Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covid 19 to prepare or not to prepare and should we be worried?

Covid 19 to prepare or not to prepare and should we be worried?
My own thoughts on this I will post later when I have more time but suffice it to say I have bought two weeks non perishable foodstuffs and medications and next week I'll get another couple of weeks worth and I'd advise anyone to do the same. No need to go mad like a prepper but panic and fear is probably more dangerous than the virus at the moment and there are reports of empty supermarkets stripped bare in Italy and Amsterdam so sensible preparations seem like a good idea to me. 

The virus mortality rate is uncertain due to to under reporting in China and Iran but current data sets place it as between 1 and 2% usually in persons with significant co-morbitity which is higher than seasonal flu but not exactly apocalyptical, however the risk of serious illness requiring intensive medical intervention such as oxygen therapy and mechanical ventilation is between 10 and 20% and it appears that the case fatality rate of 1 to 2% is only accurate where good medical care is available, if Covid19 goes pandemic and out of control even countries with world class medical infrastructure will start struggling to cope and then the mortality rate will inevitably increase but our two biggest enemies currently are panic and complacency its not the apocalypse but it is serious and its not "just like the flu" maybe in the future it will be but I think it's a mistake to think about it in those terms at the moment.
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast

Messages In This Thread
Covid 19 to prepare or not to prepare and should we be worried? - by adey67 - 02-29-2020, 02:22 PM