Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The trump chronicles

The trump chronicles
(02-13-2020, 10:35 PM)Dom Wrote: In an exclusive interview, Attorney General Bill Barr told ABC News on Thursday that President Donald Trump "has never asked me to do anything in a criminal case” but should stop tweeting about the Justice Department because his tweets “make it impossible for me to do my job.”

Barr’s comments are a rare break with a president who the attorney general has aligned himself with and fiercely defended. But it also puts Barr in line with many of Trump’s supporters on Capitol Hill who say they support the president but wish he’d cut back on his tweets.

“I think it’s time to stop the tweeting about Department of Justice criminal cases,” Barr told ABC News Chief Justice Correspondent Pierre Thomas.

When asked if he was prepared for the consequences of criticizing the president – his boss – Barr said “of course” because his job is to run the Justice Department and make decisions on “what I think is the right thing to do.”

“I’m not going to be bullied or influenced by anybody ... whether it’s Congress, a newspaper editorial board, or the president,” Barr said. “I’m gonna do what I think is right. And you know … I cannot do my job here at the department with a constant background commentary that undercuts me.”

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/barr-bla...d=68963276

Wow, he criticized trump on TV!

Well, not going to try and claim to be a prophet (okok, i just actually did Modest ), but:

I thought about something like this when i read that Barr was willing to appear in front of Congress. There was no reason to change his stance to not appear, unless.....he had one. Not necessarily to spill ALL beans, but this smells an awful lot like something we already experienced: Someone just does not 100% agree with Trump, while still being firmly on his side, voices some concern or even slight criticism...and we all know how Trump will react. I have no doubt that this is the end of Barr. Trump will first smear him, badmouth him, then maye fire him. Barr will realize how delusional he was by thinking this clown can be handked somehow. Then he will either write a book, and/or spill more beans.

Whatever, but one thing is sure: Noone, NOONE is going to tell Donnie about what he can tweet aboiut or not. Its his absolute right to do so! Winking Barr will be disciplined, per tweet of course, and he will be called names and ultimately Donnie will insinuate that Barr was a failure all along. We already know this story, dont we? Popcorn
cetero censeo religionem esse delendam 
The following 1 user Likes Deesse23's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

The trump chronicles
Jerry, i had to agree with you already twice today. Stop that!
cetero censeo religionem esse delendam 

The trump chronicles
(02-14-2020, 07:37 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 10:35 PM)Dom Wrote: In an exclusive interview, Attorney General Bill Barr told ABC News on Thursday that President Donald Trump "has never asked me to do anything in a criminal case” but should stop tweeting about the Justice Department because his tweets “make it impossible for me to do my job.”

Barr’s comments are a rare break with a president who the attorney general has aligned himself with and fiercely defended. But it also puts Barr in line with many of Trump’s supporters on Capitol Hill who say they support the president but wish he’d cut back on his tweets.

“I think it’s time to stop the tweeting about Department of Justice criminal cases,” Barr told ABC News Chief Justice Correspondent Pierre Thomas.

When asked if he was prepared for the consequences of criticizing the president – his boss – Barr said “of course” because his job is to run the Justice Department and make decisions on “what I think is the right thing to do.”

“I’m not going to be bullied or influenced by anybody ... whether it’s Congress, a newspaper editorial board, or the president,” Barr said. “I’m gonna do what I think is right. And you know … I cannot do my job here at the department with a constant background commentary that undercuts me.”

Well, not going to try and claim to be a prophet (okok, i just actually did  Modest ), but:

I thought about something like this when i read that Barr was willing to appear in front of Congress. There was no reason to change his stance to not appear, unless.....he had one. Not necessarily to spill ALL beans, but this smells an awful lot like something we already experienced: Someone just does not 100% agree with Trump, while still being firmly on his side, voices some concern or even slight criticism...and we all know how Trump will react. I have no doubt that this is the end of Barr. Trump will first smear him, badmouth him, then maye fire him. Barr will realize how delusional he was by thinking this clown can be handked somehow. Then he will either write a book, and/or spill more beans.

Whatever, but one thing is sure: Noone, NOONE is going to tell Donnie about what he can tweet aboiut or not. Its his absolute right to do so!  Winking  Barr will be disciplined, per tweet of course, and he will be called names and ultimately Donnie will insinuate that Barr was a failure all along. We already know this story, dont we? Popcorn

He is merely asking Trump to keep the quiet part quiet. Trump can’t find a worse replacement, so he has job security.
If it doesn't work, it doesn't matter how fast it doesn't work. ~ ???

The trump chronicles
(02-14-2020, 04:02 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:

Doesn't sound like a puppet to me.

Even people used as puppets can get pissed off... I assume Barr encountered a shit storm in his department after trump's congratulatory remarks.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Alan V

The trump chronicles
I suspect Barr is just playing for the cameras to give the impression of independence. Talk is cheap. And this isn't the first time Barr has been dishonest in the service of this administration.
[Image: signature%20The-Ascension-of-Iweko.jpg]
The following 7 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Dom, Old Man Marsh, tomilay, RobbyPants, Thumpalumpacus, Minimalist, Bucky Ball

The trump chronicles
Barr may be genuinely frustrated, or not. But this I do know: the chaos Trump revels in cuts both ways. It confounds people of good faith, but it also fucks up the works for his own toadies. Barr has his own ego and agenda and the subtext I've seen in his work is that he finds Trump to be a useful tool in his pursuit of behind-the-scenes power ... and now he's finding out that usefulness has its limitations.
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • RobbyPants

The trump chronicles
Quote:John Dean, the former White House counsel to President Richard M. Nixon who became the chief witness against him before Congress, thought that “Barr staged it and I’d bet with a heads up to the White House.” Meanwhile, Preet Bharara, the former U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, tweeted that Barr is “shrewd, deliberate, smart, calculating, careful, and full of it.”

Barr’s interview was potentially risky, considering Trump’s anger at criticism from anywhere, let alone from within his own cabinet. But Barr, while complaining about the impact of the tweets on the department’s mission, didn’t take issue with the substance of Trump’s comments, including one suggesting that the judge in Stone’s case was biased.

And Barr’s comments didn’t elicit the expected flurry of backlash from Trump and his allies. Instead, White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham issued a statement saying, “The President wasn’t bothered by the comments at all.” She added that Trump “has full faith and confidence in Attorney General Barr to do his job and uphold the law.”

McConnell and other top Republicans, including McCarthy and Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.), echoed the White House, taking to social media and cable TV shows to support Barr.

(Washington Post)
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Dom, Thumpalumpacus

The trump chronicles
So much for the "Special Relationship."

https://www.businessinsider.com/boris-jo...tic-2020-2

Quote:Boris Johnson has canceled his planned trip to the White House after Trump slammed the phone down on him in a moment of 'apoplectic' fury

Dear BoJo, you can't deal rationally with a maniac.... even if you are also a maniac.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Dom, mordant

The trump chronicles
(02-13-2020, 10:35 PM)Dom Wrote: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/barr-bla...d=68963276

Start the clock.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Deesse23, Fireball

The trump chronicles
(02-14-2020, 02:38 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: So .... today L'il Donny, the Crime Cappo and King from Trumpydom, understanding full well that he is headed to a RICO trial eventually in NY, demanded yet another quid pro quo, ... this one demanded from the NY governor.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/13...ons-114991

From that article:

Quote:“An acquittal would also provide license to President Trump and his successors to use taxpayer dollars for personal political ends ... Presidents could also hold hostage federal funds earmarked for States — such as money for natural disasters, highways, and healthcare — unless and until State officials perform personal political favors,” the House wrote in its impeachment trial brief. “Any Congressional appropriation would be an opportunity for a President to solicit a favor for his personal political purposes — or for others to seek to curry favor with him. Such an outcome would be entirely incompatible with our constitutional system of self-government.”

Hope those Republican Senators can sleep well. They're responsible for allowing this abuse of power.
The following 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dom, Deesse23, Fireball, Alan V, tomilay

The trump chronicles
(02-14-2020, 04:10 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(02-14-2020, 02:38 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: So .... today L'il Donny, the Crime Cappo and King from Trumpydom, understanding full well that he is headed to a RICO trial eventually in NY, demanded yet another quid pro quo, ... this one demanded from the NY governor.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/13...ons-114991

From that article:

Quote:“An acquittal would also provide license to President Trump and his successors to use taxpayer dollars for personal political ends ... Presidents could also hold hostage federal funds earmarked for States — such as money for natural disasters, highways, and healthcare — unless and until State officials perform personal political favors,” the House wrote in its impeachment trial brief. “Any Congressional appropriation would be an opportunity for a President to solicit a favor for his personal political purposes — or for others to seek to curry favor with him. Such an outcome would be entirely incompatible with our constitutional system of self-government.”

Hope those Republican Senators can sleep well. They're responsible for allowing this abuse of power.

It's an ugly fact, but if they were bothered by Trump's behavior, they would not be Republicans.  Trump is a just symptom of a deeper problem that will remain after he is gone.  He has a 43.3% approval that has held steady through his worst excesses and shows no sign of yielding over anything.
If it doesn't work, it doesn't matter how fast it doesn't work. ~ ???
The following 5 users Like tomilay's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, isbelldl, Deesse23, julep, Old Man Marsh

The trump chronicles
(02-14-2020, 06:32 PM)tomilay Wrote: It's an ugly fact, but if they were bothered by Trump's behavior, they would not be Republicans.  Trump is a just symptom of a deeper problem that will remain after he is gone.  He has a 43.3% approval that has held steady through his worst excesses and shows no sign of yielding over anything.

Sure. This is why some have left the party, and far too many stayed. I think the long-term fallout will eventually come clear to them ... by which time it may be too late.

So yeah, Trump is a symptom. But his enablers are the disease.
The following 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dom, tomilay, Deesse23, Old Man Marsh

The trump chronicles
Trump says he has the right to interfere in criminal cases.
He finds it necessary on a daily basis to prove again, he is not fit for the office he holds.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/us...nal-cases/
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Alan V

The trump chronicles
Just vote right, asshole.  It's all you can do.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

The trump chronicles
(02-14-2020, 03:30 PM)Minimalist Wrote: So much for the "Special Relationship."

Quote:Boris Johnson has canceled his planned trip to the White House after Trump slammed the phone down on him in a moment of 'apoplectic' fury

Dear BoJo, you can't deal rationally with a maniac.... even if you are also a maniac.

It's scary times when Boris has more sense and balls than Trump.
The following 2 users Like mordant's post:
  • Chas, Fireball

The trump chronicles
(02-14-2020, 10:51 PM)mordant Wrote:
(02-14-2020, 03:30 PM)Minimalist Wrote: So much for the "Special Relationship."

It's scary times when Boris has more sense and balls than Trump.

Pretty low bar if you ask me.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • mordant

The trump chronicles
Turned on the news this morning and I am listening to a long interview with the president of Ukraine... interesting.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

The trump chronicles
Quote:Randy Credico is the witness from Robert Mueller’s investigation whom Roger Stone, Donald Trump’s longtime adviser, has been convicted of threatening. A few months ago, Credico texted me, “If Stone goes to jail I’m a walking dead man.” On Thursday, after the president’s intervention to get Stone a lighter sentence convulsed the Justice Department, I spoke to Credico, a left-wing comedian and activist, and he elaborated on what he’d meant. “The guy goes to prison and I’m to blame, and you’re being called a rat, you’re worried about somebody with a red hat, a MAGA hat, doing a Jack Ruby on you,” he said.

His fear has national implications, because a central question in the Stone sentencing is whether Credico truly felt endangered when Stone promised to cause him harm. Despite what the administration’s defenders say, the answer is yes.

I’ve known Credico since 2002, although not terribly well. We met when I was reporting on New York’s monstrous Rockefeller drug laws, which put people in prison for 15 years or more for low-level drug offenses. Credico introduced me to people whose lives had been destroyed by those sentences. (The campaign against the Rockefeller laws is also how Credico got to know Stone, a libertarian on drug laws.) Credico told me his father was incarcerated for a decade for cracking safes and came out a badly damaged man, sparking Credico’s lifelong hatred of prison as an institution. He texted me on Wednesday, “I would ask for leniency for Hannibal Lecter.”

It was out of a combination of anxiety and idealism that following Stone’s conviction, Credico wrote to the judge in the case, asking that she show Stone mercy. “I don’t want to see a guy go to prison because of me,” he told me. “It’s going to be on my conscience, plus it’s going to anger a lot of people out there who called me a rat.” Now, because of that letter, Credico finds himself near the center of the unfolding scandal over Donald Trump and Attorney General Bill Barr’s intervention in Stone’s sentencing. His words are being used by Trump allies to argue that the prosecutors in the Stone case went overboard. “Unfortunately, they’re exploiting it for their own agenda,” he said of his letter.

(New York Times)
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Dom, Old Man Marsh

The trump chronicles
Quote:https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/16/politics/...index.html

More than 1,110 former Justice Department officials who served in Republican as well as Democratic administrations posted a statement Sunday calling on Attorney General Bill Barr to resign.

"Mr. Barr's actions in doing the President's personal bidding unfortunately speak louder than his words. Those actions, and the damage they have done to the Department of Justice's reputation for integrity and the rule of law, require Mr. Barr to resign. But because we have little expectation he will do so, it falls to the Department's career officials to take appropriate action to uphold their oaths of office and defend nonpartisan, apolitical justice," the officials wrote in a statement.
The following 2 users Like Alan V's post:
  • Dom, Thumpalumpacus

The trump chronicles
The promise of Barr appearing before Congress is just another "same old, same old". He will drag out the promise. At the last minute, Trump will tell him not to. Then they will argue about it. Then, there will be "take it to court" knowing the matter can't be settled before election day. Its all a game to them while the rest of us live in reality.

This has to end.

Anyone but Trump...
A friend in need is a pain in the ass. If you are lucky, when he comes around you won't be home!
The following 3 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Dom, Thumpalumpacus, Minimalist

The trump chronicles
(5 hours ago)Cavebear Wrote: The promise of Barr appearing before Congress is just another "same old, same old".  He will drag out the promise.  At the last minute, Trump will tell him not to.  Then they will argue about it.  Then, there will be "take it to court" knowing the matter can't be settled before election day.  Its all a game to them while the rest of us live in reality.

This has to end.

Anyone but Trump...

Right. This is just dangling a lure.

Fish or cut bait. The only ones they're fooling are the ones who will be voting Trump anyway no matter what.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dom