Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What movie did you last see?

(11-08-2019, 04:47 PM)OakTree500 Wrote: Annihilation

Plot:
A women joins a small group to investigate an area of land called "The Shimmer" which sprung up and out from some sort of meteorite that has crash landed on earth. Within the shimmer, strange things happen. 

Thoughts:
This is from the same dude who wrote/directed Ex Machina (who also Wrote 28 Days Later, Sunshine and Dredd, as well as writing 'The Beach' [The novel of which the movie is based on]) and has quickly become one of my favourites. He's on the list of "whatever this guy does, I'm watching it". The movie itself, is full of questions and not a lot of answers, but I enjoy that - I don't think everything needs to be answered, and some things are more interesting/horrifying when left to the imagination. The ending in particular is just bonkers, but again I enjoyed it. Everybody in it is great; Natalie Portman, Oscar Isaac, Tessa Thompson all bring their best to this movie, as do the supporting cast. Some seriously fucked up moments, that feed into the "what in the hell is going on here" vibe this gives off through out.

If you love some weird Sci-Fi shit, check this out  Thumbs Up

Yeah, I watched it a couple times.   Confused
The following 2 users Like Alan V's post:
  • OakTree500, Gwaithmir

(11-08-2019, 04:51 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: And keep in mind that the director didn't read the book. "I made a dream about the book." Yeah, right.

Given the above, it's still an interesting movie. Just don't read the trilogy first.

Yes I did see that recently haha. I've added the book onto my list, [and from what I understand the book is in itself inspired by "The colour out of space" by H.P.Lovecraft] so will check that out. The movie is awesome, I really enjoyed it.

(11-08-2019, 05:34 PM)OakTree500 Wrote:
(11-08-2019, 04:51 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: And keep in mind that the director didn't read the book. "I made a dream about the book." Yeah, right.

Given the above, it's still an interesting movie. Just don't read the trilogy first.

Yes I did see that recently haha. I've added the book onto my list, [and from what I understand the book is in itself inspired by "The colour out of space" by H.P.Lovecraft] so will check that out. The movie is awesome, I really enjoyed it.

Nicholas Cage stars in the movie versions of "The Color Out of Space".
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

I really enjoyed Tessa Thompson, but I didn't care much for the rest of the movie. Except for the bear. The bear was a standout in an otherwise unremarkable ensemble of oddities.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

(11-08-2019, 08:20 PM)Dānu Wrote: I really enjoyed Tessa Thompson, but I didn't care much for the rest of the movie.  Except for the bear.  The bear was a standout in an otherwise unremarkable ensemble of oddities.

I liked the big gator. Our Hero showed some very practical form dealing with that lizardish.

(11-08-2019, 08:26 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(11-08-2019, 08:20 PM)Dānu Wrote: I really enjoyed Tessa Thompson, but I didn't care much for the rest of the movie.  Except for the bear.  The bear was a standout in an otherwise unremarkable ensemble of oddities.

I liked the big gator. Our Hero showed some very practical form dealing with that lizardish.

Big lizards don't impress me. Deadpan Coffee Drinker
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

(11-08-2019, 08:38 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(11-08-2019, 08:26 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

Big lizards don't impress me.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

[Image: Vrru6xx.jpg]

Started watching a very strange movie on Netflix, called "Downsizing" With Matt Damon, who must have been very broke.

The plot: Scientists discover a way to shrink people to 12 cms, and then put them into tiny cities. The plan is to shrink everyone on earth,   to save humans  from extinction from overpopulation .

I tried to watch it, really. However, I only lasted 20 minutes.

"Downsizing is a 2017 American science fiction comedy film directed by Alexander Payne, written by Payne and Jim Taylor and starring Matt Damon, Christoph Waltz, Hong Chau, and Kristen Wiig. It tells the story of Paul and Audrey Safranek, a couple who decide to undertake a newly invented procedure to shrink their bodies so they can start a new life in an experimental community. When Audrey refuses the procedure at the last minute, Paul has to reassess his life and choices after befriending an impoverished activist. Principal photography on the film began in Ontario, Canada, on April 1, 2016. "

Rotten tomatoes audience score; 22%

The following 2 users Like grympy's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, M.Linoge

(11-08-2019, 08:44 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(11-08-2019, 08:38 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(11-08-2019, 08:26 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I liked the big gator. Our Hero showed some very practical form dealing with that lizardish.

Big lizards don't impress me.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

[Image: Vrru6xx.jpg]

[Image: giphy.gif]

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, Gawdzilla Sama

[Image: OrneryBitesizedAfricanmolesnake-size_restricted.gif]

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • M.Linoge

"And I am Ironego!"
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • M.Linoge

[Image: 20000leaguesposter.jpg]

Vivekananda
  • Gwaithmir

Really bad CGI.

Got half way through "Seven Years inTibet" Meh.

One good thing, it has reinforced by belief that the obese Helena Blavatsky never went anywhere near Tibet.

[Image: image.png]

Vivekananda

Lost In Translation, on 123Hulu.
Is this sig thing on?

I recently watched the movie Us, the horror/thriller directed by Jordan Peele. I will say that it's not necessarily scary, just really anxious, with some bits being confusing, and the fights not necessarily being the greatest, but the ending was really good imo and made it worth sitting through.

"...with some tits being confusing..."

Yeah, there's a lot of that these days.

(11-14-2019, 06:02 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: "...with some tits being confusing..."

Yeah, there's a lot of that these days.

I mean, that too.

Although this movie didn't have as many confusing bitties as I would prefer  ROFL2

Just disappointing coming from Peele
The following 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

Watched the 2017 continuation of Riddick last night. Never been a big Vin Diesel fan, but the Riddick series has bee. A guilty pleasure of mine. Something a out the contrived plots and obvious outcome just works in those films.

Watched the first (and hopefully last) installment of Hollywood's bad adaptation of Mitch Rapp, "American Assassin." Mr. Mom actually did a decent job as Hurley, but the maze runner kid was badly miscast cast as the film's lead. Honeztly, I don't think they could have done worse.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • M.Linoge

[Image: muppet-treasure-island11.jpg]

Vivekananda
  • OakTree500

Where the hell were these movies when weekend-on-acid was a thing?

After the Wedding. I thought it was going to be more of a suspense movie, or mystery...and it was that a bit, but I just think it had a really great idea and then kind of went in a direction that was like huh?? Anyway, if you like Michelle Williams (which I do Smile ) it's worth a watch.

(11-17-2019, 05:31 AM)Dānu Wrote: [Image: muppet-treasure-island11.jpg]

I. LOVE. THAT. MOVIE.

"Headless Bill? Headless Bill?" *Cut to headless muppet giving a salute*  ROFL2