if you still have problems. If not it is an interaction with Windows and AD. If so, it is probably a problem with something AD does not like about your ISP or system.

Another idea for any poll. What malware/anti-virus system are you running? Could that system be gagging on AD for some reason?
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

I'm using Windows Defender but I have an assortment of ad and pop up blockers that I wonder about.
  • SYZ

And I'd forgotten, I also get connections issues on my Fire tablet, which is Android based. Not as frequently, but most every day as well.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

I'm getting an increasing number of timeouts.  I'm having to refresh the connection
five or six times on many occasions, both with previewing and  posting my comments
and viewing the forum in general.  Very frustrating.  Is there any chance of feedback
about this common issue from the mods or admin?  What have the  server operator/domain
controllers had to say about this?  Judging by this thread, the problem is not mine alone.

Confused

This failure to connect/time out problem has further deteriorated over the past 5 or 6 weeks, and it's
now at the point whereby I have to refresh multiple times to read and/or post comments—sometimes
as much as 15 or 20 times. It's making it very irritating to use the forum, plus hugely time-wasting.
Often it'll take 3 or 4 minutes just to post a single comment.

Everything seems to be okay at my end; ping, packet loss, and RTT are all fine and what I'd expect.
My speeds are relatively sufficient; 36 down and 12 up with a 10ms avg ping. Handshake seems
to be okay, but then zilch.

And suggestions appreciated.      Thumbs Up

I've noticed it getting worse over the last couple of days after having been okay for a while.  Nothing like what you are describing but still it can get annoying.

I've found that if I copy what I have just written and fully exit the site and then re-enter, go to the thread, and paste it usually works.  But it is still a pain in the ass.
  • SYZ

I'm not a prolific poster by any means, but I have seen none of this here across a couple of platforms. Weird.

I suspect internet traffic is way, way up with more people using it for commerce and entertainment.

In any network, there are choke points; some of those may be in effect.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 1 user Likes Chas's post:
  • Free

Ah that explains a few things - I've not been able to get on the board at all for the past 2-3 days haha.

Good to see things back up an running now though Smile

Strangely enough, despite a history of similar issues, my connection has been trouble free for at least a couple of months.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Anyone else having trouble with the board being super slow this morning?  Taking forever to load a page.  And this time it isn't Firefox.  Chrome is the same way.

Recently i cant make posts. When i hit the send button i am getting timeouts more frequently than ever. Have to keep re-loading the original page and make my post again, sometimes several times, until it works.
R.I.P. Hannes

I had been getting that too, recently, usually in the mornings.  Most times I gave up and came back later.

But today it isn't making the connection at all for a long time.  It just sits there and flips me the bird.

That so weird. I am situated out on the Left Coast, and get very few glitches. I believe the server is in Europe. I have longer pipes and more hops than many, so the whole pipe-hop thing does not parse out. I use Chrome on a chromebook and in a Windows 7 lappy.

Yep... I'm having increasing difficulties with making a connection.  Ping, packet loss, and
line speed are OK at my end, but I have to refresh multiple times when reading new posts
and posting a new comment—sometimes 10 or 12 times.

And I also can report the same as other members...

Quote:Anyone else having trouble with the board being super slow this morning?  Taking forever to load a page.  And this time it isn't Firefox.  Chrome is the same way.

Quote:Recently i cant make posts. When i hit the send button i am getting timeouts more frequently than ever. Have to keep re-loading the original page and make my post again, sometimes several times, until it works.

Quote:But today it isn't making the connection at all for a long time.  It just sits there and flips me the bird.

This is becoming increasingly irritating, and is obviously a glitch at the server end, as I have
zero issues with around 100 other sites I visit daily at all different hours.      Angry