Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basic Websites Created

Basic Websites Created
(10-22-2018, 12:31 AM)Dom Wrote: Ok, the more links we can create is NOT better. The more quality links we can create, the better. Spamming links can get you into google prison faster than your head turns. 

Please be careful, don't link to here multiple times from these sites. You have me seriously worried now.

Give me some credit, I know exactly what I am doing and I (at the risk of blowing my own horn) am a professional and have been for 20 years. I know Google inside and out. I know how it works, and I know what to avoid.

If the proof isn't in the pudding by now, I don't know what it will take to put your mind at ease. I know what the boundaries are, and I am not even close.

What I am doing is exactly how it's supposed to be done. In fact, what I am doing is precisely what Google themselves says to do.

Note the first thing Google says:

Quote:My site isn't on Google!
Quote:Although Google crawls billions of pages, it's inevitable that some sites will be missed. When our spiders miss a site, it's frequently for one of the following reasons:
  • The site isn't well connected from other sites on the web.

• You've just launched a new site and Google hasn't had time to crawl it yet.

• The design of the site makes it difficult for Google to crawl its content effectively.

• Google received an error when trying to crawl your site. 

https://support.google.com/webmasters/an...4397?hl=en

Therefore, I am doing exactly what Google says to do; I am linking into this website from websites elsewhere on the web, the two I created. And my professional experience tells me that as far as ordinary non social media sites are concerned, the Google site and the Wix site are 1 & 2 of the best portals to build a website on.

So there really isn't a problem and of course there is no abuse as you seem to allege.

Professionally, my business website is currently found now in 7 of 10 places on the first page of Google, including positions 1, 2, and 3.  (I can have Pablo verify that for you, because he knows who I am, and what I do.)

Sorry Dom, but what I am doing is exactly how it should be done. And ... I am just getting started.

It's one thing to get to the top, but another thing to stay there.

I know how to do both. 

Trust me.
Welcome to the Atheist Forums on AtheistDiscussion.org
The following 2 users Like Free's post:
  • SYZ, jerry mcmasters

Basic Websites Created
(10-20-2018, 03:07 PM)Free Wrote: And we haven't even started on social media yet. That will come later.

How useful would a Facebook page be? If it's useful, let's do it.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Free, jerry mcmasters

Basic Websites Created
(10-22-2018, 01:28 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(10-20-2018, 03:07 PM)Free Wrote: And we haven't even started on social media yet. That will come later.

That's what comes next, and it is what I was alluding to in my last post when I said, "It's one thing to get to the top, but another thing to stay there."

Social media sites are precisely how we "stay there."
The following 1 user Likes Free's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Basic Websites Created
(10-22-2018, 01:31 AM)Free Wrote:
(10-22-2018, 01:28 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

That's what comes next, and it is what I was alluding to in my last post when I said, "It's one thing to get to the top, but another thing to stay there."

So if I create a Facebook page, what content goes on there?

Twitter is easier. I can just tweet interesting debates as they happen. Although would you recommend something else such as retweeting interesting posts or memes that turn up? Or both?

The fellow admin on my previous forum managed to get quite a few followers with the dedicated twitter account she set up.

Basic Websites Created
(10-22-2018, 06:27 AM)Mathilda Wrote:
(10-22-2018, 01:31 AM)Free Wrote:
(10-22-2018, 01:28 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: How useful would a Facebook page be? If it's useful, let's do it.

So if I create a Facebook page, what content goes on there?

Twitter is easier. I can just tweet interesting debates as they happen. Although would you recommend something else such as retweeting interesting posts or memes that turn up? Or both?

The fellow admin on my previous forum managed to get quite a few followers with the dedicated twitter account she set up.

Facebook is better and easier as your main social media site. You can set it up nicer than twitter. 

Twitter is what you use to tweet about this site and Facebook ... and your YouTube channel.

In other words, use them all.
  • Gawdzilla Sama

Basic Websites Created
Update:

We are still holding the high positions on Page 1 of Google search in several categories of the key words.

The Wix site is currently occupying 2 positions on Pages 3 & 4 with the key words of "Atheist Forums" in quotes, and Atheist Forums without quotes, and because of that we should start seeing new user registrations slowly coming in. The Wix site climbs daily, but what we want is for this site to be on page 1 with those key words, but the Wix site cannot correlate with this site on those key words because this site doesn't have those key words as meta tags, and doesn't yet have the meta tags for the key words in the code.

So here's how to do that:

Meta tags are snippets of text that describe a page's content; the meta tags don't appear on the page itself, but only in the page's code. We all know tags from blog culture, and meta tags are more or less the same thing, little content descriptors that help tell search engines what a web page is about.

Below is an example of the meta tags/keywords that should be placed into the web page that currently redirects people to the forum; the web page with the 10 second timer and advisory message.

<meta name="keywords" content="Atheist Forum, Atheist Forums, Atheist Discussion, Atheist Discussion Forums">
 <meta name="description" content="An Atheist Discussion Forum">

Place these meta tags directly below the following in the code  that is currently in that page:

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="10;url=http://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/index.php">

If you have a problem, I can do it for you.

After you do that, the next thing you should do is index this website to Google.  However, I have seen the Google bot already crawling this forum so it may not be necessary.

Note: If you do this, then this website will be #1 in a week. True story.
Back later ...

Basic Websites Created
(10-22-2018, 12:36 AM)Free Wrote:
(10-22-2018, 12:31 AM)Dom Wrote: Ok, the more links we can create is NOT better. The more quality links we can create, the better. Spamming links can get you into google prison faster than your head turns. 

Please be careful, don't link to here multiple times from these sites. You have me seriously worried now.

Give me some credit, I know exactly what I am doing and I (at the risk of blowing my own horn) am a professional and have been for 20 years. I know Google inside and out. I know how it works, and I know what to avoid.

If the proof isn't in the pudding by now, I don't know what it will take to put your mind at ease. I know what the boundaries are, and I am not even close.

What I am doing is exactly how it's supposed to be done. In fact, what I am doing is precisely what Google themselves says to do.

Quote:Although Google crawls billions of pages, it's inevitable that some sites will be missed. When our spiders miss a site, it's frequently for one of the following reasons:

• The design of the site makes it difficult for Google to crawl its content effectively.

Therefore, I am doing exactly what Google says to do; I am linking into this website from websites elsewhere on the web, the two I created. And my professional experience tells me that as far as ordinary non social media sites are concerned, the Google site and the Wix site are 1 & 2 of the best portals to build a website on.

So there really isn't a problem and of course there is no abuse as you seem to allege.

Professionally, my business website is currently found now in 7 of 10 places on the first page of Google, including positions 1, 2, and 3.  (I can have Pablo verify that for you, because he knows who I am, and what I do.)

Sorry Dom, but what I am doing is exactly how it should be done. And ... I am just getting started.

I know how to do both. 

Trust me.

Well, two experts rarely agree. I retired early on doing this right. I am more conservative than you about it. I used to eat google for breakfast, lunch and dinner. One thing I learned is that their algo flags sites that raise too fast. That's ok here, because the growing content and traffic warrants it. Google is highly suspicious of links and pimps their algo concerning links constantly, so you really don't know from one day to the next what they will do. The more often you succeed with the same trick, the more likely they are to defend against it. That is why I have learned to be more conservative.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

Basic Websites Created
(10-24-2018, 09:06 PM)Dom Wrote:
(10-22-2018, 12:36 AM)Free Wrote:

I know how to do both. 

Trust me.

Well, two experts rarely agree. I retired early on doing this right. I am more conservative than you about it. I used to eat google for breakfast, lunch and dinner. One thing I learned is that their algo flags sites that raise too fast. That's ok here, because the growing content and traffic warrants it. Google is highly suspicious of links and pimps their algo concerning links constantly, so you really don't know from one day to the next what they will do. The more often you succeed with the same trick, the more likely they are to defend against it. That is why I have learned to be more conservative.

I understand, and they used to be anal about it up until about 6 or 7 years ago. But the thing is the web has become so massive that they backed off from it. The main thing they were looking for and banning websites for was the hijacking of DNS servers, or the creation of rogue DNS servers.. A few bad apples figured out how to hijack the DNS servers so that when people clicked a link to say ... atheistdiscussion.org they would be taken to atheistforums.com instead. It was this type of activity that made Google watch how fast websites rose in the rankings, and those who rose too fast were held in suspicion, investigated, and if discovered violating Google's terms, deleted from the index.

But what I am doing is actually following Google's guidelines. There is no wrongdoing here whatsoever. Sure, we are rising fast, but that's only because we know exactly what to do, and how to do it legitimately and with integrity.

The trick to staying in the good graces of Google is to maintain the websites, changing things often, and updating the content and links.

Basic Websites Created
(10-20-2018, 03:07 PM)Free Wrote: We have now entered Page 1 in 8th position with the key words of Atheist Discussion Forum without quotes, which is actually fantastic.

Oh wow! And already!
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.

Basic Websites Created
(10-24-2018, 08:29 PM)Free Wrote: Update:

We are still holding the high positions on Page 1 of Google search in several categories of the key words.

The Wix site is currently occupying 2 positions on Pages 3 & 4 with the key words of "Atheist Forums" in quotes, and Atheist Forums without quotes, and because of that we should start seeing new user registrations slowly coming in. The Wix site climbs daily, but what we want is for this site to be on page 1 with those key words, but the Wix site cannot correlate with this site on those key words because this site doesn't have those key words as meta tags, and doesn't yet have the meta tags for the key words in the code.

Meta tags are snippets of text that describe a page's content; the meta tags don't appear on the page itself, but only in the page's code. We all know tags from blog culture, and meta tags are more or less the same thing, little content descriptors that help tell search engines what a web page is about.

Below is an example of the meta tags/keywords that should be placed into the web page that currently redirects people to the forum; the web page with the 10 second timer and advisory message.

<meta name="keywords" content="Atheist Forum, Atheist Forums, Atheist Discussion, Atheist Discussion Forums">

Place these meta tags directly below the following in the code  that is currently in that page:

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="10;url=http://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/index.php">

After you do that, the next thing you should do is index this website to Google.  However, I have seen the Google bot already crawling this forum so it may not be necessary.

Back later ...

I wonder if we could add ‘Formerly TTA Forum’ to those tags to help with searches for anyone who doesn’t know we’ve moved? Or is that a bit to close to taking searches away from Seth? I’m still just worried about those folks who didn’t know the ship was goin down and maybe don’t have personal contact with other forum members.
[Image: 320-C6-ED7-97-CD-4-AB2-A60-A-759-A45-FB7-FE8.jpg]
"The Thinking Atheist forum" “The Thinking Atheist forum closed down" “TTA Forum”

Basic Websites Created
(10-25-2018, 09:59 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:
(10-24-2018, 08:29 PM)Free Wrote: Update:

Back later ...

I wonder if we could add ‘Formerly TTA Forum’ to those tags to help with searches for anyone who doesn’t know we’ve moved? Or is that a bit to close to taking searches away from Seth? I’m still just worried about those folks who didn’t know the ship was goin down and maybe don’t have personal contact with other forum members.

I thought about that when Aliza suggested something similar in an earlier post on this thread. The problem with that is that it may be interpreted, and with good reason, as being a violation of Google's terms of service for webmasters.

It may violate two distinct areas: 

Doorway Websites:

Doorway pages (bridge pagesportal pagesjump pagesgateway pages or entry pages) are web pages that are created for the deliberate manipulation of search engine indexes (spamdexing). A doorway page will affect the index of a search engine by inserting results for particular phrases while sending visitors to a different page. Doorway pages that redirect visitors without their knowledge use some form of cloaking. This usually falls under Black Hat SEO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doorway_page

TTA is not us, therefore if we use their name in the meta tag that Google searched for to encourage people to come here it can be easily interpreted by the algorithm as a doorway website. 

Brandjacking:

Brandjacking is an activity whereby someone acquires or otherwise assumes the online identity of another entity for the purposes of acquiring that person's or business's brand equity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandjacking

There are other possible violations. I think it's best we don't go that route. I'm sure Dom would agree.

There are other ways old friends can find us. Try this: Copy and paste your username as I typed it below, and put it into Google search:

"Smercury44"

Congrats! You're on the first page of Google!

Approve
  • Smercury44

Basic Websites Created
(10-24-2018, 08:29 PM)Free Wrote: <meta name="keywords" content="Atheist Forum, Atheist Forums, Atheist Discussion, Atheist Discussion Forums">

Added.

Should we be putting in more keywords though, like religion, questioning, Leaving religion, Christianity, Islam etc ?
The following 2 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • Dom, Free

Basic Websites Created
(10-26-2018, 02:07 PM)Mathilda Wrote:
(10-24-2018, 08:29 PM)Free Wrote: <meta name="keywords" content="Atheist Forum, Atheist Forums, Atheist Discussion, Atheist Discussion Forums">

Added.

Should we be putting in more keywords though, like religion, questioning, Leaving religion, Christianity, Islam etc ?

Awesome!

It certainly won't hurt to add things concerning religion such as:

Christianity, Islam, Judaism

In that order.

You don't want to make the keyword tag list too long though.

Basic Websites Created
Aliza & Smerc:

It does not violate Google's terms of service for our users to "frequently" mention www.thethinkingatheist.com/forums or "The Thinking Atheist forum", or "The Thinking Atheist forum closed down" etc in as many posts as you would care to make. After all, we have the Google bot spidering this forum so ...

Wink
The following 3 users Like Free's post:
  • Dom, Smercury44, Aliza

Basic Websites Created
(10-26-2018, 02:43 PM)Free Wrote: Aliza & Smerc:

It does not violate Google's terms of service for our users to "frequently" mention www.thethinkingatheist.com/forums or "The Thinking Atheist forum", or "The Thinking Atheist forum closed down" etc in as many posts as you would care to make. After all, we have the Google bot spidering this forum so ...

Wink

Would adding those things to my signature count as including them in my posts? Consider that could certainly be an easy way to plaster those words on the forum Big Grin
"The Thinking Atheist forum" “The Thinking Atheist forum closed down" “TTA Forum”
The following 1 user Likes Smercury44's post:
  • Free

Basic Websites Created
(10-26-2018, 11:00 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:
(10-26-2018, 02:43 PM)Free Wrote: Aliza & Smerc:

Wink

Would adding those things to my signature count as including them in my posts? Consider that could certainly be an easy way to plaster those words on the forum Big Grin

Now you're thinking!

Good idea!

Basic Websites Created
Note:

The sooner we can get an actual web page up to replace the web page with the 10 second timer and advisory, the better. Since the current page represents the main page of this website, I think we should have something more substantive there to attract not only new users, but queries from the Google spider and other search engines.

If you do this, don't forget to transfer those meta tag keywords into the new page.

Basic Websites Created
Consider the Russians have found us lol

[Image: 8-DC2911-F-94-A3-4-B91-9-D25-0-CB20-A47-AA58.jpg]

Quote:Yandex N.V. is a Russian multinational corporation specializing in Internet-related products and services, including search and information services, eCommerce, transportation, navigation, mobile applications, and online advertising. Yandex provides over 70 services in total.
The following 1 user Likes Smercury44's post:
  • Mathilda

Basic Websites Created
(10-28-2018, 12:33 AM)Smercury44 Wrote: Consider the Russians have found us lol

Quote:Yandex N.V. is a Russian multinational corporation specializing in Internet-related products and services, including search and information services, eCommerce, transportation, navigation, mobile applications, and online advertising. Yandex provides over 70 services in total.

They have been around for longer than google, they found us first.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Smercury44

Basic Websites Created
(10-28-2018, 12:53 AM)Dom Wrote:
(10-28-2018, 12:33 AM)Smercury44 Wrote: Consider the Russians have found us lol

They have been around for longer than google, they found us first.

Hopefully Google does find the portal page. We may have to submit atheistdiscussion.org to Google for indexing after all. The Google bot for the forum likely does not spider the portal page where the key words are. In fact, I can't get the portal page to show up on Google at all, at least not yet.

Hopefully it doesn't have anything to do with it being a transition page which takes people to the forum after 10 seconds. It might be detected as a doorway page by the algorithm. 

Maybe we should whip something up to replace that page ....

Although we really are actually doing pretty good on Google right now. We are on the first page if anyone types in the three words of atheist discussion forum and if anyone types in the two words of atheist discussion we are also on page 1 with the Google site and page 2 with this site. For the two words of atheist forums the Wix site shows up on page 3 and/or 4, and it climbs daily. Eventually it will also be on the 1st page.

Meh ...

Basic Websites Created
What would I add to my sig that would help?
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Basic Websites Created
Update:

We are still going strong on Google with the keywords of Atheist Discussion, Atheist Discussion Forums without quotes consistently appearing on pages 1 & 2 with both this site and the Google site. The Wix site, which has links to this site, consistently appears on pages 3, 4 and 5 with the key words of Atheist Forums and "Atheist Forums" in quotes.

Concerned that this site was not appearing on Google at all with the key words of Atheist Forums or Atheist Forum, 3 days ago I modified the links to this forum on both the Wix site and the Google site to point directly to the main site that has the 10 second timer and advisory note so that the Google spider would follow those links to the main site here. Finally, we are showing up on the 8th page of Google with the primary key words of "Atheists Forums" in quotes.

I again strongly recommend submitting atheistdiscussion.org to Google for indexing.

Back later ...

Basic Websites Created
I'm getting "atheist discussion" as #4 on page 2 of Google.

Without the  "..."  it comes up as #2 on page 9 of Google.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Basic Websites Created
(11-01-2018, 12:33 PM)SYZ Wrote: I'm getting "atheist discussion" as #4 on page 2 of Google.

Confirmed. 

I was afraid this would happen. We absolutely need a proper web page on the main site and have it submitted to Google.

In the meantime I will modify the links on the Google and Wix sites to point back to the forum instead of the main site. We will be back on page 1 in 2 days.
  • SYZ

Basic Websites Created
(11-01-2018, 01:00 PM)Free Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 12:33 PM)SYZ Wrote: I'm getting "atheist discussion" as #4 on page 2 of Google.

Confirmed. 

I was afraid this would happen. We absolutely need a proper web page on the main site and have it submitted to Google.

In the meantime I will modify the links on the Google and Wix sites to point back to the forum instead of the main site. We will be back on page 1 in 2 days.

Give Mathilda a breather - she just got back.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Mathilda