Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What movie did you last see?

(05-12-2019, 11:01 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Rewatched "Avengers: Six McGuffins" and "Captain Marvel" this weekend. Avengers was exhausting, Captain Marvel is going to have to fight whole planets to make things fair.

The first half of the movie honestly bored me, I was ready to give up on the movie.

(05-12-2019, 11:06 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:
(05-12-2019, 11:01 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Rewatched "Avengers: Six McGuffins" and "Captain Marvel" this weekend. Avengers was exhausting, Captain Marvel is going to have to fight whole planets to make things fair.

The first half of the movie honestly bored me, I was ready to give up on the movie.

I appreciated that they took the time to set up the pay off that thoroughly.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

[Image: Sabotage_%282014_film_poster%29.jpg]
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

What year is that from? Never heard of it.

(05-12-2019, 12:22 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: What year is that from? Never heard of it.

2014. I understand it didn't do very well at the box office. It was okay, but I would rate it only three stars out of five.
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • M.Linoge

(05-12-2019, 12:28 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:
(05-12-2019, 12:22 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: What year is that from? Never heard of it.

2014. I understand it didn't do very well at the box office. It was okay, but I would rate it only three stars out of five.

Arnold has gone "Old John Wayne" on us. Facepalm

Valhalla (1986)
Two human children taken as servants for an Æsir god in Valhalla, which sometimes includes going with him to squabble with the Jotun.
Silly, as a children's movie should be.
Having read the series as a child, it was nostalgic to watch. 

Level 16 (2018)
Young girls growing up in an underground bunker; isolated and monitored by cameras. Old movies and VHS recordings educates them in "feminine virtues", preparing them for adoption by loving families...
  Completing a level reflects a year of training. (Celebrating birthdays would be most unfeminine). At level 16, the adoptions are just around the corner. 
The first female virtue is obedience.

Adequate, I suppose.
The strength of this story is how plausible the disturbing details are.

Cypher (2002)
A man named Morgan Sullivan is recruited for corporate espionage. Why him? No clue. 

10 minutes into this awkward mess you'd be excused for suspecting this is the first draft of a child's attempt to write a science fiction spy drama.
By the end of it, you'll probably be ready to concede this may in fact the the second draft. 
Garbage.

Boys in the Trees (2016)
 Trick r Treat meets Goosebumps on this transformative Halloween night, when the line between reality and other worlds grows thin. 
 The plot centers around two former friends. One on the inside of a popular crowd, the other on the outside. Their encounters, the people related to them and the past will take you on a long journey that is sure to strike a cord with young people.

I wish I could have seen this one as a teenager. 
Besides special effects - that are at a crazy level these days - full marks on all counts.

The Prodigy (2019)
A serial killer dies at the same moment Sarah Blume delivers her son. Over the years the child displays remarkable intelligence; escalating into worrying behavior as he reaches the age of eight.

Child's Play meets The Good Son, basically. 
Excellent.

The Uncanny (1977)
A writer attempts to warn the world that cat's are plotting to take over by publishing stories of people who have died trying to hurt cats or take something from them. 
Fool! Their dominion is already absolute. All hail Bast!

The Wandering Earth (2019)
The sun has begun to expand. Besides the cataclysmic effects on Earth, within a century the whole planet will be swallowed. The only hope is to move the planet itself, using 10.000 giant propulsion engines.

The plot follows Hu Kou, the son of an astronaut working on the Navigation Platform Space Station, living in an underground city 17 years after takeoff with his grandfather and his dim-witted sister (if that sounds harsh, watch it) as Earth nears Jupiter for a necessary slingshot maneuver. Then, a violent tremor causes the propulsion engines fail. 
Disaster is imminent. 

You have to give it to the Chinese, they make deeply moving movies. 
I'm sure a scientist can find a lot of technical flaws here, but I enjoyed it. 
Especially the bit where the engineer prays to his... gods.
"The advantage of faith over reason, is that reason requires understanding. Which usually requires education; resources of time and money. 
Religion needs none of that. - It empowers the lowliest idiot to pretend that he is wiser than the wise, ignoring all the indications otherwise "
 - A. Ra
The following 1 user Likes M.Linoge's post:
  • KittyAnn

(05-07-2019, 10:49 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote: [Image: Stranger_Than_Fiction_%282006_movie_poster%29.jpg]

Will Ferrel portrays an IRS worker who begins hearing a disembodied voice narrating his life as it happens – seemingly the text of a novel in which it is stated that he, the main character, will soon die – and he frantically seeks to somehow prevent that ending. I bought this DVD about a decade ago and decided to watch it again. I'd forgotten most of it, so it was like watching a whole new film.

Oh, one of my most favorite movies Big Grin Heart
[Image: 320-C6-ED7-97-CD-4-AB2-A60-A-759-A45-FB7-FE8.jpg]
"The Thinking Atheist forum" “The Thinking Atheist forum closed down" “TTA Forum”
The following 1 user Likes Smercury44's post:
  • Gwaithmir

last time I watched: The Apostle (2018), Stepfather (2009), Hot Pursuit (2015)- for a long time, I didn't laugh that way Big Grin ..and Nancy Drew (2007) i would like to watch this new Nancy from this year ...
Elmyra- i'm gonna hug you and love you and squeeze you into itty bitty pieces...until you die!!!
The following 1 user Likes KittyAnn's post:
  • M.Linoge

A few watched this weekend:

Zodiac

Plot:
It's about the zodiac killer, and one man's obsession to find out who "he" is.

Thoughts:
I watched the directors cut, which is very long, but overall it was good. Good acting all round and otherwise a good story. I will have to look up the Zodiac stuff as I don't know a whole lot about it. Not as good as Seven or Fight Club, form the same director, but still pretty darn good!

Dune

Plot:
Waring houses, in the far flung future, battle to gain control of "spice" a material that is widely used across the universe. House Atreides are charged with moving to Arrakis to operate the Spice mining operation, but the motive behind them being sent there is a darker one indeed. On top of this, there is also one youngs man's journey into finding himself and potentially discovering  unlocking something greater within.

Thoughts:
Ok, I'll preface this by saying, I've read the book, and I LOVE it. This movie, is fairly accurate [from what I can recall about it] but in saying that, there is just something "off" about it. Lots of good actors involved, but for some reason everybody is over-acting to the Nth degree. Everybody has some sort of wierd inner monologue going at nearly all times, I presume to translate some things from the book that aren't said out loud, and if you haven't read the book the final third of the movie might get a bit "The bloody hell is going on now?". That being said, the budget looks to be very high, and it was very ambitious of the film makers to try and adapt something of this nature, without it being 10 hours long as well. It's essentially the best worst film ever made. I'd watch it again, but I'm not entirely sure why.

If Shai is hanging around here, I'd love to know his thoughts on this movie. [Plus if you do read this, I am aware the story has parallels to various creation myths, so I'd be interested in looking into that if you have any information on it.]

I understand the chap who did the recent Bladerunner 2049 is adapting Dune for the big screen, with a very good cast as well, so I look forward to seeing what he can do with it.
The following 1 user Likes OakTree500's post:
  • M.Linoge

(05-13-2019, 09:40 AM)OakTree500 Wrote: Dune

Plot:
Waring houses, in the far flung future, battle to gain control of "spice" a material that is widely used across the universe. House Atreides are charged with moving to Arrakis to operate the Spice mining operation, but the motive behind them being sent there is a darker one indeed. On top of this, there is also one youngs man's journey into finding himself and potentially discovering  unlocking something greater within.

Thoughts:
Ok, I'll preface this by saying, I've read the book, and I LOVE it. This movie, is fairly accurate [from what I can recall about it] but in saying that, there is just something "off" about it. Lots of good actors involved, but for some reason everybody is over-acting to the Nth degree. Everybody has some sort of wierd inner monologue going at nearly all times, I presume to translate some things from the book that aren't said out loud, and if you haven't read the book the final third of the movie might get a bit "The bloody hell is going on now?". That being said, the budget looks to be very high, and it was very ambitious of the film makers to try and adapt something of this nature, without it being 10 hours long as well. It's essentially the best worst film ever made. I'd watch it again, but I'm not entirely sure why.

If Shai is hanging around here, I'd love to know his thoughts on this movie. [Plus if you do read this, I am aware the story has parallels to various creation myths, so I'd be interested in looking into that if you have any information on it.]

I understand the chap who did the recent Bladerunner 2049 is adapting Dune for the big screen, with a very good cast as well, so I look forward to seeing what he can do with it.

Yeah... the Dune we got was a bit meh. Still not bad.

Have you heard of Jodorowsky's Dune?

Personally, I think it would have been a beautiful disaster... I mean... the guy flat out admits he didn't read the book! Tongue
The following 1 user Likes pocaracas's post:
  • OakTree500

I have NOT, so will check that out Smile

Wine Country

Quote:When a group of longtime girlfriends goes to Napa for the weekend to celebrate their friend's 50th birthday, tensions from the past boil over.

The Basement (2018)
A man finds himself in the basement of a deranged serial killer. 
The clock is running down. Can he penetrate the mans madness? Can he break free from his bonds? 
Tick, tock. 

A sub-par production in overall quality. Still, sometimes it's nice to take a break from the charming/intelligent/handsome Hollywood killers like Hannibal Lecter or Patrick Bateman and make a story about a freak and his basement. 
Recommended for fans of the genre.

Roman J. Israel, ESQ. (2017)
Roman is an indealistic defense lawyer and activist, probably on the spectrum. 
The plot revolves around his lnong struggle against the system and temptation. Calling it a 120 minute long moral sermon, wouldn't be much of an exageration.
Not my type of tale.

Anon (2018)
Humans have been augmented with a network of 1) surveillance cameras in their eyes 2) computer generated icons enabling them to access the network internally. 
Brain, internet, ID-card, credit-card, games, virtual reality simulations, door keys, remote surveillance and phone has become one. Memory is effectively eidetic. 
In law enforcement the job mainly consists of accessing (normally) restricted recordings on civilian feeds. 
Until, a murderer manages to hack the Mind's Eye streams and erase their own data  trail. 

Enter, Sal; a depressed yet competent high ranking cop. The chase is on. 

It reminds me of Oculus, except this is a complex sci-fi thriller with nudity and sex.
Very good (the movie, not the nudity. Not that it was bad... or good! Of course I wouldn't know how to rank that kind of... ) 
(cough) 
Next!

iBoy (2017 )
A boy named Tom interrupts a crime. While attempting to call the police on his stolen phone he is shot, parts of the phone ends up inside his skull and gives him the power to connect  with machines and process data like a computer.
The shooters get away.
A little different from being bit by radioactive animals, but the idea is the same. Tom even lives with his nan when he's not running around after dark, wearing an not-really inconspicuous face-cover, scaring bad guys.
Bit darker than others of the genre. It's weird seeing Arya Stark like a normal school girl. 

Not bad.

Lifepod (1993)
During a Christmas party on  spaceship a bomb goes off, sending the occupants fleeing for the life-pods. 
The pod we follow includes a diverse group of strangers, adrift in an old, dangerously under-maintenanced rust bucket for several days.
A reporter documents and monologues the spiraling events. 

Low budget, but I do love a good whu-dunnit story.

Skyscraper (2018)
The Rock works as a security consultant on a giant tower on China. The tower is set on fire and The Rock has to get to his family and stop the arsonists; getting a lot of creative uses for his prosthetic leg.
Good special effects and ... nothing else.

Circle (2015)
A very large group of strangers find themselves in a circle, in chamber, with advanced technology that executes anyone who moves from their spot, and whomever the members (anonymously) votes to die. 
Who do we kill first? Why? Tick, tock. It's a prejudice free for all. 

Very good.
I loved the obvious detail the players missed. 

Alien Warfare (2019)
A squabbling, joking  squad of Navy SEAL are sent to investigate the disappearance of personnel from a secret government lab. 
The scientists are dead, but something is alive there.

Low budget. Amateur actors. Lame jokes. 
Really bad. 

[Image: giphy.gif]
"The advantage of faith over reason, is that reason requires understanding. Which usually requires education; resources of time and money. 
Religion needs none of that. - It empowers the lowliest idiot to pretend that he is wiser than the wise, ignoring all the indications otherwise "
 - A. Ra
The following 1 user Likes M.Linoge's post:
  • Phaedrus

(05-18-2019, 12:52 AM)M.Linoge Wrote: Circle (2015)
A very large group of strangers find themselves in a circle, in chamber, with advanced technology that executes anyone who moves from their spot, and whomever the members (anonymously) votes to die. 
Who do we kill first? Why? Tick, tock. It's a prejudice free for all. 

Very good.
I loved the obvious detail the players missed

Hi ML.  I'm sure I would also love the obvious detail the players missed, but I seem to have missed it.  I also did not get the very end.  Maybe I was too tired.  Please put me out of my misery.
No gods necessary

Saw John Wick 3. Now waiting for John Wick 4. Just now heard the term "Wickverse". LOL
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • KittyAnn

Kelly's Heroes. Haven't seen it in a while, good movie. Fantastic cast.
The following 2 users Like no one's post:
  • Dānu, Marozz

(05-20-2019, 12:01 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Saw John Wick 3. Now waiting for John Wick 4. Just now heard the term "Wickverse". LOL

Never saw John Wick Sr. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Went to the drive-in with my younger daughter to see the stupid Pokemon movie (daughter #2 liked it, I read a book), "Avengers: Endgame" and "Captain Marvel" last night. Gotta love the drive-in. Three first run features, two people, $18.00.

Knowing that drive-ins can do double- and even triple-features of first run films with a single showing each day, charge less than half the concession prices, and still turn a profit gives lie to the exorbitant prices charged by the walk-in theaters. They claim "The studios take all our box-office." but what they should be admitting is "we have an exclusive product and a captive audience. Fuck you if you don't like it." I spent less money last night for three films plus concessions for two people than I did the last time I went to a walk-in, for a single film, by myself.

"Avengers" was fantastic, but really pissed me off. "Captain Marvel" was a let down, but that may be because the theater played them in reverse order.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Phaedrus

Pet Sematary

Quote:Dr. Louis Creed and his wife, Rachel, relocate from Boston to rural Maine with their two young children. The couple soon discover a mysterious burial ground hidden deep in the woods near their new home.

Us

Quote:A family's serene beach vacation turns to chaos when their doppelgängers appear and begin to terrorize them.

Glass

Quote:Security guard David Dunn uses his supernatural abilities to track Kevin Wendell Crumb, a disturbed man who has twenty-four personalities.

I was not aware that Split was the second in a trilogy when I watched it. I never saw the first movie Unbreakable.
The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • M.Linoge

The Last Boy

Quote:The world at an end, a dying mother sends her young son on a journey to the place that grants wishes. The Last Boy is a Sci-Fi, Fantasy drama inspired by the works of the 13th Century Sufi Mystic and Poet Rumi.
The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • M.Linoge

The notebook....really good story Smile awesome movie! ...about love....i love it!!
Elmyra- i'm gonna hug you and love you and squeeze you into itty bitty pieces...until you die!!!
The following 2 users Like KittyAnn's post:
  • pocaracas, M.Linoge

[Image: Galaxy_Quest_poster.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • pocaracas