Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Member art

Member art
(11-10-2018, 01:49 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote: I like researching the historical, religious, and folklore origins of a famous 16th-century Chinese novel called Journey to the West. The story follows an immortal monkey demon-turned-Buddhist monk who protects a priest traveling from China to India to retrieve scriptures from the Buddha. The monkey's unruly nature is kept in check by a magical golden headband that tightens around his head when a spell is chanted. In the end, he becomes a Buddha, at which point the headband disappears.

I recently saw this really neat 12th-century Japanese wooden statue of the Chinese Buddhist monk Baozhi (寶志, 418–514) with his face splitting open to reveal the Bodhisattva Guanyin, symbolizing his attainment of enlightenment.

[Image: dZLDRo.jpg]

I decided to do my own version with the monkey because he attains Buddhahood. The outer screaming face gives way to one of serenity, denoting his transition from an angry immortal to an enlightened Buddha. The sparks at the top represent his headband snapping open since it is no longer needed. Holy light emanates from the Urna on his forehead.

[Image: s4cnaj.png]

Also amazing!  Love the original wooden sculpture but wow, I really like where you took it!
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.

Member art
(11-22-2018, 12:52 AM)Mark Wrote: Also amazing!  Love the original wooden sculpture but wow, I really like where you took it!

Thank you for the kind words. I'm really proud of how it turned out.

Member art
I'm not the official artist in my family, that would be my wife who is a fairly famous textile artist who weaves.  My creative outlet is making my garden, and guess what: most of her artist friends are as into their gardens as they are whatever they're known for in the studio.  

She had a one person show at the Richmond Art Center in California which just came down.  Not the most prestigious venue of them all but one with a long and storied reputation in the area.  Here are some photos I took there.

I took most of them the day before it opened when there was lots of room to move around.

[Image: 45268492754_f9905b3e27.jpg]

This one is kind of different and is the only one we hang in our living space.

[Image: 44176876900_ae03598e9b.jpg]

This one I took the night of the opening and is significant for me because two very esteemed garden folks came.  Marsha Donahue lives in Berkeley (our town)  and is known world wide for the art objects she makes for gardens.  I've seem them many places.  She is a friend through a club we both belong to known as the Hortisexuals.  Cevan Forristt, renowned garden designer from further south in the bay area, as well as hortisexual.

[Image: 31053935897_a2b7a6c28c.jpg]

This one is a detail of still another phase her work has gone through, one of my favorites.

[Image: 45268479044_7fd74744d5.jpg]

If anyone is curious I could post some photos of Marcia's pieces.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.

Member art
(11-22-2018, 12:49 AM)Mark Wrote:
(10-13-2018, 05:35 AM)Maffis Wrote: Made a Youtube channel several years ago hoping it would keep me motivated to practice but I've been really inconsistent since and this is the only one I've posted. Will hopefully find a good teacher after I move soon. Please try to ignore the awkward cut in the middle, I couldn't play the whole thing without a mistake...

I love that.  Sounds vaguely familiar.  Is it your own creation?  You sure play amazing.

Thanks! It's not mine, Elijah Bossenbroek is a relatively small-time piano composer that I found and I really love his stuff. There are a lot of pieces by him that I plan to learn. One I'm close to finished with and will try and make a video soon.
The following 1 user Likes Maffis's post:
  • Mark

Member art
I was playing around with some filters on photoshop today. I was going for a 70s-style movie poster. I present "Booty Clap Johnson".

[Image: JFzO0c.png]
The following 8 users Like ghostexorcist's post:
  • RobbyPants, WhiskeyDebates, Phaedrus, Thumpalumpacus, Mark, jerry mcmasters, Emma, Jenny

Member art
A cafe near my home in Taipei has a cat named Bei-bei (貝貝). It's his world; he sleeps where he likes, like on the coffee maker, the counter, and guests' coats (he protests when they move him). Today, he was in his usual spot (utop the coffee maker), but his position looked like he was flying. So I took a pic to manipulate in photoshop. I present "Super Beibei!" The cafe has a collection of customer kitty art. I plan to have this printed for them.

[Image: pgphDE.png]

The original

[Image: 7U6Axr.jpg]
The following 9 users Like ghostexorcist's post:
  • Phaedrus, Unsapien, Alan V, RobbyPants, brewerb, Thumpalumpacus, Mark, Dom, Jenny
Music 
Member art
How'd I miss this?

Here's a song I wrote and recorded back in the 90s when I was trying to carve a career in music. I play all the instruments on the track. The drums were courtesy of my keyboard, but they too are played by hand; no computers were involved in making either of these songs. This one got shopped around for sale to other acts ... no takers.

https://soundcloud.com/thumpalumpacus/si...much-tk1-1

This one, also an original, was a somewhat-popular set-closer for us. Fun to play because it's instrumental, rockin', and has some out-there moments. Tim D on bass guitar for this one.

https://soundcloud.com/thumpalumpacus/going-tharn

Sorry I can't embed the Soundcloud.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Alan V, Smercury44

Member art
(03-10-2019, 03:18 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: How'd I miss this?

Here's a song I wrote and recorded back in the 90s when I was trying to carve a career in music. I play all the instruments on the track. The drums were courtesy of my keyboard, but they too are played by hand; no computers were involved in making either of these songs. This one got shopped around for sale to other acts ... no takers.

https://soundcloud.com/thumpalumpacus/si...much-tk1-1

This one, also an original, was a somewhat-popular set-closer for us. Fun to play because it's instrumental, rockin', and has some out-there moments. Tim D on bass guitar for this one.

https://soundcloud.com/thumpalumpacus/going-tharn

Sorry I can't embed the Soundcloud.

I picture the Allman Brothers covering the first one.  I enjoy hearing a guitar sing.

The second one might have worked for Led Zeppelin or Frigid Pink.  (I don't know as many heavy metal bands.)  But it seems to become more jazzy funk in the middle.
F. D.
The following 1 user Likes Mark's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Member art
(03-10-2019, 03:28 PM)Mark Wrote: The second one might have worked for Led Zeppelin or Frigid Pink.  (I don't know as many heavy metal bands.)  But it seems to become more jazzy funk in the middle.

Yeah, I like left turns in music, little surprise moments that keep things fun.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Mark

Member art
The wife had a piece in the local gallery which represents her.  It's in a yearly show they do called "Material Matters" which includes painting, weavings, ceramics, glass, sculpture, drawings and media.  Her piece was in the center of the space where the ceiling is highest.  It is a piece she had woven in a european factory.  She no longer makes work that large in the studio, though she used to.  There had been a commission for one of the Embarcadero buildings when it first opened which was three stories tall.

[Image: 32402267877_6e6771d900_c.jpg]

The kid holding the cabbage is my stepson when he was a toddler. Here is the proud mama of the kid and the piece.

[Image: 46429289055_30a912925f_c.jpg]

I'm working on getting the garden gussied up for an event in two weeks. As spring keeps trying to assert itself here, so is the garden. If I get any good pics I may put up a few soonish. This little bulb is happening now, though this photo is from nine years ago.

[Image: 4402127521_32423e8026_b.jpg]

All these plants are flowering now thought this photo is a few years old.

[Image: 16711650028_fa62bc9ec0_c.jpg]
F. D.
The following 7 users Like Mark's post:
  • ghostexorcist, RobbyPants, Emma, Smercury44, Thumpalumpacus, Jenny, jerry mcmasters

Member art
Does literature (fan fiction) count? Read

http://faerie-archive.com/viewuser.php?uid=119
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Emma, Thumpalumpacus

Member art
(03-11-2019, 01:15 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: Does literature (fan fiction) count? Read

http://faerie-archive.com/viewuser.php?uid=119

It does in my your book.  I'm a big fan of literature.
F. D.

Member art
My wife and I made four season paintings last weekend. We put on the finishing touches and got them on the walls today! She did fall and spring (1st and 3rd in the set), and I did winter and summer. This was all just done with cotton balls and swabs, putting yarn over the canvas for the birch trees. We added the lines with ink, afterward.

[Image: 60691723_10158825265001164_5314025596387...e=5D9B18B4]

[Image: 60246831_10158825265096164_7242170388476...e=5D6D5668]

[Image: 60886920_10158825265201164_7790045277271...e=5D6FCBEA]

[Image: 60899619_10158825265296164_1730737400696...e=5D655118]

[Image: 60434901_10158825265336164_3019742491650...e=5D60F07A]

Edit:

I was using this shot of my back yard from last November as a reference for my winter picture:

[Image: 46485469_10158335439296164_6776235865006...e=5D609D12]
The following 9 users Like RobbyPants's post:
  • Mark, Smercury44, Thumpalumpacus, Alan V, jerry mcmasters, brunumb, brewerb, TheGulegon, Jenny

Member art
Glad to see you finding a creative outlet over your long winters. Well,one that does t result inmore mouths to feed anyhow.
F. D.
The following 2 users Like Mark's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, RobbyPants

Member art
I do 

Metalworking. Meet Petunia Pig. Made from an out-of-proof date 5 gallon propane tank.

[Image: rF9VcA8.jpg]

Coppersmithing. This is a patinated rose in a vase I made for my wife about 8 YA for xmas. It's about 12" tall.

[Image: FMLrdOf.jpg]

Wood Carving. This is a "green man" (in the form of a grape leaf), which in folklore protects the trees in the forest. 9" tall.

[Image: XyGcSi3.jpg]

And a little dog, about 4" long.

[Image: pMwbAoO.jpg]

Wood working. I needed a chest to transport my tools to and from the Senior Center where we have a club and a class, one day a week each, for four hours.

Shown here without the tools, it's not finished inside the drawers because all the separators for the chisels and knives are not installed in this pic.

[Image: t3THJuZ.jpg]
The following 7 users Like Fireball's post:
  • RobbyPants, brewerb, Mark, brunumb, TheGulegon, Jenny, jerry mcmasters

Member art
That's all very nice! I've done very little 3D stuff like that other than painting miniatures, or maybe some of my more creative drywall/plaster repairs. Wink
The following 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post:
  • Fireball

Member art
This past Sunday we had a number of people over for our annual studio/garden party.  Spring is a great time for most gardens as it is in mine.  But this year we got a lot of severe weather, very unusual for us in May.  Since this is my primary creative outlet I'll post photos I took the next day.

[Image: 47847736592_3535671bba_c.jpg]

[Image: 46983625545_d0eab54e3d_c.jpg]

More:
Show ContentSpoiler:
F. D.
The following 5 users Like Mark's post:
  • brewerb, TheGulegon, RobbyPants, Jenny, Fireball

Member art
(05-21-2019, 11:19 PM)Mark Wrote: You might be able to spot Smokey in this one.

You should have said "see if you can find Smokey in each picture".
The following 2 users Like RobbyPants's post:
  • Fireball, Mark

Member art
It seems TinyPic went the way of PhotoBucket. I'll host my pic from the OP on Imgur.

Here's the last D&D character I got to play: a peg-legged goblin druid named Kaiglarek and his mastiff Francis.

[Image: 0ampqKL.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post:
  • brewerb

Member art
My daughter wants to roll an elf ranger and asked me to draw her. She described all the details she wanted, and I whipped this up after dinner. I think she wants me to add a fox, later.

[Image: wCy62oj.jpg]
The following 3 users Like RobbyPants's post:
  • Fireball, brewerb, Mark

Member art
You have some skill, there! I can draft up designs; I even have some French curves left over, though the drafting board is long gone. I do it all on the computer, now. But I still only have rudimentary free-hand drawing skills.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • RobbyPants

Member art
(12-09-2019, 03:49 AM)Fireball Wrote: You have some skill, there! I can draft up designs; I even have some French curves left over, though the drafting board is long gone. I do it all on the computer, now. But I still only have rudimentary free-hand drawing skills.

Thanks!

I'm not good at mouse drawing. I have a drawing I started sketching last week solely on PC, but it's a work in progress. All of my practice is pencil and paper.

Member art
I don't draw with a mouse either, free hand. I have a computer program by Microsoft, called VISIO to do the heavy lifting.  Smile

Member art
(10-13-2018, 05:35 AM)Maffis Wrote: Made a Youtube channel several years ago hoping it would keep me motivated to practice but I've been really inconsistent since and this is the only one I've posted. Will hopefully find a good teacher after I move soon. Please try to ignore the awkward cut in the middle, I couldn't play the whole thing without a mistake...

I think I'm in love with you.  Heart   That was WONDERFUL!
                                                         T4618
The following 3 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Mark, Fireball, Maffis

Member art

Wow, that's beautiful!
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • Maffis