Atheist Discussion
Songs you hear and must listen to. - Printable Version

+- Atheist Discussion (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Coffee House (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=104)
+--- Forum: Getting to Know You (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=148)
+--- Thread: Songs you hear and must listen to. (/showthread.php?tid=7506)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Songs you hear and must listen to. - brewerb - 05-11-2022

Most of the music I still hear while driving, on the radio. I've got a local 6 station shuffle and when not listening to our morning atheists, ToddNTyler, I constantly surf till I find one.

I'm old so a lot of what I like comes from before the 1990's. So, what do you always stop/select to listen to?

My first addition from this AM:

Whatchagot?

RE: Songs you hear and must listen to. - Thumpalumpacus - 05-11-2022

RE: Songs you hear and must listen to. - c172 - 05-11-2022

I don't really know. I listen to a lot of .org radio stations, regardless of marketing area. It could be free form community radio or it could be college radio. I tend to listen to a lot of indie and 80's alt-pop and milder alt-rock/punkish stuff. I'm not sure these days that I have any songs IU really need to stop and listen to, but back in 2003, my local alt-rock station kept playing an 80's song that I haven't heard since then, even though I think it was from a pretty well-known artist. I can remember 14 notes from the beginning (all keyboard), and twentytwo notes about mid- to late-song, probably synth, or synth plus violin.

It's one of those needles in haystacks that I've annoyed people with on here, and probably in another 10 years I'll remember after having given up. My brain just needs to relax somehow.

RE: Songs you hear and must listen to. - brewerb - 05-11-2022

(05-11-2022, 04:46 PM)c172 Wrote: I don't really know. I listen to a lot of .org radio stations, regardless of marketing area. It could be free form community radio or it could be college radio. I tend to listen to a lot of indie and 80's alt-pop and milder alt-rock/punkish stuff. I'm not sure these days that I have any songs IU really need to stop and listen to, but back in 2003, my local alt-rock station kept playing an 80's song that I haven't heard since then, even though I think it was from a pretty well-known artist. I can remember 14 notes from the beginning (all keyboard), and twentytwo notes about mid- to late-song, probably synth, or synth plus violin.

It's one of those needles in haystacks that I've annoyed people with on here, and probably in another 10 years I'll remember after having given up. My brain just needs to relax somehow.

You need to give a song. Don't make me get the HOSE. Chuckle

RE: Songs you hear and must listen to. - Fireball - 05-11-2022

RE: Songs you hear and must listen to. - Fireball - 05-11-2022

And then something a little softer, reminding me of a certain person from high school.

RE: Songs you hear and must listen to. - Thumpalumpacus - 05-11-2022

Here's one I've heard so many times but still love the vibe so much it must stay on for the duration. This shit rocks, but is bright and not dark:

RE: Songs you hear and must listen to. - c172 - 05-11-2022

I legit don't normally pause like that. I get too easily distracted.

But I have before. My two first favorite popular songs were:

and...

But I'd say I need to really not be doing anything at the moment in order to bother listening.

RE: Songs you hear and must listen to. - vulcanlogician - 05-11-2022

(05-11-2022, 04:28 PM)brewerb Wrote: I'm old so a lot of what I like comes from before the 1990's. So, what do you always stop/select to listen to?

The radio sucks for 90s music. They say "The best music from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and today."

But it's the best music from the 70s and 80s, sure. (Except Bob Seger sucks.) But when it comes to the 90s, they always play dumb shit like Limp Bizkit and . They should play RATM, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins but they don't. What about Bel Biv Devoe? It's not the best music from the 90s.

It's the best music from the 70's and 80's. But then mediocre music from the 90s.

-rant over-

RE: Songs you hear and must listen to. - brewerb - 05-12-2022

(05-11-2022, 10:23 PM)vulcanlogician Wrote: The radio sucks for 90s music. They say "The best music from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and today."

But it's the best music from the 70s and 80s, sure. (Except Bob Seger sucks.) But when it comes to the 90s, they always play dumb shit like Limp Bizkit and . They should play RATM, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins but they don't. What about Bel Biv Devoe? It's not the best music from the 90s.

It's the best music from the 70's and 80's. But then mediocre music from the 90s.

-rant over-

Here's one of the best from the 80's

....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWz9VN40nCA

Panic ROFL2 Dodgy Tongue

(sorry, had to give the site, couldn't bear to look at it in a link)

RE: Songs you hear and must listen to. - Phaedrus - 05-12-2022

RE: Songs you hear and must listen to. - skyking - 05-12-2022

RE: Songs you hear and must listen to. - Minimalist - 05-12-2022

But then.... I haven't commuted in quite a while!

RE: Songs you hear and must listen to. - TheGentlemanBastard - 05-12-2022

(05-11-2022, 10:23 PM)vulcanlogician Wrote: The radio sucks for 90s music. They say "The best music from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and today."

-rant over-

What they really mean is: "The best selling music from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and today."

RE: Songs you hear and must listen to. - Thumpalumpacus - 05-12-2022

Most of my "must listen" songs aren't played on the radio. That's a me problem.

RE: Songs you hear and must listen to. - Dānu - 05-12-2022

I tend to listen to AC/DC a lot. But I've got access to a ton of music and wander freely. Certain albums keep coming up. I like to listen to Dave Matthews' Under The Table And Dreaming when I need to relax.

RE: Songs you hear and must listen to. - brewerb - 05-12-2022

This mornings while out for coffee.

(05-12-2022, 12:39 PM)brewerb Wrote: This mornings while out for coffee.

Oh, I can turn the radio off for that one. Dexter Holland's voice sounds like my drill sergeant's efforts at "singing".

RE: Songs you hear and must listen to. - Dānu - 05-12-2022

(05-12-2022, 02:09 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Oh, I can turn the radio off for that one. Dexter Holland's voice sounds like my drill sergeant's efforts at "singing".

You don't like the Offspring. You don't like Bon Jovi. What is wrong with you? Tongue

(05-12-2022, 02:26 PM)Dānu Wrote: You don't like the Offspring.  You don't like Bon Jovi.  What is wrong with you?  Tongue

I'll say this, when I saw your post about AC/DC it warmed the cockles of my heart. I believe I'll turn up BiB and crank my amp later today. Smile

RE: Songs you hear and must listen to. - vulcanlogician - 05-13-2022

(05-12-2022, 02:49 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I'll say this, when I saw your post about AC/DC it warmed the cockles of my heart. I believe I'll turn up BiB and crank my amp later today. Smile

I fuckin' love AC/DC. They weren't trying to make timeless songs, but (somehow) their shit ended up being timeless. Same thing happened with Tom Petty.

RE: Songs you hear and must listen to. - Thumpalumpacus - 05-14-2022

(05-13-2022, 10:47 PM)vulcanlogician Wrote: I fuckin' love AC/DC. They weren't trying to make timeless songs, but (somehow) their shit ended up being timeless. Same thing happened with Tom Petty.

Yep. I hear more depth in Tom Petty, but all the same, who cares? You do it the way you do it and good luck.

I love AC/DC for the visceral grooves. I love Tom for his lyrical pictures painted onto a great musical background. I stopped trying to validate or invalidate songs and genres long ago, once my ears actually developed. I can love any song for any reason of my own.

I did fire up the amp and play yesterday, and there's little as satisfying as hitting about 80& of the solo in "Back in Black".

TL/DR: there's a place in rock for good bonehead kick-ass.

RE: Songs you hear and must listen to. - Dānu - 05-14-2022