Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gamers!

Gamers!
(05-11-2020, 01:22 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: I think everyone got into Animal Crossing only because of the recent quarantine where everyone was at home with nothing to do.

I'm not buying a Switch just to play one game.

Animal crossing is great, but not worth it alone. 

I will say that pretty much every game I've played on the switch so far (Mario odyessy, Luigis mansion 3, Super smash bros, Breath of the wild, Links awakening reboot, Animal crossing, Mario Kart - and the rest) have all been bloody amazing AND each one is seemingly put together for either a quick 10 minute blast or a solid several hour sink in.

Switching from TV to handheld is also a great feature, as now my wife can watch random drama programs while I play on the switch.

I'll be the first to say i was against it when it was announced, but after playing it - it's been 100% worth the money, for me at least.

Gamers!
More gaming with the guys last night!

This time it was read dead redemption 2 online! Overall it was a laugh - we completed some mini missions and then went down a random rabbit hole of highjacking a train. it wasn't a mission or anything, but other players also seemed to have the same idea, so it become an hour long battle between posses over control of the train, for no apparent reason what so ever Smile

After a while the other posse dropped off, but one player in particular just kept on going and was crazy good as well - constantly getting back on the train while it was moving, and pretty much picking us all off one by one - some times via headshot from seemingly miles away. Crazy stuff - it was like a western terminiator or something.

overall super fun game for online play, the main part of the game is essentially GTA but in the wildwest - so if that's your thing give it a go Smile

Edit to add: this happened during our game last night also [watch until the end for Boomerang Horse]

https://i.imgur.com/2MJfEw8.mp4

Gamers!
Finished Sonic Generations last night - a really solid game which essentially "Best of sonic" as the levels are either directly ripped from other games or at least paying homage to some of the more classic levels. plus some of the classic megadrive/genesis music has been remastered and its great Smile

Gamers!
Elite: Dangerous Horizons

Onmy first deep space exploration mission in my fully equipped Diamondback Explorer.
Target: Some NGC Nebula ca. 6kly away from Sol

Orbiting soem newly discovered mooon
Me in my rover mining for rare ores. Some vents nearby.

Also got some MPEGs. Lets see if i can upload them somehwere. Any suggestions for a good free hosting site?

[Image: Elite-Dangerous-CLIENT-21-06-2020-19-37-00.png]
[Image: Elite-Dangerous-CLIENT-21-06-2020-20-01-45.png]
R.I.P. Hannes

Gamers!
not sure if anybody was aware but the first Injustice game was/is free on xbox currently [not sure about ps4].

Injustice is a fighting game developed by the same people who do Mortal Kombat - it revolves around DC superheros in an alternate timeline where Superman has lost Lois Lane thanks to the Joker, so decides that he is stopping all crime permanently - whether people like it or not. If you're not on his side......well you'll know about it.

The story revolves around this "else world" and the main line heroes getting pulled over to this other dimension to help out.

Story wise it's awesome. There is also a comic book that is based upon this alternate time line which is FANTASTIC. Gameplay wise, I do like these types of games but do find it slightly repetitive after a while. However the story line was awesome and it flows perfectly. Definitely up for grabbing the second one where possible.

Gamers!
Me, exploring some worlds several thousands of LY from SOL towards the galactic center.

[Image: Elite-Dangerous-CLIENT-01-07-2020-20-29-29.png]
[Image: Elite-Dangerous-CLIENT-01-07-2020-20-30-49.png]
[Image: Elite-Dangerous-CLIENT-25-06-2020-22-07-31.png]
[Image: Elite-Dangerous-CLIENT-25-06-2020-22-08-37.png]
[Image: Elite-Dangerous-CLIENT-25-06-2020-22-09-17.png]
[Image: Elite-Dangerous-CLIENT-26-06-2020-18-56-01.png]
[Image: Elite-Dangerous-CLIENT-29-06-2020-13-58-48.png]
[Image: Elite-Dangerous-CLIENT-29-06-2020-14-55-56.png]
[Image: Elite-Dangerous-CLIENT-29-06-2020-15-29-55.png]
R.I.P. Hannes

Gamers!
Playing through DOOM [2016] at the moment, and LOVING it.

It's been one of those that in the first level or so, not a lot happens so I was thinking "if this is it, it's alright but not great". But as I've gone through shit has really this the fan, I'm now tooled up with weapons galore and am fighting some of the craziest looking things I've ever seen in ways I couldn't possible imagine. [Chainsaws....they kick serious ass, and make a lot of mess!]. It's bonkers and I love it.

Also picked up Injustice 2 [The full edition] on sale as well, having enjoyed the first one so much, so I cannot wait to give that a real go at some point.
The following 1 user Likes OakTree500's post:
  • jerry mcmasters

Gamers!
(07-22-2020, 08:26 AM)OakTree500 Wrote: Playing through DOOM [2016] at the moment, and LOVING it.

It's been one of those that in the first level or so, not a lot happens so I was thinking "if this is it, it's alright but not great". But as I've gone through shit has really this the fan, I'm now tooled up with weapons galore and am fighting some of the craziest looking things I've ever seen in ways I couldn't possible imagine. [Chainsaws....they kick serious ass, and make a lot of mess!]. It's bonkers and I love it.

Also picked up Injustice 2 [The full edition] on sale as well, having enjoyed the first one so much, so I cannot wait to give that a real go at some point.

I remember that about DOOM also, I think they try too hard to give it a story and build up foreboding atmosphere so yeah not much happens but walking around for awhile.  Finding codes and lock combinations and such.
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • OakTree500

Gamers!
Purchased Destroy All Humans! on Steam yesterday. Worth every penny. I just now discovered it has everything I want in a video game.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Dānu

Gamers!
(07-29-2020, 09:49 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Purchased Destroy All Humans! on Steam yesterday. Worth every penny. I just now discovered it has everything I want in a video game.

Facepalm ROFL2
R.I.P. Hannes

Gamers!
(07-30-2020, 06:14 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:
(07-29-2020, 09:49 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Purchased Destroy All Humans! on Steam yesterday. Worth every penny. I just now discovered it has everything I want in a video game.

Facepalm  ROFL2

What? It even has destructible buildings. That's one thing few games have, and I'm always looking for a third or first person game that has that. Not to mention it has rather anti-American satirical dialogue. Just let me have fun.  Dodgy
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

Gamers!
*backs off.....slowly*
R.I.P. Hannes

Gamers!
Finished the story of Injustice 2 - which was AWESOME. Still a ton of stuff to unlock and all that, so will keep going on there.

Started on Wolfenstein [the first of the newer ones] and by god that's fucked right up. if I have it right, its an alternate time line where Nazi's win the war due to weird advanced tech - you play a guy in the 1960's who survived the war and just go to town on this new world of nazi's and it's really really grim. Batshit insane as well. Fantastic game haha. it's up there with DOOM in terms of enjoyment for me so far.

Gamers!
Board games for the PC, please.
Single player required.

Suggestions?
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Cavebear

Gamers!
[Image: Screenshot-2020-08-03-Game-Face-Mask-Of-Wellness.png]
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 2 users Like Deesse23's post:
  • Dānu, OakTree500

Gamers!
I finally got Borderlands 3, which I've been loving. I haven't really gotten into Doom Eternal like I thought I would.

My girls finally got me playing Minecraft with them. We're all going to jump on to the world they created for me when my 11-year-old wakes up.

Gamers!
(07-31-2020, 11:03 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Board games for the PC, please.
Single player required.

Suggestions?

Chess, Risk, Backgammon? Name your poison...
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

Gamers!
Picked up the Duke Nuke'em 3D 20th anniversary game this week, on sale for £1.69!!

I mean, it hasn't aged well graphics wise, but still holds up in terms of bog standard game play. Its still difficult in places, and you have to use your noggin to work out some of the puzzles etc. Plus it's great to hear the "LETS ROCK" voice again after so long.
  • Dānu

Gamers!
Started on "Okami HD" over the weekend. A friend got it for me, for my birthday, but I haven't had the time to really check it out properly as of yet.

It's a cool little game where you play a mythical wolf trying to battle the forces of darkness. It's a huge play on Japanese mythology/folklore and is done in a 2d/cell-shaded hybrid style, while also mixing in historical Japanese artwork - you also use a calligraphy brush to use certain items/create things - so it's pretty cool all in all. it has some puzzle elements to it as well Smile

My friend who got it for me sold it to me as "it's a bit like some of the older Zelda games....but you're a wolf" - and it's not far off of that mark haha.

Well worth a go if you can pick it up Smile
  • Dānu

Gamers!
Picked up Mario 3d All stars for the switch today:

contains Mario 64, Mario Sunshine and Mario Galaxy.

OH YIS!
  • Dānu

Gamers!
Spent 3 days playing Civ 2. Getting up a level every couple tries. It gets hard.

Gamers!
(09-18-2020, 04:05 PM)Cavebear Wrote: Spent 3 days playing Civ 2.  Getting up a level every couple tries.  It gets hard.

Yea, replying to my own post but major success going on Civ2. The Germans are oof on their own continent and I'm not much for attacking overseas. That leaves me struggling with the English, Spanish and Sioux locally. But I've gotten ahead (Prince Level with roving barbarians) on the important Wonders and the demographics with the Germans is about even.

The major thing is that it is only 1851 and I am about to build The Apollo Program and I seldom get at THAT so early. I have about 100 turns to build my space ship, am in full Democracy mode, and have my local Civs mostly controlled. All, I have to do is keep the German navy off my back.

Gamers!
Been playing Anima ARPG. Classic Hack n Slash like D1 and D2. It's a really well done game.

Gamers!
(09-18-2020, 09:15 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(09-18-2020, 04:05 PM)Cavebear Wrote: Spent 3 days playing Civ 2.  Getting up a level every couple tries.  It gets hard.

Yea, replying to my own post but major success going on Civ2.  The Germans are oof on their own continent and I'm not much for attacking overseas.  That leaves me struggling with the English, Spanish and Sioux locally.  But I've gotten ahead (Prince Level with roving barbarians) on the important Wonders and the demographics with the Germans is about even.

The major thing is that it is only 1851 and I am about to build The Apollo Program and I seldom get at THAT so early.  I have about 100 turns to build my space ship, am in full Democracy mode, and have my local Civs mostly controlled.  All, I have to do is keep the German navy off my back.

Update. I won in 1994. The Germans (rational aggressive) had a continent to themselves by luck of the game. I was stuck on a smaller continent with the English, Sioux, and Spanish. It took constant work to keep them at peace with me (and there was lots of war regardless). But I concentrated on getting the best Wonders and failed a few to the Germans who had no local competition. But I got enough to protect me from the English and Spanish (the Sioux are just odd in this game as are several other nations and you always have 1 in the game). The rules don't seem to apply to them.

I had barbarian tribes that were more difficult than usual. So building my Civ required more military for protection than I am used to. Because of my local opponents, I went for the Wonders than caused peace (or at least respect). I didn't understand where the German forces were coming from until I built the Apollo Program that showed me the whole map. At least then I saw that the Germans were using Transport Ships to deliver units across a narrow water.

By then, they had too many units to attack directly (I was a Democracy and units outside cities is costly). I got to keep focussing on 2 cities I filled with defensive units. Around 1890 I was able to start building power plants etc that increased my shield output and libraries and such that improved my tech discovery rate.

But the Germans kept attacking and the local civs declared war on me, so I had to build barracks and rebuild city walls etc. I finally got ahead of the game around 1950 and got the 1st Space Ship techs. I had to keep fighting off my sometimes unpeaceful neighbors AND the Germans, but I finally got enough Spies and Tanks to focus of Production again. Started my Space Ship around 1069 and launched it (slowest one, 16 years but I saw that the Germans were doing worse (had United Nations so I could check on them).

Launch in 1979. Landed in on Alpha Centuri in 1994 . Game over.

Whew!

Next level up is King with Raging Barbarians. I'll have to play more carefully and get more cities built and protected. Or take over more Civ cities. That's not my nature, but it may be required.

Damn I love this game!

Gamers!
(05-19-2020, 11:47 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:
(05-11-2020, 01:22 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: I think everyone got into Animal Crossing only because of the recent quarantine where everyone was at home with nothing to do.

I'm not buying a Switch just to play one game.

Animal crossing is great, but not worth it alone. 

I will say that pretty much every game I've played on the switch so far (Mario odyessy, Luigis mansion 3, Super smash bros, Breath of the wild, Links awakening reboot, Animal crossing, Mario Kart - and the rest) have all been bloody amazing AND each one is seemingly put together for either a quick 10 minute blast or a solid several hour sink in.

Switching from TV to handheld is also a great feature, as now my wife can watch random drama programs while I play on the switch.

I'll be the first to say i was against it when it was announced, but after playing it - it's been 100% worth the money, for me at least.

If you like anything about animal crossing, try Gardenpaws. Similar in many ways, but much better graphics and generally just more evolved, a big game you can spend lots and oodles of time in, and it continues to get major, free updates. It's on steam now and is being converted for switch. If you like that sort of game, I recommend Gardenpaws over animal crossing. Gardenpaws has a combat area, the dungeon, and also a combat island, but they are optional.

Animallica on steam is also very interesting - the original mode combines an indie world with great graphics with combat. I don't like combat games, my eye/hand coordination is impaired due to age. Still fine for real life, but falls short of reacting timely in combat games. But animallica also has a non-combat version, which I just started exploring. I haven't figured it all out yet, but it's enjoyable doing so, and the world is smashingly well done.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Dānu, OakTree500