Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What movie did you last see?

I re-watched the original of 'The Avengers' last night. So many good acrobatic/fight scenes. My favorite is when The Hulk whaps Loki on the floor multiple times and nearly kills him but doesn't finish the job.

But I smiled during it sometimes too. How does Hawkeye have a dozen arrows in his quiver and fires them 100 times? Why does it take The Hulk 30 seconds to convert in one scene and yet Banner can change to Hulk "before the bullet hit his mouth" when he tried to kill himself?

And I love how some superheroes are "naturally-skilled" (Black Widow, Hawkeye, Tony Stark) while others have powers that don't make much sense (Hulk, Captain America, Thor). And that's just The Avengers. The rest of the Marvel (and DC) universes get weirder. LOL!

I think I'm writing this in some anger that Marvel is killing off characters. Quicksilver, Black Widow, Iron Man, Captain America, etc. Cheap tricks for a few movies and no thought for the future...
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

Having John Steed and Emma Peel fixed firmly in mind, I was confused for a moment as to what Loki and the Hulk had to do with it.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Cavebear, Kathryn E

(04-04-2023, 12:51 PM)Dānu Wrote: Having John Steed and Emma Peel fixed firmly in mind, I was confused for a moment as to what Loki and the Hulk had to do with it.

I understand.  John Steed and Emma Peel were favorites of mine for years (as was Secret Agent and then The Prisoner).  The attraction and banter was essential to the show.  But different Avengers.  Smile

A Man Called Otto

Quote:Otto is a grump who's given up on life following the loss of his wife and wants to end it all. When a young family moves in nearby, he meets his match in quick-witted Marisol, leading to a friendship that will turn his world around.

Made me laugh and cry.

The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • mordant

Soft & Quiet

Quote:Playing out in real time, an elementary school teacher organizes a mixer of like-minded women, when she encounters a woman from her past, leading to a volatile chain of events.

So far it's an uncomfortable viewing, because it's playing as though it's in support of conservative ideology. If these women don't die, I'm going to downvote the film.

[Image: 28-days-later_d8768c8c-851921_ce6754f2-0...1613504158]

Very cool, but seems like 4 weeks isn't enough time for some guys to go as insane as they were.

~~~

[Image: 28_weeks_later_EB05170_B_2_framed2-96666...1611687705]

It could all have been avoided by having a sentinel on that very important person.

(05-07-2023, 01:54 PM)pocaracas Wrote: [Image: 28-days-later_d8768c8c-851921_ce6754f2-0...1613504158]

Very cool, but seems like 4 weeks isn't enough time for some guys to go as insane as they were.

~~~

[Image: 28_weeks_later_EB05170_B_2_framed2-96666...1611687705]

It could all have been avoided by having a sentinel on that very important person.

This obviously made you think.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

[Image: a451f059-6459-437a-a345-4dad644dcdcb.jpg]
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Cavebear

(07-08-2023, 07:16 PM)Dānu Wrote: [Image: a451f059-6459-437a-a345-4dad644dcdcb.jpg]

Depends on what you mean by "watching movies". I watch movies on TV sometimes. Last night, I watched 2 of the last Star Wars movies (Rey and Ben?).

But the last time I watched a movie in an actual movie theater was AntZ, probably when it 1st came out. It was my last time in a theater. Teens were running around, yelling at the screen and generally ruining the experience. I asked an usher about it and he said they were basically their only customers and used the place as a clubhouse. Weird.

In theaters: Guardians of the Galaxy 3

At home: Paul
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.
The following 2 users Like Joods's post:
  • Cavebear, Gwaithmir

(07-08-2023, 07:38 PM)Joods Wrote: In theaters: Guardians of the Galaxy 3

Never heard of 'Paul'. But I have to check on that one!
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Joods

(07-08-2023, 08:16 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(07-08-2023, 07:38 PM)Joods Wrote: In theaters: Guardians of the Galaxy 3

Never heard of 'Paul'.  But I have to check on that one!

If you get it, watch the uncut or unrated version. It's hilarious.  Dance
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.
The following 1 user Likes Joods's post:
  • Cavebear

(07-08-2023, 08:22 PM)Joods Wrote:
(07-08-2023, 08:16 PM)Cavebear Wrote: Never heard of 'Paul'.  But I have to check on that one!

If you get it, watch the uncut or unrated version. It's hilarious.  Dance

Uncut and unrated always seems better.
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Joods

I watched several movies on Internet Archives recently.  If you haven't heard of this site it's quite amazing, particularly if you love old films.   There are many silent films, a whole lot of old schlocky si-fi films from the 40's and 50's plus quite a lot of Film Noir style of movies.

I watched The Bad Seed, from 1956 because I remember my mother talking so much about it.  It's very interesting.  The actress who plays the little girl in it is fantastic.  It does get a little overly dramatic though but it's still worth watching. 

https://archive.org/details/TheBadSeed19561

Anyway, I can get lost for hours on Internet Archives. It's a pretty interesting place.

[Image: 51ulau+epsL.jpg]
                                                         T4618

[Image: Piece_of_the_Action_movie_poster.jpg]

Popcorn
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

[Image: 92957_6_large.jpg]

Very cool, except for the non-ending.

[Image: MOVEJ3650__62754.1679579317.jpg?c=2]

Vivekananda

[Image: hells-crossroads-5.jpg?w=829]

Vivekananda

[Image: Duellistsposter.jpg]

Popcorn
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

The Chosen begins early in the ministry of Christ. What I find interesting is the interaction with His disciples.

It follows the Gospels in order and uses basically the words found there. For the believer it's a tear jerker for sure!

It's on prime Video, 3 seasons to watch now and the 4th coming at the end of the year.

I can't remember the actors name who plays Christ, but he is fantastic, the best I have ever seen in that role.

[Image: Toys_poster.jpg]

Popcorn

The Invisible man.

There really wasn't much to look at.
The following 5 users Like no one's post:
  • Minimalist, pattylt, Gwaithmir, Dancefortwo, epronovost

Oppenheimer.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

[Image: Treasureisland1999.jpg]

Possibly the worst film version of this story I've ever seen.  Dodgy

Hereditary

I think I found me a batch of frumious bandersnatch. Dance