Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What movie did you last see?

Nosferatu.
Deadpan Coffee Drinker 

[Image: Once_Upon_A_Time_In_America1.jpg]
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Dānu, KittyAnn

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2011)
A group of British retirees decide to try living out their golden years in Jaipur, India, at an old hotel. It’s a new project, overseen by Sonny who inherited the building from his father.

- A fun little drama with people, old and young, trying to make the best of their circumstances.

The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2015)
The hotel is running smoothly. The guests are exploring new vocations and relationships. Meanwhile Sonny is making a fool of himself, trying to get married, controlling his insecurities and securing the expansion of the business.

- Much the same, retirees sharing semi romantic situations and biting British dryness in India, with more emphasis on comedy this time. Better. 
Old people are funny. 

The Hummingbird Project (2018)
Two cousins - with very different skill sets and problems - building a fiberline to shave off a few nanoseconds of travel time to gain an advantage on the algorithm-controlled stock market.
Naturally, the competition will throw everything they have against them.

- Interesting. A reflection of the struggle to succeed in the modern world. 
Alexander Skarsgård gets to show his range. That man can play anything.
"The advantage of faith over reason, is that reason requires understanding. Which usually requires education; resources of time and money. 
Religion needs none of that. - It empowers the lowliest idiot to pretend that he is wiser than the wise, ignoring all the indications otherwise "
 - A. Ra
The following 2 users Like M.Linoge's post:
  • Alan V, Bcat

Do Not Disturb (1999)
On a vacation in Amsterdam a mute girl wanders away from her family and becomes a witness to a bumbling homicide. She eventually finds her parents, whom do not believe her. Sharing the story later that evening with their business associate, who happens to be the one of the killers.

- Not good. I think they were trying to make it funny, failed, and made it look stupid instead.

Ten Thousand Saints (2015)
New year’s eve, 80’s, Vermont. Jude’s absentee father’s girlfriend’s daughter stops by Vermont for a visit. Mistakes are made by the glue and freon huffing, coke lining, stupid teenagers. 
Afterwards both of them throw themselves into hippie beliefs and try to grow up way too fast. 

- There is a valuable a story here, hidden by wildly unlikable characters. 

Golfballs! (1999)
A failing golf course uses beautiful women to avoid bankruptcy.

- A b-grade comedy with topless women and farting dogs.
"The advantage of faith over reason, is that reason requires understanding. Which usually requires education; resources of time and money. 
Religion needs none of that. - It empowers the lowliest idiot to pretend that he is wiser than the wise, ignoring all the indications otherwise "
 - A. Ra

My life flashing before my eyes. It consisted of a lot of time on the internet. Deadpan Coffee Drinker
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Winter's Tale (2014)
Peter, a thief raised by a demon, falls in love with a girl while robbing a house. The demon tries to kill his fosterson out of fear their love could be miraculous and create a new star in the sky.

- Overtly dramatic religious recruitment propaganda wrapped around a romance story.

Show ContentSpoiler:

The Shack (2017)
A man who has suffered loss and violence receives a letter, inviting him to a shack, signed by the name his dead daughter used to call god. He goes, expecting the kiddy snatcher to be there; instead he enters a magical realm with gods, who reprimand him in various ways for not being good enough, while they let the evil tear through the lives of innocent people.

- A movie about your duty to swallow violence in silence and accept the death of your child with a humble and glad heart.

Show ContentSpoiler:

The Presence (2010)
A writer goes to her father’s remote lake cabin. Not knowing the ghost of an escaped convict is haunting it, watching her. When her boyfriend shows up, it stirs the spirits of the house into action. 

- Not bad, for a religion oriented ghost story.
 - A. Ra

Anguish (2015)
A stressed single mother and her teenage daughter, with several diagnoses and medications, moves to a new house. Either the move triggers Jessica’s symptoms into overdrive, or she is a powerful psychic and they moved to a very haunted neighborhood. 

- A good performance by the main. Drawback, playing a mentally ill person properly makes for a mostly dull movie; unless you hallucinate Tyler Durden 2.0.

Modus Anomali (2012)
A man wakes up buried alive in the woods. Clawing himself out of the shallow grave, he has no memory of who he is. Stumbling thought the forest he finds a house, with a video camera inside and a sticker saying Press Play.
The first clip does nothing to put him at ease.

- Slow, mostly him creeping around. I can’t think of a single good thing about this one.

Chilling Visions – 5 Senses of Fear (2013)
A horror anthology of short stories with themes on the sense.

- Some ok, some nutty enough to be good.

Eden Lodge (2015)
A married bitter couple and their baby, on vacation in rural England, have car trouble in the middle of the night/-nowhere. They are given directions to a hotel by a passerby.
Someone is picking off the people att the hotel one by one.

- A weird nod to Psycho. Very bad.

The Darkness (2016)
After a family vacation next to some ancient ruins in the Grand Canyon – where the autistic son falls into a cave system and makes it out by himself – the house is different. Noises and dirty handprints, all attributed to Michael, who says it’s his new friend Jennie.

- A haunted house plot, trying for some originality. Nothing special.

The Perfect House (2011)
A young couple looks at a house that just got on the market. While they look, the viewer gets an anthology of short stories from the previous owners of the house of gore.

- An excellent horror. Some low performing actors is to be expected in an indie with a large cast.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=4229708]
 - A. Ra

Star Games (rifftracks edition), 1998.  If not the worst movie ever made, it’s the worst movie I have ever seen.   The best actor in the film is a bear.
god, ugh

Apparition (2015)
After the death of his girlfriend, Doug still stays in the farmhouse they bought together. A house said to be cursed and haunted, which isn’t helping his mental state, isolated and alone. Assuming he really is alone.

- Boring.

Stalker (2010)
An author had a breakdown after her first book. To recover and work she sequesters herself on her uncle’s estate with a few staff maintaining the house. One of them is a fan, and very dangerous.

- I was hoping this would be like Misery. No such luck. 

Enemy (2013)
A teacher in a bleak, repetitive existence discovers he has doppelganger; an actor. Intrigued, he investigates and briefly impersonates his double. A situation from which surely only good things can come…

- Very slow. Very quiet. Very weird.
Usually I like a bit of creativity. This was a huge dud.

The Truth About Emanuel (2013)
A story about a teenager whose mother died in childbirth. Depressed, vulgar and self-hating.
Things takes a turn when she meets the new neighbor. A woman who snapped after losing her baby and has deluded herself a doll is her child.
The teen enables the delusion, protects it from the real world. Doing so allows her to move forward.

- A story of codependent broken people held together by insanity. Same theme as Bug and Natural Born Killers, only duller.

Gone Girl (2014)
Nick’s wife disappears on their fifth anniversary. A sudden media storm and overwhelming circumstantial evidence turns the world against him.

- Really good. Not so much for the crime, that was rather obvious. The sheer bitterness of one character, and the dialogue of another (actually fits the words of real life people) is realistic.
It’s an interesting view on marriage, media hysteria, crowd stupidity, etc. 

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=17348533]

Almost done. Bedtime2
 - A. Ra
  • Alan V, Bcat

No movies for me for a while. I'm re-watching the Sherlock Holmes BBC series starring Jeremy Brett.  Smile
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Alan V, M.Linoge, Marozz

(08-30-2020, 06:43 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: ... I'm re-watching the Sherlock Holmes BBC series starring Jeremy Brett ...

THAT is a superb series.  Not enough episodes by a factor of, oh, 900.  Like The Sandbaggers series - all too brief (in the Sandbaggers case the author disappeared, presumed dead in a plane crash but nobody knows for sure).

The episode guest-starring Natasha Richardson is heart-breaking because we know what happened to her, even if the episode itself ends happily.
The following 1 user Likes airportkid's post:
  • Gwaithmir

Mothra.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Dānu

Jack Irish – Bad Debts (2012)
Jack, a former lawyer making living as a debt collector, after a madman connected to his work murders his wife.
A former client is shot by a cop after leaving Jack several messages on his phone, complicating matters for him; forcing him to face the world again.

- Not as good as most American or British detective shows, imo.

Jack Irish – Black Tide (2012)
An old friend of Jack’s father shows up for some lawyer work. Seeing the man is in trouble, and his son is missing, Jack decides to help, not knowing he’s stepping into another conspiracy.

- Can't believe they used the same music in X-Men Apocalypse as in this one. 

Jack Irish – Dead Point (2014)
Jack is hired by a judge, his father in law, who is blackmailed with photographs of him in sex clubs. As usual, it leads to a deeper rabbit hole.

- More of a drama than crime show. The recurring character at the horse race track and the bar adds a little something but they do not progress, even after three movies. 
Not bad, just slower than I'm used to.
 - A. Ra

(08-30-2020, 10:40 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Mothra.

Or "Godzilla vs. The Thing"?
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

The Big G did not make an appearance in this one.  Must have been on vacation.

This one did seem to start the annoying practice of putting fucking kids into the films, though.

Kids ruin everything.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Little Lunch

Yeah, "Mothra" was 1961 and "Godzilla vs. The Thing" was 1964.

(08-30-2020, 08:55 PM)airportkid Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 06:43 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: ... I'm re-watching the Sherlock Holmes BBC series starring Jeremy Brett ...

THAT is a superb series.  Not enough episodes by a factor of, oh, 900.  Like The Sandbaggers series - all too brief (in the Sandbaggers case the author disappeared, presumed dead in a plane crash but nobody knows for sure).

The episode guest-starring Natasha Richardson is heart-breaking because we know what happened to her, even if the episode itself ends happily.

By coincidence, I watched that episode (The Copper Beeches) Sunday evening. I too thought of her tragic death. She was only about 45. Someone told me that her husband, Liam Neeson, had been so overwrought by her death that he had to keep on working so as not to go crazy.  Sad

They Live

Plot:
A drifter [Played by Wrestling own Rowdy Roddy Piper] comes into a city where something is going down. He find a pair of specially made sun glasses that uncover the huge secret hiding in plain sight.

Thoughts:
OK, up top, this hasn't aged well - however, if you can suspend your disbelief to just enjoy a schlocky movie, then its a bit of crazy fun. It's a John Carpenter movie, so it'll depend on what you like/don't, but it's fairly good. My favourite part is the subliminal messaging hidden in plain sight also. Piper is "good" in the lead role, not oscar winning material and he could have more to say and do, but otherwise he does a decent job. Plus, he's in a crazy 5 minute+ fist fight scene, and it's both crazy and amazing all in one go.

Like a bit of cheesey horror with some minor interesting parts? Then check this out.
The following 2 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Bcat, Finite Monkeys

I Spit on Your Grave 3 – Vengeance Is Mine (2015)
After carving up her abusers, Jennifer changes her name and moves/hides in LA. She frequents a therapy group for rape victims, where she keeps hearing stories that really doesn’t help her mental state. When one of the members gets killed by her ex, Jennifer snaps.

- A direct sequel to the first. If you are expecting mad man-mutilation, it has that. Unfortunately it hits the point where vengeance gives way to indiscriminate manhating.

The Doom Generation (1995)
Two deeply damaged teen junkies meet a pretty psychopath. Circumstances throw them together for the night, and something else holds them together for a journey without destination or purpose.

- Trippy. It has a dreamlike quality. The symbolism and the parade of lunatics makes you think you’re inside the head of the teen outcast archetypes; the dangerous one, the apathetic one and the existentialist pothead.
An oversexed black comedy with extra vulgarities and bad language for shock effect. I’m surprised Rose McGowan showed this much skin. I guess it wouldn’t be the same without that.

Lost Time (2014)
After hearing that her cancer has spread beyond recovery, Valerie experience lost time while being driven home by her sister, whom disappears.
By her next appointment the doctor is flabbergasted. They cancer is gone.
Looking for answers, Valerie seeks out a UFO “expert” who has assembled others with physical modifications.

- Garbage. 

Midnight Chronicles (2010)
The dark god Izrador was banished from the Heavens to the wastes of the Earth. His fall closed the connection between mortals and Heaven, separating gods from creation. 
Izrador use evil creatures to conquer the world, opposed by the elves leading the free races for a time. One hundred years after The Shadow fell, his priests, Legates, rule the world. But there is a prophecy of a savior.  

- Based on a roleplaying game. As all such, there is only so far it can go, especially with a low budget. Only for the hard core fanatsy fan who liked the Dungeaons & Dragons movies. 
Incomplete. I think they were hoping for a sequel.

Python (2000)
A military cargo plane crashes and the cargo slithers away towards town.
The military wants to keep it secret so the townsfolk have overcome their personal grievances to defend themselves.

- Pretty good for an indie giant monster flick

A Crack in the Floor (2001)
Jeremiah, a boy raised by religious fanatics in a remote cabin; until his father dies and his mother is raped and murdered in front of him by outsiders.
33 years later, a group of unfortunate hippie hikers wander past a seemingly empty cabin. They decide to stay the night, without checking the basement.

- Meh. Standard slasher. 

MindFlesh (2008)
And the creepiest title award goes tooooo….
Chris is a taxi driver with a traumatic past. His trauma is breaching the walls between dimensions, causing strange symmetrical growths on his stomach and his own mind manifests as a naked woman who keeps having sex with him. If it continues, the interdimensional police will kill his friends and create a Hell for him. 

- Yep. This is the bottom the of the barrel. 

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=14683567]
 - A. Ra
  • Bcat, KittyAnn

Venom

Plot:
A group symbiotic organisms are brought to earth from a returning space mission. The company involved is a bit dodgy, and an investigative journalist breaks into their facility to check out a series of reports of missing homeless people linked to the company - he soon finds out they are running tests with the organisms and becomes the unwilling host to one of them.

Thoughts:
Bit of backstory here as this is sort of complicated to explain - This is superhero movie, based on the spider-man villain "Venom". Due to various deals that went down in the 90's/00's, Sony own the movie rights to make Spider-man movies [including his respective related characters] as Marvel sold off the rights to this and X-men [To Fox, which Disney now own......so Marvel have those back], this resulted in Sam Rami's Spider-Man 1-3 and The Amazing Spider-man 1+2 [Plus Into the Spider-verse, which is awesome]. 

Marvel themselves later went into the movie field, creating Marvel Studios and the Marvel Cinematic Universe. With Sony's side of things not really being very good, for various different reasons [commercially/critically etc] they cut a deal with Marvel Studios to basically "rent" spider-man back out to Marvel, so he could be in the MCU. As of writing this was a Sony production with no direct link to the MCU at all, so no spider-man involvement - which is odd because his whole origin and "point" of being Venom is based off of first bonding with Spider-man and then later it's main host [and protagonist of this movie] Eddie Brock - The character later becomes a bit of an Anti-Hero finding minor redemption etc etc. (A side note: I say that this movie is currently not linked to the MCU.....because there are talks of them folding this in, sort of, including various other Sony movies/owned characters including the upcoming Morbius the living Vampire movie with Jared Leto...........again it's complicated. There are talks of it being just directly linked in, and also suggestions of "it takes place in the MCU, but MCU will never acknowledge it" sort of thing).

That being said this does verge on being pretty good, although is mostly "fine". Some parts of it are very good/creative, while the latter section gets a bit "generic pre-MCU superhero movie" for me plus there are some gaps in the characters logic at times- but overall is "good". Special effects are solid and Tom Hardy is pretty decent as well, as he normally is in any movie I've seen him in to be fair. A second one is one the way, so prepare for that regardless, but it's maybe worth a watch if you have the chance and like a bit of this sort of thing. For people in the UK/with a VPN, this is on Netflix here ........ so even better if it's essentially free.
The following 3 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Dānu, M.Linoge, Bcat

"Pussy".
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • OakTree500

The Unwanted (2014)
Carmilla, a grow woman, searches for her mother. The clues lead her to a small town with an address. The people living there say they have never heard of Millarca. They are lying, but the secrets won’t stay buried for long.

- A poor plot badly done.  

Mammoth (2006)
A frozen mammoth is hit by a flaming object from the sky, containing a parasitic lifeform that inhabits the mammoth; reviving it. Now a scientist, his daughter and a few government goons have to stop a giant life-sucking monster with stealth capabilities before the military drops the bomb.

- Well… Confused  

The Last Survivors (2014)
In the future, drought has ended civilization. Dwindling survivors with wells and scavengers are barely staying alive. The story is centered around two teen orphans, living at what used to be a farm in a valley, hiding themselves and their source of water.
Things are deteriorating. Most of the wells are drying up, or being drained by someone. The prominent gang is extending its influence. A sequence of events that won’t leave many alive for long.

- Nicely done. They got the right actors and the right crew to make this lowbudget work.

Outlaws and Angels (2016)
After a bank robbery with innocent and government casualties, the gang has an 8.000$ bounty on itself. On the run, they stop for food and horses at a farmhouse, taking the residents hostage. An unusual family.

- A different kind of western. Different is good.

Rosewood Lane (2011)
A woman hosting her own radio show returns to her hometown a year after her father’s murder.
The extremely creepy paperboy(man) stalks her and breaks into her house. The neighborhood is terrified of him; too terrified to call the cops on him, for some reason.

- Good boogeyman flick. Flawed, but good.

Anonym identitet (ID:A) (2011)
A woman wakes up in a shallow river close to Vernet-les-Bains with a head injury and amnesia, holding a bag full of money and a gun. Next morning the news say a politician has been shot in the area.
Through some basic detective work, she finds herself in Denmark, suddenly surrounded by people who knew the person she was. But who can she trust? Who were the men chasing her in France? 

- Mystery and murder. Not bad. 

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=17804691]
 - A. Ra
The following 1 user Likes M.Linoge's post:
  • Bcat

[Image: Captain-Marvel.jpg]

Captain Marvel.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • KittyAnn

Get Santa (2014)
Santa crashes his new sleigh and end up in London; meeting Tom, the son of a newly released get-away driver, Steve. Later Santa is captured when trying to free his reindeer and thrown into prison.
Being a true believer, Tom drags his father on a hunt for Dasher and the missing sleigh to save Christmas.

- Funnier than I expected. A Christmas movie adults can enjoy. 

Stalking Santa (2006)
Dr. Lloyd Darrow. A man out to prove Santa exists.          

- The depressiest Christmas theme movie I have ever seen.
A really sad documentary of a man and his weird friend recording mall Santas, stalking immortal(?) elfs “pretending to be ordinary midgets”, pursuing all the conspiracy theories from men in black to crop circles to area 51 and how they relate to Santa; while his wife works and takes care of the kids.

The English Teacher (2013)
Linda, a teacher, a spinster, a sensitive bookworm leading the simple quiet life of an unfulfilled romantic. When one of her former students show up, having failed to produce a play, she decides to help. Can a mismatched crew of deeply immature youths and teachers put on a successful play? Seems unlikely.

- More drama than comedy or romance.

Sex Tape (2014)
After ten years and two children, a married couple are struggling to maintain the spark. During an attempt to recapture it, they make a semi-educational sex tape. Being old, they manage to put it in the cloud connected to the iPads of all their closets friends, family and a few coworkers. (This is how the machines will cripple us before Skynet starts pumping out terminators).
The race is on. They have to get back the iPads or face utter humiliation.

- Perfect. If there could be a better cast than Cameron Diaz and Jason Segel for this, I can’t think of it.

Witching & Bitching (2013)
Jewel robbers make a dash for the French border through back roads and has to pass through Zugarramurdi, a village rumored to be a place where witches have sabbaths. Worse, the lead robbers wife is following them, furious that her ex involved their son in the crime.

- Horror comedy. Absolutely insane. Hilarious. All the men have serious issues with women, in a doormat kind of way. Nowhere near as gory but it reminded me of Braindead

Ted 2 (2015)
Ted, the supernaturally living teddy bear, is getting married, to a human woman. After a life of drugs and perversion, married life is a challenge. Made harder by the government classifying him is property, revoking all his civil rights.

- Very funny. Funnier than It should be. A lot of detail work. They even got the crew from SNL to do a fake skit, and they casually insulted Fox News so  Thumbs Up  
Never has the Jurassic Park theme music been so misused. Chuckle

Babysitting (2014)
Franck. On his 30 year birthday, his arrogant boss drops overnight babysitter duty on him. The only one less thrilled is the spoiled angry boy in question.
The next morning the mansion is trashed and both of them are missing. The police find a tape, showing a chaotic night of cops, carnivals and camels.

- A well made French comedy. Felt a little like The Hangover

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=17704621]
 - A. Ra

Watched "Greyhound" again.