Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What movie did you last see?

I'm debating going and seeing "Licorice Pizza" starring one of the Haim sisters. But I have real life stuff to deal with as well.

Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • Alan V

I saw the newest Batman. I thought it dragged at points, but overall I thought it was excellent.

They managed to breathe some fresh air into the character by making Bruce Wayne a weird, emo virgin (which fits much better than suave playboy, considering he's a mentally ill ninja who fights crime.) They also focused heavily on the "detective" aspect of the Batman character (even though he's kinda shitty at it lmao).

The cinematography was incredible, and certainly a breath of fresh air compared to the soulless photography present in the Marvel movies. This is a good analysis of the photography, though he maybe overhypes it a little too much:

And, not that they need to be compared, but I think The Batman is 10x better than any of the older Batman movies from the 80s/90s, 5x better than Batman Begins and Dark Knight Rises, not quite as good and powerful as The Dark Knight. Overall, a good movie. I'd happily watch a sequel.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

The following 3 users Like Aegon's post:
  • Alan V, Antonio, mordant

[Image: Mulan-900x506.jpg]

Mulan.

"Her Midichlorian count is off the charts!"
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Everything Everywhere All At Once

It is one of the best movies I have seen in recent memory. Seriously. It takes the Matrix-esque "you're the chosen one" trope and runs with it to incredible and unique places. An excellent film with themes of generational trauma and optimistic nihilism with a conception of the multiverse that gives Marvel a run for their money. 9/10

The following 4 users Like Aegon's post:
  • Alan V, pocaracas, Kim, GenesisNemesis

Phantom.

Interesting little cold war thriller.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

[Image: Hit_movie_poster_1970s.gif]
Popcorn
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

"Uncharted", a Spiderman movie.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

The Secrets of Dumbledore.

Which Dumbledore? Whistling

Seen a few recently, working through the last of my "top 100 movies" list:

The Intouchables

Plot:
A rich paraplegic man interviews for a new in house care worker - a man turns up who is simply looking to claim his benefits [by having the man sign off that he applied for work] but the rich man gives him the job. The care giver is from "the street" an does things a certain way, while the rich man educates him on the finer things in life. Between them both they form a close bond that improves both of their lives.

Thoughts:
Very much enjoyed this - it's a French film based upon a true story as well, and is very funny also.

---

In Bruges

Plot:
Following a botched assignation of a preist, in which a young child was killed in the cross fire, the hitman goes into hiding in Bruges. There he hides with his handler, until they await further information on what is next.

Thoughts:
Very funny, very dark and very violent as well. Loved this movie. Anybody who hasn't seen it absolutely should mainly for how funny it is.

---

Her

Plot:
In the near future, a lonely man purchases an AI that is intellignet/can learn. He chooses a female voice and "Samantha" is born. The two form a close bond and the relationship blossoms.

Thoughts:
An interesting thought provoking film on what we consider to be intelligence/relationships and later on down the line, what that means in the long term. Maybe a little bit over long, but a fantastic movie non the less.
The following 1 user Likes OakTree500's post:
  • Kim

[Image: Fortress_2010_poster.jpg]
Popcorn
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2318405/

Saw Coda a couple weeks ago.
A simple film. Simple - like how life is simple, right?
There's a lot there - it's funny and it's got heart. It adresses realities we often take for granted. Or, if some realities are outside our intimate circle, we often make them invisible.

Simple things can pack a wallop. Shy

This one:

The following 1 user Likes pocaracas's post:
  • KittyAnn

The Northman

Another incredible movie from A24. An adaptation of Amleth, the Norse legend that Shakesphere based Hamlet off of. So the movie essentially begins as Vikings Hamlet, with the classic set-up of the evil brother killing the father and taking over the kingdom. However, after that, the film finds its own voice and is able to subvert expectations and drive home new themes using the same story we have seen over and over; the themes are the cycle of violence / generational trauma, free will vs. determinism, and what it means to be a man in viking culture. An absolute masterpiece from start to finish, some of the most logistically complex cinematography I have ever seen, and Skarsgard's acting is un-fucking-real. This is also apparently the most historically accurate Vikings movie ever. There is plenty of weird-ass shit, with fleshed out ritual scenes of viking men screaming and barking like dogs to the tune of throat singing because... well, this is the same guy who made "The Lighthouse," so it had to be at least a little out there.

8/10

EDIT: It actually isn't an A24 film, I just assumed it was because Eggers directed. But now that I think about it, this was a big-budget film, while A24 is small budget.

I just noticed Zac Efron is in the Firestarter remake we're going to see tonight.

Took Boss Lady to see the FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE SECRETS OF DUMBLEDORE. Had fun.
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Alan V, Phaedrus

First time I saw a movie in the theatre in forever.

Firestarter (2022)

Movie was supposed to start at 8pm. It started a few minutes after, but not quite. There was at least twenty minutes of trailers for upcoming movies.

There are three upcoming movies I want to see.

Before leaving for the theatre, I drank coffee. Had to get up and urinate halfway through Firestarter even though I had done so twice before the movie started. Drinking fluids before seeing a movie: 3/10, would not recommend.

As for my personal rating of the film, considering I don't really remember the original, I give it a solid 6/10. I think it could have been better, more.

(03-11-2022, 02:11 AM)c172 Wrote: I'm debating going and seeing "Licorice Pizza" starring one of the Haim sisters. But I have real life stuff to deal with as well.

I bought this on Amazon and initailly watched it in two sittings because of real life stuff. But I did watch it through a few days ago. Kind of long, but an interesting cast (including the three Haim sisters, Tom Waits and Bradley Cooper, a favorite of mine). Takes place a couple years before my birth, but I did like the stylistic elements. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Licorice_Pizza
Is this sig thing on?

"Uncharted", the latest Spiderman movie.

(05-15-2022, 12:14 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: "Uncharted", the latest Spiderman movie.

>__>

(04-19-2022, 12:43 AM)Aegon Wrote: Everything Everywhere All At Once

It is one of the best movies I have seen in recent memory. Seriously. It takes the Matrix-esque "you're the chosen one" trope and runs with it to incredible and unique places. An excellent film with themes of generational trauma and optimistic nihilism with a conception of the multiverse that gives Marvel a run for their money. 9/10

I'm looking forward to seeing this but waiting for it to come to streaming. Looks like it's coming to streaming next month.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

Senior Year Netflix
Quote:A cheerleading stunt gone wrong landed her in a 20-year coma. Now she's 37, newly awake and ready to live out her high school dream: becoming prom queen.

[Image: Stardust_promo_poster.jpg]
Popcorn
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • pocaracas

The Rental Netflix
Quote:Two couples rent a vacation home for what should be a celebratory weekend get-away.