Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
halloweeeeeeeeen

halloweeeeeeeeen
Okay, everyone! It's truth telling time! How much candy did you pilfer from the kids this year?

I buy candy every year and hand it out just because I think it's the neighborly thing to do. I get the good stuff, too. I don't want to be that place with the Tootsie Rolls and the Jolly Ranchers. No, no, I give the Reese's, the Milky Ways, the M&M's and the Almond Joys -the chocolate stuff (whatever comes in the bag). I give 3 pieces to each kid that comes by but toward the end of the night I start dumping it. Last night when I was sick of answering the bell I left a bowl on a little table by the door and this horde of teenagers came by and I was sure they were going to be happy to clean me out. To my surprise, they each took a piece and left the rest.  Shock No! This is not what teenagers are supposed to be doing!

I chased them down with my little candy bowl in hand and shouted "No! You were supposed to take it all!" Their faces lit up and they laughed and they each grabbed a handful and went about their merry way.

To answer my question from above, I had zero pieces of candy. I can't stand the stuff and I don't like it lingering in my home.
The following 3 users Like Aliza's post:
  • SYZ, Smercury44, M.Linoge

halloweeeeeeeeen
(11-01-2018, 05:00 PM)Aliza Wrote: Okay, everyone! It's truth telling time! How much candy did you pilfer from the kids this year?

I buy candy every year and hand it out just because I think it's the neighborly thing to do. I get the good stuff, too. I don't want to be that place with the Tootsie Rolls and the Jolly Ranchers. No, no, I give the Reese's, the Milky Ways, the M&M's and the Almond Joys -the chocolate stuff (whatever comes in the bag). I give 3 pieces to each kid that comes by but toward the end of the night I start dumping it. Last night when I was sick of answering the bell I left a bowl on a little table by the door and this horde of teenagers came by and I was sure they were going to be happy to clean me out. To my surprise, they each took a piece and left the rest.  Shock No! This is not what teenagers are supposed to be doing!

I chased them down with my little candy bowl in hand and shouted "No! You were supposed to take it all!" Their faces lit up and they laughed and they each grabbed a handful and went about their merry way.

To answer my question from above, I had zero pieces of candy. I can't stand the stuff and I don't like it lingering in my home.

I bet you would not say that about peanut butter cups!
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Chas, TheGulegon

halloweeeeeeeeen
(11-01-2018, 06:13 PM)Dom Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 05:00 PM)Aliza Wrote: Okay, everyone! It's truth telling time! How much candy did you pilfer from the kids this year?

Welllll... maybe. I like Justin's dark chocolate peanut butter cups from time to time, and to be fair, of all of the candy on the market, Reese's peanut butter cups are most likely to be my go-to candy. I eat candy very, very rarely. I went through a brief phase about 2 years ago when I tasted a bunch of candy but the taste for it didn't stick.

I don't really like chocolate, though. I know that's weird, but I just don't care for it that much. Once in awhile I'm in the mood, but if it's too sweet or it's milk chocolate, I'm usually going to pass on it. I detest hard candy, gummy bears, lolly pops, taffy, M&M's, Hershey's chocolate anything, starburst and skittles (not even kosher), marshmallows, Junior Mints... I think you get the idea.

halloweeeeeeeeen
(11-01-2018, 06:25 PM)Aliza Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 06:13 PM)Dom Wrote:

Welllll... maybe. I like Justin's dark chocolate peanut butter cups from time to time, and to be fair, of all of the candy on the market, Reese's peanut butter cups are most likely to be my go-to candy. I eat candy very, very rarely. I went through a brief phase about 2 years ago when I tasted a bunch of candy but the taste for it didn't stick.

I don't really like chocolate, though. I know that's weird, but I just don't care for it that much. Once in awhile I'm in the mood, but if it's too sweet or it's milk chocolate, I'm usually going to pass on it.  I detest hard candy, gummy bears, lolly pops, taffy, M&M's, Hershey's chocolate anything, starburst and skittles (not even kosher), marshmallows, Junior Mints... I think you get the idea.

Wait, Skittles aren't kosher?

halloweeeeeeeeen
(11-01-2018, 06:28 PM)Dom Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 06:25 PM)Aliza Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 06:13 PM)Dom Wrote: I bet you would not say that about peanut butter cups!

I don't really like chocolate, though. I know that's weird, but I just don't care for it that much. Once in awhile I'm in the mood, but if it's too sweet or it's milk chocolate, I'm usually going to pass on it.  I detest hard candy, gummy bears, lolly pops, taffy, M&M's, Hershey's chocolate anything, starburst and skittles (not even kosher), marshmallows, Junior Mints... I think you get the idea.

Nope! I think they have gelatin.

halloweeeeeeeeen
(11-01-2018, 06:35 PM)Aliza Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 06:28 PM)Dom Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 06:25 PM)Aliza Wrote: Welllll... maybe. I like Justin's dark chocolate peanut butter cups from time to time, and to be fair, of all of the candy on the market, Reese's peanut butter cups are most likely to be my go-to candy. I eat candy very, very rarely. I went through a brief phase about 2 years ago when I tasted a bunch of candy but the taste for it didn't stick.

Yabbut, most gelatin today isn't made from animal products, it is made from pectins combined with gums. This is partially to cater to the Jewish population and also the Vegan population. Most gelatin that isn't made like this, is made from fish skins these days and also kosher. I just happened to read about that.

halloweeeeeeeeen
(11-01-2018, 06:41 PM)Dom Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 06:35 PM)Aliza Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 06:28 PM)Dom Wrote: Wait, Skittles aren't kosher?

Yabbut, most gelatin today isn't made from animal products, it is made from pectins combined with gums. This is partially to cater to the Jewish population and also the Vegan population. Most gelatin that isn't made like this, is made from fish skins these days and also kosher. I just happened to read about that.

I don't really know if Skittles are kosher or not. I think they weren't when I was a kid, and I never thought to update my files.

Honestly, you couldn't pay me to eat Skittles.

Show ContentSpoiler:

halloweeeeeeeeen
(11-01-2018, 06:52 PM)Aliza Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 06:41 PM)Dom Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 06:35 PM)Aliza Wrote: Nope! I think they have gelatin.

I don't really know if Skittles are kosher or not. I think they weren't when I was a kid, and I never thought to update my files.

Honestly, you couldn't pay me to eat Skittles.

Show ContentSpoiler:

Hehe, I'll eat them myself. Actually, I don't like them much either. I like chocolate truffles.

halloweeeeeeeeen

None. I'm not a real monster!  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Though, I did drink all my candy without giving any out. Blush

[Image: Halloween-drinks.jpg?cb=f57bf62f20e675c8...396a094944]

Tongue
The following 4 users Like TheGulegon's post:
  • Aliza, Smercury44, jerry mcmasters, M.Linoge

halloweeeeeeeeen
(11-01-2018, 11:54 AM)Mathilda Wrote:
(10-22-2018, 01:20 PM)OakTree500 Wrote: I'm going on a "Halloween train/ghost walk" with my wife, daughter and father in law. Right now, I'mnot dressing up, but my daughter is. It's a ride on a private steam railway and with stops that involve going on a mini-ghost walk for whatever reason.

Would that be the Bluebell railway?

They do a Christmas day dinner as well. I always thought that would be cool.

No, it was the llangollen Railway. They do a lot of things like this: real ale days, themed days, Thomas the tank days etc. Generally the Halloween one is for little kids, so it wasn't up to much, but I imagine the other days are pretty cool.

We actually stayed in one of the station houses for a week, about a month ago, where you get free passes for the train and can ride whenever. I'm not massive into trains, but I come from a town that was involved in the history of train production so it's pretty cool to see some of these things in action. My father in law LOVES trains though, so he was in his element.

halloweeeeeeeeen
Let's a goooooo!
[Image: IMG-0904.jpg]
[Image: 320-C6-ED7-97-CD-4-AB2-A60-A-759-A45-FB7-FE8.jpg]
"The Thinking Atheist forum" “The Thinking Atheist forum closed down" “TTA Forum”
The following 1 user Likes Smercury44's post:
  • Aliza

halloweeeeeeeeen
I'll be fueled by junk candy for a few more days for sure.