Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend... - is it valid stance?

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend... - is it valid stance?
(11-01-2020, 08:16 PM)Szuchow Wrote: As for sides - my side is not on top nor it will be in the near future. It does not change the fact that fascists should be opposed even by force if needs be. I've never said that state is only for giving cuddles.

If your side could not muster popularity, it either didn't deliver the message properly, or the people don't want to hear it. But rights are there to protect the weak, not the strong. By advocating for the repression of free speech, you are destroying the village in order to save it, as an American general once famously said.

The content of the speech is not nearly as important as the principle that the government has the prerogative to quash dissent, which is inevitably where such a power will end up. And at that point it matters not whether the dictatorship is fascist or leftist. What matters is that the people will have lost the right to criticize the government.

All this ineluctably flows from granting the power to repress speech.
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Minimalist, adey67, Kim

Messages In This Thread
RE: I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend... - is it valid stance? - by Thumpalumpacus - 11-01-2020, 09:34 PM