Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What movie did you last see?

Country Music, Ken Burns
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

"Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle". Priming for the next movie, due on Dec. 13th IIRC. We loved this movie and I hope they keep the vibe for the sequel.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • M.Linoge

(12-01-2019, 04:41 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Whollyweird has no reason to be historically accurate. It just slows down the action. We'll never see a movie where the Kree attack Pearl Harbor, it just wouldn't work at the box office.

Wait a minute there, Gawd.  The Kree attacking Pearl Harbor, hummmm Consider  I think it might work.  So what if it's not historiclly correct, who cares.  

Geeze, you people sure do watch a lot of movies.  Where do you find the time to see all these movies?
                                                         T4618

(12-04-2019, 11:13 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(12-01-2019, 04:41 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Whollyweird has no reason to be historically accurate. It just slows down the action. We'll never see a movie where the Kree attack Pearl Harbor, it just wouldn't work at the box office.

Wait a minute there, Gawd.  The Kree attacking Pearl Harbor, hummmm Consider  I think it might work.  So what if it's not historiclly correct, who cares.  

Geeze, you people sure do watch a lot of movies.  Where do you find the time to see all these movies?

Movies is how I rest. Eventually there comes a day when all the work and chores are done; then I binge.
"The advantage of faith over reason, is that reason requires understanding. Which usually requires education; resources of time and money. 
Religion needs none of that. - It empowers the lowliest idiot to pretend that he is wiser than the wise, ignoring all the indications otherwise "
 - A. Ra
The following 1 user Likes M.Linoge's post:
  • Dancefortwo

I retired in 1989.

Some people watch a lot of movies. I've seen two this year, which is a record high. Robin Hood and Ford Vs Ferrari. I have way too many other interests to watch movies too much. For instance, I'm currently waiting for the glue to dry on a fixture I made to use to hold wood while I carve it, called a "bench hook". I catch some news off the TV, but usually it's online.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 2 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Dānu

(12-05-2019, 12:37 AM)Fireball Wrote:

Some people watch a lot of movies. I've seen two this year, which is a record high. Robin Hood and Ford Vs Ferrari. I have way too many other interests to watch movies too much. For instance, I'm currently waiting for the glue to dry on a fixture I made to use to hold wood while I carve it, called a "bench hook". I catch some news off the TV, but usually it's online.

I used dumbbells for bench pucks.

[Image: 268x0w.jpg]
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • M.Linoge, OakTree500

The sequel is just as good, if not better. "Jack-Jack vs. the trash panda" was hysterical.
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • M.Linoge, Alan V

Anna and the Apocalypse (2017)
Anna, a highschool student in Australia can’t wait to get away. As the school prepares the Christmas celebration, the dead start to walk. 

Australian musical zombie apocalypse horror comedy; so rare it’s almost original. 

Live by Night (2016)
A small-time thief reluctantly gets involved with gangsters to get revenge on the man who killed the woman he loved.
A struggle that lands him in a position of power and enemies to match.
Will he be able to stay on top?

A decent gangster drama.

Why Him (2016)
An old-fashioned man visiting his college-age daughter, who is dating a 32-year-old man who made a fortune creating an app and live like a teenager in a mansion with videogames, an AI and a moose in a tank full of urine....

Funny. A relatively clean tortured-overprotective-dad-vs-nightmare-boyfriend, with some things I haven’t before.

The Irishman (2019)
As an old man Frank Sheeran reminisces about his time affiliated with the mob, keeping the confidence of powerful men in the shadows and public figures like  Jimmy Hoffa.  

A good gangster drama. Superb cast. Unlike the other it keeps a monotonous pace. No highs, no lows; just an interesting story.

Vacation (2015)
Rusty Griswold takes his wife and two children on a road trip to an amusement park. 

Hilarious. Some evil humor and more family friendly humor, not completely unlike the original Griswold family trips. 

Into The Looking Glass (2016)
Alice returns to the Wonderland to save her friend the hatter.

Not as good as the first one, unless you are deeply curious about the history of the characters before Alice showed up the first time. 

[Image: giphy.gif]
"The advantage of faith over reason, is that reason requires understanding. Which usually requires education; resources of time and money. 
Religion needs none of that. - It empowers the lowliest idiot to pretend that he is wiser than the wise, ignoring all the indications otherwise "
 - A. Ra
The following 1 user Likes M.Linoge's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

Ghost in the Shell was an okay action movie. The art direction was beautiful, and owed a lot to the original animated version.
The following 2 users Like Alan V's post:
  • M.Linoge, Gawdzilla Sama

Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Dānu

[Image: ralph-spaccatutto-2-breaks-the-internet-...disney.jpg]

Wreck-It Ralph

I've seen it before and enjoyed it. I just signed up for a 3 month trial of Starz on Amazon Prime Video for $1 a month, and am up early, so, I need something to watch.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • OakTree500, M.Linoge

(12-09-2019, 12:14 AM)brewerb Wrote:

Waves to Shelly.

(12-09-2019, 12:09 AM)Alan V Wrote: Ghost in the Shell was an okay action movie.  The art direction was beautiful, and owed a lot to the original animated version.

Well, it was a live action remake. The animaniacs are having fits about it, of course.
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • M.Linoge, Alan V

(12-10-2019, 11:02 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(12-09-2019, 12:09 AM)Alan V Wrote: Ghost in the Shell was an okay action movie.  The art direction was beautiful, and owed a lot to the original animated version.

Well, it was a live action remake. The animaniacs are having fits about it, of course.

Understandable. 
They kept the name and nothing of the plot, which makes everything look out of sync if you know the original. 

They should have called it Section 9, or something. 

And no, I don't think I qualify as a animaniac; I'm just a plot Nazi with a long memory  Tongue
 - A. Ra
The following 2 users Like M.Linoge's post:
  • Dānu, Chas

Nothing of the plot... Okayyyyy...

(12-10-2019, 11:44 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Nothing of the plot... Okayyyyy...

Well, they changed her, her backstory, the puppet master, the deep dive, made new enemies, etc.
Admittedly they did keep the camouflage tech, Batou's eyes, her diving in water and the tank-fight, so 'nothing' was an exaggeration.

(bows head in shame)
 - A. Ra

(12-10-2019, 12:17 PM)M.Linoge Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 11:44 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Nothing of the plot... Okayyyyy...

Well, they changed her, her backstory, the puppet master, the deep dive, made new enemies, etc.
Admittedly they did keep the camouflage tech, Batou's eyes, her diving in water and the tank-fight, so 'nothing' was an exaggeration.

(bows head in shame)

Minor changes. The original was a bit sloggy.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Alan V

(12-10-2019, 12:52 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 12:17 PM)M.Linoge Wrote: Well, they changed her, her backstory, the puppet master, the deep dive, made new enemies, etc.

(bows head in shame)

Minor changes. The original was a bit sloggy.

I preferred the movie to the animated version.  The animation was too talky and difficult to follow for me.  The movie preserved the best visuals and action sequences and put them in an order that made more sense, for my poor, aging brain.

I thought Johansson's performance was flat and the plot lacking. I don't think the animated version was perfect, but it had good things in it where the live version had very little.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • M.Linoge

[Image: Image_Resize_Detail_Image.asp?MiscImage=CEMAGICALSEA]

Disney's Fantasia

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • M.Linoge

(12-10-2019, 02:25 PM)Dānu Wrote: I thought Johansson's performance was flat and the plot lacking.  I don't think the animated version was perfect, but it had good things in it where the live version had very little.

What did you like in the animated version?

(12-10-2019, 03:17 PM)Dānu Wrote: [Image: Image_Resize_Detail_Image.asp?MiscImage=CEMAGICALSEA]

Disney's Fantasia

Have you seen Fantasia 2000?

(12-10-2019, 02:25 PM)Dānu Wrote: I thought Johansson's performance was flat and the plot lacking.  I don't think the animated version was perfect, but it had good things in it where the live version had very little.

Well, now that you mention it, neither of the versions had that great a story to tell IMO.  But I wasn't particularly interested in the story.  That kind of movie is good for action sequences, visual effects, and other eye-candy -- and I don't typically expect much more. 

Three out of five stars.

hobo