Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firefox browser acting up with this forum

I keep getting this:

Quote:Unable to connect

Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at atheistdiscussion.org.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Never had the issue with Chrome, but the Chrome browser was making my laptop freeze up all the time, forcing me to remove the battery in back in order to restart the computer.

Now this. Not sure what's causing it, but maybe some technical person here might know. After I get the message, I immediately check FB where I can connect just fine. Therefore, it does seem to be a forum issue.

(12-08-2019, 03:22 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: I keep getting this:

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
   If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Never had the issue with Chrome, but the Chrome browser was making my laptop freeze up all the time, forcing me to remove the battery in back in order to restart the computer.

Now this. Not sure what's causing it, but maybe some technical person here might know. After I get the message, I immediately check FB where I can connect just fine. Therefore, it does seem to be a forum issue.

There can be several reasons for this, hopefully software related because they are the easiest to fix.

1. The # 1 cause of freezing is the antivirus product. If you have Norton, Mcfee, AVG, Avast, Avira, etc, remove it. Restart your computer.

2. From THIS WEBSITE download Adware Cleaner and run it. It will detect both malicious files and preinstalled software. When it's done scanning- which takes about 1 minute- click to remove the malicious files it finds. It will also suggest removing the preinstalled software but you may need that so just continue to remove without checking the box to remove the preinstalled software. Reboot the PC.

3. From THIS WEBSITE, download, install, and run Malwarebytes. It should find a few more things.

4. On Google Chrome, click the 3 vertical dots in the top right corner, and select Settings. Select Extensions on the left side menu. Remove all extensions that are not listed under  "Chrome Apps," and then restart Chrome.

Try the above for starters.
Welcome to the Atheist Forums on AtheistDiscussion.org
The following 2 users Like Free's post:
  • Aliza, Dom

This has been going on for 12 months, and is apparently "unfixable".

See this earlier thread:     http://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/show...p?tid=1769

Angry  Angry  Angry
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(12-08-2019, 03:33 AM)Free Wrote: 1. The #1 cause of freezing is the antivirus product. If you have Norton, Mcfee, AVG, Avast, Avira, etc, remove it. Restart your computer...

Thank you for these suggestions, but I have to disagree with your suggestion to uninstall/disable your
anti-malware software protection.  None of the name-brand antivirus products will generate the failed
connection error message.  And any that do would ask you to whitelist the affected site, rather than
blocking the connection outright, with no dialogue.

At any rate, the glitch has to be at the server end, as numerous people here have complained repeatedly
about this same issue, with all running different browsers, OSs, and software.

Disabling antivirus protection—even for a few minutes—is asking for trouble.

Smile

(12-08-2019, 09:14 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(12-08-2019, 03:33 AM)Free Wrote: 1. The #1 cause of freezing is the antivirus product. If you have Norton, Mcfee, AVG, Avast, Avira, etc, remove it. Restart your computer...

Thank you for these suggestions, but I have to disagree with your suggestion to uninstall/disable your
anti-malware software protection.  None of the name-brand antivirus products will generate the failed
connection error message.  And any that do would ask you to whitelist the affected site, rather than
blocking the connection outright, with no dialogue.

At any rate, the glitch has to be at the server end, as numerous people here have complained repeatedly
about this same issue, with all running different browsers, OSs, and software.

Disabling antivirus protection—even for a few minutes—is asking for trouble.

Smile

He isn't just talking about his connection to this site. He's talking about his computer locking up insomuch as he needs to hard boot it. Both are likely related. Just because a few others complained about Firefox doesn't mean Firefox is actually the problem. It works differently, therefore it is dealt with differently by security software's. 

All antivirus products suck and all the ones I listed will do everything I described. What it all comes down to is which one sucks less.

If he has Win10, he will automatically activate Windows Defender antivirus if he removes his other antivirus product. Also, note that I told him to install Malwarebytes, therefore he will have the best protection available in regards to malware, even if it's a 2 week trial version. 

It is my experienced and professional opinion that overall, Windows Defender in conjunction with Malwarebytes provides the best overall protection without negatively affecting the performance of the computer.

Antivirus products are not some kind of holy shrine. Most are some kind of "holy fuck!" I long ago lost count of how many computers we fixed just by removing the antivirus.
Welcome to the Atheist Forums on AtheistDiscussion.org
The following 1 user Likes Free's post:
  • SYZ

Yes, I get the message about failing to connect all the time but my computer does not freeze up.  That does sound as if there is something else going on.

Usually I do not get the message on a primary contact.  IOW when I open AD from my homepage it usually works fine.  I can pick a message, type a reply and have it go through without issue.

It is the "secondary" contact that causes the problem.  For example:  I'll open a thread, hit reply, type up a comment and then look to add a citation to another site, usually a news site.  Then, I will preview the story, select the news url I have just posted, and copy a headline or comment from the story and come back to quote it on AD.  This normally works fine.  It is when I then go to submit the completed post that I get the error message that Phae mentions and I would say that happens half the time.  I don't have a clue why it works the other half of the time.  In most cases I select the entire post, copy it, and back out all the way to the homepage.  Then I go back in, find the thread, paste the reply and hit submit and it goes through.  Here's the kicker.  In about 25% of the cases I find that the post that it told me did not go through is already there!

I'm way above my pay grade here but I have wondered if it doesn't have something to do with the various pay walls or adblock / anti-adblock software that a lot of these sites use.  I'll leave that speculation to the experts.  With Chrome, if I get that message it is usually because the site is down and FF does not work either.  I should probably start using Chrome more.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

Chrome has been freezing up on me. I'm rebooting daily now. Not saying this site is any part of the problem.

Or maybe I am.

I dunno.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

People seem to have been having such problems with Chrome and Windows 10.

https://www.cnet.com/news/windows-10-apr...fix-may-8/

If you have a computer with a physical keyboard, press the Windows logo key + Ctrl + Shift + B.
On a tablet, simultaneously press the volume-up and volume-down buttons three times quickly.
On a laptop, close the laptop's lid.

https://www.minitool.com/news/new-chrome...ws-10.html

In December 2018, a new bug affecting Google Chrome had been spotted. It was reported that it can use up all of a computer's resources in Windows 10, and eventually cause the Windows operating system to freeze up entirely.

The newly discovered bug works via JavaScript code to create a loop and appears in the presence of you as a phishing scam related to tech support.

To be specific, it can call a dialog box that is claimed to be from the official website of Microsoft, telling your computer is infected with a virus, which may compromise your passwords, browser history, credit card information and other data.

It seems to be a continuing problem with Chrome, Windows 10 and "Bob" knows what else.

```
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

I find that if I just keep hitting "try again" it eventually goes through, but it can take up to a minute or so.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • SYZ

(12-11-2019, 12:41 AM)Dānu Wrote: I find that if I just keep hitting "try again" it eventually goes through, but it can take up to a minute or so.

Yep... this works for me.  Unfortunately I have to do this sometimes a dozen times or more,
and it certainly takes much longer than a minute or so.  Occasionally I'll log out and log
back into AD in an effort to get a better connection—as it's often quicker than refreshing.
My ping is fine at less than 10ms, with zero packet loss, and a stable FTTN connection, which
is why I'm guessing the issue lies with AD's server.  The same scenario applies if I'm using 4G.

This is getting really frustrating.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

I've been using Firefox exclusively on this forum without problems. Consider
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 2 users Like Chas's post:
  • Free, TheGentlemanBastard

Yeppers... I'm still getting the "unable to connect" error message a lot of the time. And it's
got worse over the past month or so. Very irritating.

This is so weird, because I rarely ever get this with AD, but I get it all the time with FB.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

After going several weeks without it happening much at all it is suddenly back with a vengeance.

I haven't experienced the issue over the past several weeks either.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

All I can do is report my observations.  This stuff is above my pay grade.

Tongue

Running Linux, with Firefox 52, an old LTS Firefox, I do not have this problem. I am with ATT so no problem with them here. On another forum far away, some people were having problems which were cleared up by clearing the cache, recommended by doing ctl F5 or ctl r.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

I clear my cache on average every 3 to 5 days.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

I haven't used my laptop in a bit, due to reasons explained in another thread, but I haven't noticed any particular connection issues on the mobile outside of dead spots in the apartment.

I sometimes get it when a topic is hot,usually after long post that wont post..lol i think it's as simple as the site being to busy to cope.
TIP: if you are posting a lengthy reply, cut and paste you post into notepad and save it, that way if it does freak out wait till you can get back in again and cut and paste it back.
Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid.

(02-08-2020, 12:13 AM)possibletarian Wrote: TIP: if you are posting a lengthy reply, cut and paste you post into notepad and save it, that way if it does freak out wait till you can get back in again and cut and paste it back.

Not necessary... click on the "Save as Draft" button at the lower right-hand corner of the dialogue box.     Sun

[Image: 0eb9a0b7-0dfb-463d-b582-4b2071439a38.png]

Have you tried this?