Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A bowl of cherries

A bowl of cherries
Cherry = fruit = healthy.

I'm not seeing what the issue is.

A bowl of cherries
(07-23-2019, 01:15 AM)Dom Wrote:
(07-23-2019, 12:18 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote: No more salty snacks for me after my recent hospital stay. I've just put cherries on my shopping list, along with other fruits and raw veggies.  Big Grin

Melons are in season, as are grapes and mangos.

Melons with a smooth surface - knock on their side and it should have a sort of hollow sound. 

Melons with textured surfaces - press on the spot where the stem was and smell. Should have aroma. They can be discolored (from lying on the ground) but not dented (bruised). They should give just a little to pressure.

Grapes are pretty much all good. Mangos may give a little when squeezed lightly, or be hard. This lets you decide when you plan to eat it... Squishy is bad, shrivelly is ok, actually a bit sweeter that way. 

Black cherries are usually great, as are the yellow ones. Cherries won't keep long. 

Try not to refrigerate fruit, they lose sweetness. But they do keep longer...

Nature's candy. Fruit can be addictive.

Also in season - avocados. If they give a little they are ready to eat. I often buy one that is ready and the rest hard. I put the hard ones in the fridge and pull them out a few days before I want to eat them and let them ripen. Avocados with an air bubble under the skin are bad!

Thanks for the tips! I did my grocery shopping yesterday. My shopping list included black cherries, red seedless grapes, cucumbers and avocados. I'll have a look at the mangoes and melons next week. I like cantaloupes cut in half with the center cavity filled with cottage cheese. Fruit may be addictive, but it's certainly got to be more healthy than stuffing myself with potato chips, Chex Mix and Doritos.  Consider
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Dom

A bowl of cherries
(07-23-2019, 02:10 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: Cherry = fruit = healthy.

Too many cherries > spending a day near and in the bathroom. Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

A bowl of cherries
(07-24-2019, 01:36 PM)Dom Wrote:

Too many cherries > spending a day near and in the bathroom. Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing.

I haven't noticed any laxative effect from eating cherries, but at my age that might not be such a bad thing.  Winking
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Dom

A bowl of cherries
(07-24-2019, 01:41 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:
(07-24-2019, 01:36 PM)Dom Wrote:

I haven't noticed any laxative effect from eating cherries, but at my age that might not be such a bad thing.  Winking

I think it's just me. I know it's not universal.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]