Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My big adventure

My big adventure
I figured I'd restart this thread from TTA as a convenient place for all of my updates on our move. I'll post some of the initial pictures and a shortened version of the OP so this thread makes sense.

I've lived in Michigan my whole life (I'm 38). My wife, kids, and I just moved to (very!) rural Ontario. My wife got a job teaching on a First Nations reserve in western Ontario. We're about seven hours northwest of Thunder Bay. It's about a 170 km drive to get groceries.

I quit my web development job I had in Michigan, since it was going to be a big hassle for them to pay me when I was a permanent resident of Canada. Now that we're settled in, I'm going to start looking for some remote software development work.

The drive up here was an adventure in and of itself. It took three days (doing it in two would have been pushing it). We got stuck for a few hours when the only highway between Sault Ste Marie and Thunder Bay was closed down due to an accident. Still, we found a really nice park we killed a few hours, there.

[Image: 2v1nb5k.jpg]

[Image: 2wp741j.jpg]

[Image: 2nibdc0.jpg]

[Image: 5kj7n8.jpg]

[Image: i69mk2.jpg]
The following 10 users Like RobbyPants's post:
  • Unsapien, Full Circle, Vera, Mark, Phaedrus, mlmooney89, Atothetheist, Ima Believer, Jenny, Red Belt

My big adventure
The place we're staying at is pretty decent. It's technically an apartment. There are two other units next to us. We're right next to the lake, which is great! My wife likes to do yoga in the mornings, and when it's not wet, she goes down there to do it.

This is the path just off to the side of our place:
[Image: 5ds4lt.jpg]

And, here is where that path ends:
[Image: 332szro.jpg]

So... taking out the trash turns out to be an adventure.

I have to drive it 2 km down to a local dump. Of course, this fucker thinks it makes a great buffet, so I have to keep an eye out for him every time I get out of the car!

[Image: w0jepw.jpg]

Luckily, there is a dumpster near the house I can use, and the bear doesn't like to wander into the community. If I'm throwing out lots of meat scraps, I still drive it down to the dump, to keep from attracting animals.
The following 8 users Like RobbyPants's post:
  • Unsapien, Vera, Mark, Phaedrus, mlmooney89, Ima Believer, Jenny, Red Belt

My big adventure
Annnnd..., this was September 22:

[Image: 2hz05fa.jpg]

[Image: 2dtubd4.jpg]

It melted by lunch time. On our way into town, we saw our first moose. Luckily, it got off the road in less than a minute.

Today (October 11), it seems we've gotten 8-10" of snow overnight. Er... 20-25 cm.  Angel

[Image: 2r7q8tx.jpg]
The following 8 users Like RobbyPants's post:
  • Unsapien, outtathereligioncloset, julep, Vera, Phaedrus, mlmooney89, Jenny, Red Belt

My big adventure
Two thoughts: Oh hell no!  and Looks like a lot of fun!
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

My big adventure
Thanks for the great pics and story Robby.  Keep 'em coming mate!

Living downunder in this ferking hot climate, I'm so envious of you in those snowy shots.
Strangely, for an Aussie, I HATE the heat, and I just curl up in front of the airconditioner
whenever it hits 100F plus.

I'm not too sure about that big black bear though.  Do they attack humans, or ignore you?
Are they easy to frighten off?  Are they a protected species, no shooting them?  Have you
got a bear-proof fence around your house, or is it just a matter of keeping your eyes peeled?

(So ends the inquisition LOL)
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

My big adventure
There are more black bears in North America, so the total attacks are higher, IIRC. They can be aggressive, but they're unpredictable.

My big adventure
(10-11-2018, 04:52 PM)Gawdzilla Sama link Wrote: There are more black bears in North America, so the total attacks are higher, IIRC. They can be aggressive, but they're unpredictable.

I lived in Alaska for a few years, late 80s and early 90s.  Bear were an almost daily part of the experience.  I never had trouble with them.  Once, I accidentally came within about 4 feet of one when he poked his head up ride beside me.  That was a little bit scary.  But he left me alone.  I calmly continued on my way.  Another time, I caught the occasional scent of one as I was moving through the bush. Yes, you can smell bear.  I kept picking up the scent from time to time over a period of about 2 hours.  I never saw it, and figured that it was stalking me, probably from curiosity and not because I was prey.  It was a bit unnerving.  I had a rifle with me, though.
The following 2 users Like Yonadav's post:
  • Capn Awesome, mlmooney89

My big adventure
Black bears hear, see, and scent better than humans. He knows you're there before you know that he's there. There is one on my property every fall to clean up fallen fruit. We only ever met up once and that time the cub came too close before it noticed me, 2 Great Danes and a tiny dog. We stood all close together and must have looked like a many headed monster. It looked at us and left, down to the pond where I assumed mom was. Other than that the evidence is huge poops and scratched tree trunks. They don't really want any part of us.

I doubt that the one at the dump would attack, unless you were to try to pick something up that he wants. It's his place, you are bringing gifts. He has no issue with that. He maybe would have an issue with your stealing his property.

Since I have two tiny dogs who may look like a nice snack to a bear, I have a bear proof fence.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Vera, mlmooney89

My big adventure
(10-11-2018, 04:21 PM)SYZ link Wrote: I'm not too sure about that big black bear though.  Do they attack humans, or ignore you?
Are they easy to frighten off?  Are they a protected species, no shooting them?  Have you
got a bear-proof fence around your house, or is it just a matter of keeping your eyes peeled?

From what I've read, bears are not typically aggressive. If food is scarce, you can have a predatory encounter, in which case it's life or death; however, those are rare. For the most part, bears are inquisitive, and they investigate things. Also, they tend to avoid humans. Apparently, their eyesight isn't that great, so if you see a bear 100m out, and it sees you, you're supposed to wave your arms over your head and talk calmly to it. The goal is to have the bear ID you, and just leave you alone on its own.

Problems are going to be if you startle the bear, if you're near a mother's cub, or if it otherwise perceives you as a threat. Also, bears that have learned humans provide food (typically from poorly handled trash) are an issue because they'll be more comfortable coming around humans, which increases the chance of a negative encounter.

They don't always attack when encountered in bad circumstances. They will sometimes bluff charge you, which is a when they start a charge and stop short, hoping to scare you off. I've also heard you will not outrun a bear at any time in any type of terrain, so don't try. Black bears are also good climbers.

As for how we deal with them: the bear nearby seldom comes near the reservation. The dump is 2 km away, and he seems to be fine hanging around that buffet. I don't have to go there often, but when I do, I keep my eyes peeled.

I have heard that wolves can come into town in the winter, so that will be a fun thing for me to keep watch for.  Dodgy
The following 4 users Like RobbyPants's post:
  • Emma, Vera, mlmooney89, Gwaithmir

My big adventure
  • Kim, Emma

My big adventure
(10-11-2018, 05:35 PM)Dom link Wrote:

[Image: 24wzdzl.jpg]

I'm going to have to try this.

My big adventure
I heard the RCSPCA won't let Canadians threaten to give the bears Molsons any more. Too cruel.

My big adventure
This was a sunrise from last weekend, as seen from my living room window.

[Image: dlm0yc.jpg]

My big adventure
(10-18-2018, 02:27 PM)RobbyPants Wrote: This was a sunrise from last weekend, as seen from my living room window.

Omg- that is beautiful!!!  Heart
The following 1 user Likes Emma's post:
  • RobbyPants

My big adventure
(10-18-2018, 02:27 PM)RobbyPants Wrote: This was a sunrise from last weekend, as seen from my living room window.

[Image: dlm0yc.jpg]
That's so beautiful it made me gasp.
How are the girls adjusting?
Have you shot anything edible yet?
Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
The following 2 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post:
  • RobbyPants, Kim

My big adventure
Jack is enjoying a sunrise.

[Image: 5d5krd.jpg]
The following 7 users Like RobbyPants's post:
  • Dom, Emma, Smercury44, mlmooney89, Jenny, Red Belt, Phaedrus

My big adventure
(10-18-2018, 10:36 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote: That's so beautiful it made me gasp.

Thanks!

They're adjusting reasonably well. They're glad for the snow, because they're sick of our all-day shopping excursions on Saturdays. They're having a sleep-over tonight. A bunch of the girls from the community are invited. It's at the Mennonite mission, so sadly, there will probably be some religious themed activities, but oh well. It's not like they're going to church up here, anyway. We've been here two months, and my wife went for the first time on Sunday. Apparently, there were only four members from the community there.

I have not shot anything. I don't own any guns. There was a bit moose hunt event with prizes, that ended this last weekend. I did get about a pound of moose meat a month or so ago. We froze it, and I finally made stew with it this week. It turned out really good!
The following 6 users Like RobbyPants's post:
  • Alan V, Gawdzilla Sama, Emma, Vera, jerry mcmasters, mlmooney89

My big adventure
(10-19-2018, 02:05 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:
(10-18-2018, 10:36 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote: That's so beautiful it made me gasp.

Thanks!

They're adjusting reasonably well. They're glad for the snow, because they're sick of our all-day shopping excursions on Saturdays. They're having a sleep-over tonight. A bunch of the girls from the community are invited. It's at the Mennonite mission, so sadly, there will probably be some religious themed activities, but oh well. It's not like they're going to church up here, anyway. We've been here two months, and my wife went for the first time on Sunday. Apparently, there were only four members from the community there.

I have not shot anything. I don't own any guns. There was a bit moose hunt event with prizes, that ended this last weekend. I did get about a pound of moose meat a month or so ago. We froze it, and I finally made stew with it this week. It turned out really good!

I am a little perplexed that you made stew with what I assume was your first moose meat.  If you ever get your hands on some moose backstrap, promise me that you will grill it up proper!  Once you have had that heavenly carnivorous experience, you might get yourself a gun and go looking for more.   Drool

My big adventure
I was told the meat was stew meat.
The following 2 users Like RobbyPants's post:
  • Emma, Kim

My big adventure
(10-19-2018, 01:54 PM)RobbyPants Wrote: Jack is enjoying a sunrise.

[Image: 5d5krd.jpg]

Awwww, not to hijack this thread, but- Hi Jack!!! Big Grin
The following 6 users Like Emma's post:
  • Vera, RobbyPants, Smercury44, Chas, Kim, mlmooney89

My big adventure
(10-19-2018, 06:57 PM)Emma Wrote: Awwww, not to hijack this thread, but- Hi Jack!!! Big Grin

[Image: cJfIUMfm4DfrP8WuaQcjmCIzeHQNCBeS3hB_Td6k...20-h240-nc]
Tongue
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 

My big adventure
I went to take the trash out last night and I saw the full moon over the lake.

[Image: 2uyp3qq.jpg]
The following 5 users Like RobbyPants's post:
  • Kim, mlmooney89, Jenny, Red Belt, Phaedrus

My big adventure
(10-25-2018, 12:53 PM)RobbyPants Wrote: I went to take the trash out last night and I saw the full moon over the lake.

[Image: 2uyp3qq.jpg]

That is super cool!!!  Nod

My big adventure
(10-19-2018, 08:50 PM)Vera Wrote:
(10-19-2018, 06:57 PM)Emma Wrote: Awwww, not to hijack this thread, but- Hi Jack!!! Big Grin

[Image: cJfIUMfm4DfrP8WuaQcjmCIzeHQNCBeS3hB_Td6k...20-h240-nc]
Tongue

Aww, the image is broken.  Sad I can't see it.

My big adventure
Maybe reload the page, I can see it fine.

It's neat that you get to experience nature, nothing is as grounding as that.
  • Kim, Emma

[-]
Quick Reply