Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion In Iran

Religion In Iran
If you go back a few decades, you will see that this trend is not new. In cuiture, Iranians in the 60s and 70s enjoyed a secular rule that kept religion in place. Fashion, music, and cinema were all enjoyed by Muslims who held their beliefs much like American Christians, cherry-picking what they thought important and disregarding the rest. The culture was more open and libertine. There were of course still fundies, but they lacked the power to impose their views, then. Obviously things have changed ... on the surface.

The current Iranian government likely claims that absurdly-high percentage as a function of it relying on Islam as the basis of its power. I don't think that will last in the long run. We've seen dissatisfaction with the mullahs spread into the streets several times now since 2009, and that subversion may be quiet right now but it hasn't gone away, I don't think. I'm not surprised Iranians are more secular, and more skeptical, nowadays.
On hiatus.

Messages In This Thread
Religion In Iran - by Cheerful Charlie - 09-11-2020, 11:02 PM
RE: Religion In Iran - by Thumpalumpacus - 09-11-2020, 11:57 PM