Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What movie did you last see?

[Image: ac1b0c99-c57d-44e2-88be-f921ffa7260c_1.c...nBg=FFFFFF]
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 3 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Smercury44, M.Linoge, Aroura

[Image: frozen-snow-forest-i28740.jpg]
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 2 users Like Chas's post:
  • Smercury44, Aroura

(11-03-2018, 06:00 PM)Kim Wrote: Wink
Show ContentSpoiler:
Heart

One came from Jurassic Park.
Step on the gas and wipe that tear away...
The following 1 user Likes Vivian Darkbloom's post:
  • Kim

[Image: martian-IN.jpg]
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 5 users Like Chas's post:
  • Kim, M.Linoge, Smercury44, Gwaithmir, Aroura

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (documentary film) Narrated by Richard Basehart.
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • M.Linoge

(11-04-2018, 03:47 AM)Chas Wrote: https://blogs.lcms.org/wp-content/upload...ian-IN.jpg

One of my faves. Started as a blog and ended up with Ridley Scott directing. Epic story-behind-the-story.

BUT, Mark needed bacteria to make the potatoes grow. When the airlock ruptured the bacteria died. HOWEVER, he had donated many more BMs to the bacteria-candidate pool than six people would have done in 18 days. So he could have restarted the spud farm from the reservoir of poo-poo he had on hand.

AND! If you don't want to run out of ketchup, don't make soup with it.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Gwaithmir

(11-04-2018, 08:10 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote: The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (documentary film) Narrated by Richard Basehart.

I read the book when I was in the sixth grade, with the aid of a LARGE dictionary and a teacher who was trying to stay ahead of me in the book.
  • Gwaithmir

(11-04-2018, 11:36 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 08:10 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote: The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (documentary film) Narrated by Richard Basehart.

I read the book when I was in the sixth grade, with the aid of a LARGE dictionary and a teacher who was trying to stay ahead of me in the book.
I first saw this documentary film at Ft. Lewis, WA while I was waiting to be sent over to Vietnam for my second tour (January, 1970). As I recall, my flight was scheduled for the following morning.
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

(11-04-2018, 11:48 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 11:36 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

I first saw this documentary film at Ft. Lewis, WA while I was waiting to be sent over to Vietnam for my second tour (January, 1970). As I recall, my flight was scheduled for the following morning.

I departed CONUS 11JAN70.
  • Gwaithmir

Human Flow, a documentary about the global refugee crisis by Ai Wei Wei.

The Thing (1982)

Plot:
An Alien crash lands on earth in the Antarctic, and it can become anyone or assimilate any other living thing. A crew stationed out there come into contact with it and figure out that should it make it to the main land, everybody will become assimilated. But how do you find out who's real and who isn't? Also, it's really fucked up.

Thoughts:
I forgot how mental this movie really is until I watch it again. I often remember the transformation from person/animal to "thing" being not that bad, but then you see it and think "Holy shit". Is it scary? It depends on your taste, I personally don't find it scary in a "boo" kind of way, but find it horrifying in a "what the fucking hell is that?" kind of way. Some of the practical effects hold up pretty well, considering this movie is over 30 years old, and the claustrophobic/paranoia feelings that are present through out are what makes this movie as good as it is.

Worth checking out if you haven't!
The following 2 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Full Circle, Marozz

Again, you should check out "The Thing From Another World" (1951). James Arness is the monster. The movie was evidently made so the producer's girlfriend could get some creds. It's campy now.
  • OakTree500

(11-04-2018, 02:25 AM)Chas Wrote: [Image: frozen-snow-forest-i28740.jpg]

You watched Frozen?  I donno, you just don't seem like the kind of guy who'd watch Frozen.  Guess I'm wrong.
                                                         T4618

(11-06-2018, 03:24 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 02:25 AM)Chas Wrote: [Image: frozen-snow-forest-i28740.jpg]

You watched Frozen?  I donno, you just don't seem like the kind of guy who'd watch Frozen.  Guess I'm wrong.

I really like Idina Menzel.  Big Grin
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 3 users Like Chas's post:
  • Kim, Smercury44, Aroura

(11-07-2018, 01:30 PM)Chas Wrote:
(11-06-2018, 03:24 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 02:25 AM)Chas Wrote: [Frozen poster]

I watched Frozen with my daughter when it came out, and I was not really that fussed......UNTIL - 

Show ContentSpoiler:

where I become 100% invested  Big Grin
The following 2 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Chas, Aroura

I had to vacate for some ant treatment, so I dropped in for a movie because there was nothing else to do. So, I saw Can You Forgive Me, without aving heard or seen much about it. Interesting story and compelling, if sad main character (and her lone buddy).
Is this sig thing on?
The following 2 users Like c172's post:
  • Kim, Aroura

(11-07-2018, 01:30 PM)Chas Wrote:
(11-06-2018, 03:24 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: You watched Frozen?  I donno, you just don't seem like the kind of guy who'd watch Frozen.  Guess I'm wrong.

More generally, I like theater, particularly musicals, and movie and animated musicals aren't much of a stretch.
― Napoleon Bonaparte

Don't Open Your Eyes

Quote:A home-care nurse takes a job, but as it proves to be his toughest yet; he is inadvertently pulled into something much more sinister.

Underwhelming. Boring, really.
"The advantage of faith over reason, is that reason requires understanding. Which usually requires education; resources of time and money. 
Religion needs none of that. - It empowers the lowliest idiot to pretend that he is wiser than the wise, ignoring all the indications otherwise "
 - A. Ra

(11-08-2018, 02:27 AM)c172 Wrote: I had to vacate for some ant treatment, so I dropped in for a movie because there was nothing else to do. So, I saw Can You Forgive Me, without aving heard or seen much about it. Interesting story and compelling, if sad main character (and her lone buddy).

I've been wanting to see this. The thing about Lee Isreal was, she was a fantastic writer. If she had written fiction, she would have been celebrated for the strength and veracity of her work.

If you think about it, she actually DID write fiction! Shy

Last night I watched Winchester, which I thought would be an historical drama about Sarah Winchester and the Winchester Mystery House in San José, CA. Instead, it was a second-rate, cliché-ridden ghost story having nothing to do with the actual history of the house or the heiress of the Winchester fortune. I'm glad I got the movie cheaply on DVD instead of paying $12 or more to see it at the local theater. Dodgy
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, Bcat

(11-10-2018, 11:27 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote: Last night I watched Winchester, which I thought would be an historical drama about Sarah Winchester and the Winchester Mystery House in San José, CA. Instead, it was a second-rate, cliché-ridden ghost story having nothing to do with the actual history of the house or the heiress of the Winchester fortune. I'm glad I got the movie cheaply on DVD instead of paying $12 or more to see it at the local theater. Dodgy

Boss Lady wasn't impressed either.

Has anyone seen A Star is Born with Lady Gaga?  I've heard good things about it.  This story has been told 3 times before and I've see them all so I don't know if I want to revisit it again.  The Judy Garland version was pretty good.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Aroura

I liked it pretty well. My parents LOVED it. Not my kind of music, though I do like some of Lady Gaga's stuff in general. Would love to have seen more local landmarks (Arizona), too. That aspect of it was kind of vague, but then, I'm a big freak for "on location". I think they treated the drug aspect of it well (coming from a family where alcohol was rather expertly abused).
Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • Aroura

Incredibles 2. The first one was an origin story, and those rarely rate above 7 for me. But Incredibles got an 8. The second one gets an 8.5. I didn't care about the obvious villain, I was having fun.
The following 3 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Smercury44, M.Linoge, Aroura