Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What movie did you last see?

(04-23-2020, 01:37 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: [Image: Enemybelowposter.jpg]
Thumbs Up

Sweet!

Just watch those depth charge racks or you won't be able to count to six.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Gwaithmir

A deeply depressive environmental documentary.
"The advantage of faith over reason, is that reason requires understanding. Which usually requires education; resources of time and money. 
Religion needs none of that. - It empowers the lowliest idiot to pretend that he is wiser than the wise, ignoring all the indications otherwise "
 - A. Ra
The following 1 user Likes M.Linoge's post:
  • Alan V

IT part 2. Took a couple nights, it's unnecessarily long. After awhile it became less "scary" movie and more "action adventure" movie, or worse, "Summer blockbuster action adventure!" movie. The last thirty minutes or so was like watching one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies- fun to watch the special effects, but not worth investing much attention in because at a frantic pace Important Things Keep Happening!!! But cool special effects and some creepy shit here and there.
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • M.Linoge

Just watched John Wick 3. Now watching John Wick 4, in my head. The lead to the Dark Side is just a big flag being waved.

[Image: National-Treasure-2-1568x882.jpg]

National Treasure 2

I think I'm about an hour into this one. I'm watching it in 30 minute gulps. Watching a movie from beginning to end in one sitting tends to be the exception for me.

[Image: 19sp-TOPGUN-INYT1-superJumbo.jpg]

The Goose and Maverick Funtime Hour
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

(04-29-2020, 03:36 PM)Dānu Wrote: [Image: National-Treasure-2-1568x882.jpg]

National Treasure 2

I think I'm about an hour into this one.  I'm watching it in 30 minute gulps.  Watching a movie from beginning to end in one sitting tends to be the exception for me.

[Image: 19sp-TOPGUN-INYT1-superJumbo.jpg]

The Goose and Maverick Funtime Hour

Nicolas Cage .......  barf, barf, barf.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

"Somebody has to go to prison!"

"I have an idea about that."

Bad movie. Sean Bean doesn't die.

[Image: The_Loyal_47_Ronin_poster.jpg]
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

(04-30-2020, 12:46 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: [Image: The_Loyal_47_Ronin_poster.jpg]

Sooooooo, is it very good?
                                                         T4618

[Image: nbcu-04102-Full-Image_GalleryBackground-...X1080_.jpg]

Atomic Blonde.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

Starting from Friday just gone, watching one a day until yesterday [Sunday] myself and Mrs. Oaktree watched the Lord of The Rings : Extended Editions.

I've really grown to love LOTR over the years - when it was released in the cinema, I went to watch them all yet wasn't hugely bothered. Back then as well I wasn't really big into reading so had never read any of the Tolkien books either.

My wife is a huge fan of these, so I've had chance to re-watch them a few times, but this has bee the first time since I was in the cinema to really take the time to sit down and properly watch them, and with them being the extended versions, to try and see everything that was filmed/the entire story where possible.

All in all - they are fantastic. Really well made, a healthy mix of CGI and models/practical effects, spot-on acting and of course the story is great. It's taken me a while but I've really come to appreciated the LOTR movies for great stories and for genuinely well made films

I do have the books, and have since read The Hobbit as well, so once I'm able to do so I'll get to reading the classics themselves Smile
The following 3 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Filox, Gwaithmir, Dānu

Yeah. LOTR and Harry Potter, the two epic movie series of the day.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Filox

(05-04-2020, 07:16 AM)OakTree500 Wrote: Starting from Friday just gone, watching one a day until yesterday [Sunday] myself and Mrs. Oaktree watched the Lord of The Rings : Extended Editions.

I've really grown to love LOTR over the years - when it was released in the cinema, I went to watch them all yet wasn't hugely bothered. Back then as well I wasn't really big into reading so had never read any of the Tolkien books either.

My wife is a huge fan of these, so I've had chance to re-watch them a few times, but this has bee the first time since I was  in the cinema to really take the time to sit down and properly watch them, and with them being the extended versions, to try and see everything that was filmed/the entire story where possible.

All in all - they are fantastic. Really well made, a healthy mix of CGI and models/practical effects, spot-on acting and of course the story is great. It's taken me a while but I've really come to appreciated the LOTR movies for great stories and for genuinely well made films

I do have the books, and have since read The Hobbit as well, so once I'm able to do so I'll get to reading the classics themselves Smile

If we take into account the actors and their acting, the costumes, the story, the effects, this just might be the best movie ever made. For me, definitely in the top 5 or 10 movies. If we, as a species, had to choose one movie to rule them all, I wouldn't have anything against LOTR taking that position. Absolute masterpiece.
Live long and prosper!
The following 1 user Likes Filox's post:
  • OakTree500

(05-04-2020, 07:16 AM)OakTree500 Wrote: Starting from Friday just gone, watching one a day until yesterday [Sunday] myself and Mrs. Oaktree watched the Lord of The Rings : Extended Editions.

My wife is a huge fan of these, so I've had chance to re-watch them a few times, but this has bee the first time since I was  in the cinema to really take the time to sit down and properly watch them, and with them being the extended versions, to try and see everything that was filmed/the entire story where possible.

I probably watch the extended versions of the trilogy three times annually.  Popcorn
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • OakTree500, Gawdzilla Sama

Now that's a shocker.

(05-04-2020, 12:32 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: I probably watch the extended versions of the trilogy three times annually.  Popcorn

I don't watch them that often, but I would challenge you to see who knows more dialogue, once the movie starts.     Big Grin

The world has changed...
I feel it in the water...
I feel it in the earth...
I smell it in the air...

This shit gets me every time. Plus, don't know about you, but I have a great stereo system with big speakers. This is the only movie that goes to 11 and I don't care about my neighbors. My ears bleed a little when the Witch King comes on his Nazgul, you know, the scene at Minas Morgul. Fuckin A!
Live long and prosper!
The following 2 users Like Filox's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, Gwaithmir

Dark Breed (1996)
Six astronauts break quarantine in space, returning to earth infected with alien parasites. The Omega agency sends special forces Captain Saxxon to hunt and stop the hosts before they mature, and spread the infection.

- B-movie.

Vivarium (2019)
A couple are lured into and trapped within a small pocket universe with a creepily green suburban neighborhood, raising a creature that has the appearance of a child; trying to maintain their dwindling sanity. 

A Perfect Day (2015)
A group of aid-workers try to save a well from contamination by a fat corpse. Which is a bit of challenge in a deescalating war-zone with armed uncooperative civilians, mines and bureaucracy. 

- Funny.

The Professor (2018)  Heart
A college teacher is diagnosed with unrepeatable cancer.  Given six months to live, he embraces dark humor, drugs, alcohol, whim and honesty. 

- Fantastic. Johnny Depp is perfect for this role. 

10 Minutes Gone (2019)
At the end of a bank heist he planned, Frank is struck from behind, waking up alone with his brothers' corpse. Knowing he was betrayed by someone on the team, he hunts them down. 

The Words (2012)
A story about a famous author publishing a book about an aspiring author, whom after many failures stumbles upon an old masterpiece and ends up putting his name on it.
A choice that changes his life. 

[Image: giphy.gif]
"The advantage of faith over reason, is that reason requires understanding. Which usually requires education; resources of time and money. 
Religion needs none of that. - It empowers the lowliest idiot to pretend that he is wiser than the wise, ignoring all the indications otherwise "
 - A. Ra
The following 3 users Like M.Linoge's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, Phaedrus, Bcat

Star Wars : Rise of Skywalker

Plot:
Following on from episodes 7 and 8, it all comes to a conclusion! [Maybe, until Disney want more money.]

Thoughts:
I enjoyed it - The movie was still lacking in certain areas, although that for me at least comes down to having to essentially retcon what happened in the last movie, giving us less time to move forward/trying to introduce a new "big bad" after 2 movies of building up another/without any hint that this one was coming.

Even then, to me it "felt" like a star wars movie. Which is honestly all I want out of these films. Love the original trilogy [Obviously], have fond memories of the prequels despite them being a tad pants [episode 3 though, yes], loved Rogue One, thought Solo was "OK" [at least better than I thought it would be] and now enjoyed the most of this new trilogy.

Overall it attempts to wrap everything up, and does an "alright" job of it considering the place it essentially starts from.

It's on Disney+ now for those who havent seen it, so get on board and check it out Smile

(05-04-2020, 03:24 PM)M.Linoge Wrote: Vivarium (2019)
A couple are lured into and trapped within a small pocket universe with a creepily green suburban neighborhood, raising a creature that has the appearance of a child; trying to maintain their dwindling sanity. 

No words about that one?

(05-05-2020, 02:06 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:

No words about that one?

Show ContentSpoiler:
 - A. Ra
The following 2 users Like M.Linoge's post:
  • Phaedrus, Bcat

(05-05-2020, 03:28 PM)M.Linoge Wrote:
(05-05-2020, 02:06 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:

No words about that one?

Show ContentSpoiler:

That's why I do internet searches for the meanings behind movies, to have them explained to me when I don't understand them. hehe

[Image: Green_Book_%282018_poster%29.png]
The following 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • M.Linoge, pocaracas, Bcat

The Lodge

Quote:A soon-to-be stepmom is snowed in with her fiancé's two children at a remote holiday village. Just as relations begin to thaw between the trio, some strange and frightening events take place.
The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • M.Linoge

[Image: When_Eight_Bells_Toll.jpg]

Watching "Endgame" for a specific reason.