Atheist Discussion
Happy Victory Day! - Printable Version

+- Atheist Discussion (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Coffee House (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=104)
+--- Forum: Announcements, Milestones, & Holidays (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=149)
+--- Thread: Happy Victory Day! (/showthread.php?tid=5242)

Pages: 1 2

Happy Victory Day! - Szuchow - 05-08-2020

Happy 75th anniversary of victory over fascism comrades.

[Image: 300px-Reichstag_flag_original.jpg]

Now is a good time to remind everyone that action should be taken, least another such picture will be needed (probably with different countries though).

RE: Happy Victory Day! - Deesse23 - 05-08-2020

Time for parades and rallies in every alllied capital, and the endsieg is ours
Muahaha Big Grin Winking

RE: Happy Victory Day! - Thumpalumpacus - 05-08-2020

[Image: meeting-of-us-and-soviet-forces-on-the-elbe-river.jpg]

RE: Happy Victory Day! - GenesisNemesis - 05-09-2020

IMO this day should be considered more important than Christmas. However I completely forgot until you just reminded me of it.

RE: Happy Victory Day! - GenesisNemesis - 05-09-2020

How about this, I'll make it a week-long celebration to make up for forgetting about it. Sounds good to me.

RE: Happy Victory Day! - Thumpalumpacus - 05-09-2020

Here's hoping it doesn't take another threat of that sort to pull a good majority of people together, again. Forewarned is forearmed.

RE: Happy Victory Day! - Phaedrus - 05-09-2020

The way it's thriving here in 'Murica, though......

RE: Happy Victory Day! - Thumpalumpacus - 05-09-2020

(05-09-2020, 01:02 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: The way it's thriving here in 'Murica, though......

Then I guess we ought to stone up.

RE: Happy Victory Day! - Szuchow - 05-09-2020

(05-09-2020, 12:43 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: IMO this day should be considered more important than Christmas. However I completely forgot until you just reminded me of it.

It's certainly a good day to remind oneself what kind of sacrifices were needed to defeat fascism when it was allowed to gain power.

(05-09-2020, 01:01 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Here's hoping it doesn't take another threat of that sort to pull a good majority of people together, again. Forewarned is forearmed.

Lessons of the past are being forgotten, warnings are rejected as unwarranted attacks or panic-mongering while fascism grows in strength. I don't have much hope for better future, on the other hand though I don't expect war, just countries that caught this particular bacillus growing more oppressive.

RE: Happy Victory Day! - skyking - 05-09-2020

I know not how to say it, but my father would want you to keep the hope alive, suchow.

(05-09-2020, 06:52 AM)skyking Wrote: I know not how to say it, but my father would want you to keep the hope alive, suchow.

Thanks for the sentiment behind this but I don't put much stock in hope.

RE: Happy Victory Day! - Gawdzilla Sama - 05-09-2020

(05-08-2020, 07:34 PM)Szuchow Wrote: Happy 75th anniversary of victory over fascism comrades.

Now is a good time to remind everyone that action should be taken, least another such picture will be needed (probably with different countries though).

As I understand it that picture was a recreation shot the day after the actual event. Photographers rarely lead the way.

RE: Happy Victory Day! - Chas - 05-09-2020

(05-08-2020, 07:34 PM)Szuchow Wrote: Happy 75th anniversary of victory over fascism comrades.

Whoop-de-fucking-do.  The triumph over one totalitarian regime that murdered millions by another totalitarian regime that murdered millions.  Dodgy

(05-09-2020, 01:32 PM)Chas Wrote:

Whoop-de-fucking-do.  The triumph over one totalitarian regime that murdered millions by another totalitarian regime that murdered millions.  Dodgy

Only one of these regimes thought up thing called Generalplan Ost not realized only due to defeat and incompetence leading to said defeat. Both regimes were guilty of genocide but Reich one only stopped cause it lost the war. 

Victory of one regime lead to world that wasn't pretty (especially for people in Eastern Europe and USSR itself) but victory of the second would lead only to the mass graves according to nazis own plans.

RE: Happy Victory Day! - Chas - 05-10-2020

(05-09-2020, 02:08 PM)Szuchow Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 01:32 PM)Chas Wrote:

Only one of these regimes thought up thing called Generalplan Ost not realized only due to defeat and incompetence leading to said defeat. Both regimes were guilty of genocide but Reich one only stopped cause it lost the war. 

Victory of one regime lead to world that wasn't pretty (especially for people in Eastern Europe and USSR itself) but victory of the second would lead only to the mass graves according to nazis own plans.

The Nazis would have run out of victims. The Soviets wouldn't as they were willing and able to kill even loyal citizens.

I'm not saying one was worse than the other - they were both evil regimes but the USSR had more years of killing.

RE: Happy Victory Day! - Szuchow - 05-10-2020

(05-10-2020, 05:56 AM)Chas Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 02:08 PM)Szuchow Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 01:32 PM)Chas Wrote: Whoop-de-fucking-do.  The triumph over one totalitarian regime that murdered millions by another totalitarian regime that murdered millions.  Dodgy

The Nazis would have run out of victims. The Soviets wouldn't as they were willing and able to kill even loyal citizens.

I'm not saying one was worse than the other - they were both evil regimes but the USSR had more years of killing.

Nazis too did not have problem with killing their own - Aktion T4 is proof enough of this. In hypothetical scenario where they won the war things might have been far bleaker. 

I'm saying that Nazis were worse - Generalplan Ost if realized would mean death of tens of millions. Soviets planned nothing on that scale and even their biggest crime - Holodomor - might not have been intentional*.

*Anne Applebaum Red Famine makes compelling case for Holodomor being genocide (which is a take I agree with) but it is not universally accepted theory.

RE: Happy Victory Day! - Thumpalumpacus - 05-10-2020

Both regimes were odious. At least we knocked out one in 45.

(05-10-2020, 01:41 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Both regimes were odious. At least we knocked out one in 45.

Yes, but as I said before only one of these regimes came up with ideas like Generalplan Ost. Just like only one came up and went through with Shoah.

RE: Happy Victory Day! - Deesse23 - 05-10-2020

(05-10-2020, 06:47 AM)Szuchow Wrote: Nazis too did not have problem with killing their own - Aktion T4 is proof enough of this.
I think chas was pointing to the killing of people just who were perfectly loyal to the regime, but were killed because
#1 Denunciation
#2 A certain number of "imperialist spies" HAD to be found and killed

The Stalin regime was based on terror, and power could only be upheld by having the population in constant terror of the regime and its organs.

The entire history of the NKWD until the end of WWII turns around arresting, torturing and mass murdering completely innocent people*, many of them being loyal citizens of the CCCP. Its leaders (Jagoda , Jeschow and Berija) were all just as despicable persons as any nazi criminal, arguably even worse in case of Berija for example, since he seemed to be even in private life something that can obly be described as an *animal*. He seemed to have loved raping and torturing just fo rhi spersonal satisfaction. Evidence was found in his house long after his demise. Jeschow was so *eager* in conducting the "big Terror" ordered by Stalin that he went too far and got killed. Yes he went too far with killing, even for Stalins taste.

I am not trying to apply the tu quoque fallacy, but the fact that the CCCP fought Nazi germany doesnt absolve this regime one bit from its responsibility for what it has done, nor does it absolve its supporters, internally and externally.

The big terror alone (until ca. 1938) killed russian citizens in excess of 1 million. Just the other day i saw a docu where an old woman told how she was arrested just for making a remark in public. She was arrested (8 monts pregnant or so), forced to abort, and then she disppeared in GULAG for some 10 years, for a fucking remark made in public. She wasnt even anti Stalin at that point. I am sure you know even more of those stories. Afaik it is still disputed who killed more russians, Adolf or Uncle Joe!

When you torture and kill people, systematically and indiscriminately to some point, does it matter if its 1 million or 6? Does it matter if the main focus are your own people (in Stalins case) or mainly people of countries you occupy?* Does it matter if you basically know they are innocent (big terror) or have some convoluted conviction that they bear some *guilt* (Hitler/Jews). When you not only arrest and kill people but whole families, just for being related to the innocents you just have killed, does it matter if you are Josef or Adolf? When you employ people who are clearly deranged as your willful accomplices, people that basically should be put behind bars themselves, does it matter if those deranged people are executing innocent in the basement of the Lubjanka or in some random lager? When you have guards watching over poor souls being worked to death, does it matter if this is beyond the polar circle for digging a useless canal (Jagoda) or in some random mine in Germany where V-weapons are build to win a war already lost? When you are literally purging your political opponents, or at least those you perceive to be, does it matter if its the "night of the long knifes" or some "Moscow trial"?

Where is the fundamental difference in those regimes? The only one i see is that one regime had a, sick and twisted, racial ideology that made them believe they had a right to do what they did. For everything else i only see gradual differences in the methods applied and the people hired to put those methods into practice.

Regarding "Generalplan Ost" i just want to remind that Stalin did not only have a plan, but put it into practice, to expand his oppressive regime (including puppet states) deep into central Europe, suppressing dissent whenever and wherever it may emerged, including moving the whole of Poland westwards, so former parts of Germany are now western Poland and parts of Poland are now Belarus.

*I think i dont have to tell you the various NKWD ordes given out to arrest and kill people. For example the one (1937 or 38) where people of german heritage are supposred to be arrested for being *spies* for Germany. Not post 1941, but in 1937!

**Being polish you know that Katyn was a soviet tempt at *decapitating* polands society and the red army watching the uprising of the Warsaw ghetto in 1944 from its VIP lounge, and doing absolutely nothing...for a reason

(05-10-2020, 02:55 PM)Deesse23 Wrote: I think chas was pointing to the killing of people just who were perfectly loyal to the regime, but were killed because
#1 Denunciation
#2 A certain number of "imperialist spies" HAD to be found and killed

Those who were killed in Reich cause they weren't perfect specimens of Aryan health also weren't opponents of the regime. Issue here is one of scale - in SU more people that were loyal (or at least not antagonistic) were killed. Reich preferred to kill foreigners, and it did not stop killing them even when loss was certainty.

Quote:The Stalin regime was based on terror, and power could only be upheld by having the population in constant terror of the regime and its organs.

Not entirely. There were genuine loyalty to new regime and some real improvements over tsarist regime.

Quote:The entire history of the NKWD until the end of WWII turns around arresting, torturing and mass murdering completely innocent people*, many of them being loyal citizens of the CCCP. Its leaders (Jagoda , Jeschow and Berija) were all just as despicable persons as any nazi criminal, arguably even worse in case of Berija for example, since he seemed to be even in private life something that can obly be described as an *animal*. He seemed to have loved raping and torturing just fo rhi spersonal satisfaction. Evidence was found in his house long after his demise. Jeschow was so *eager* in conducting the "big Terror" ordered by Stalin that he went too far and got killed. Yes he went too far with killing, even for Stalins taste.

If I recall correctly what I read in Stalin: Court of the Red Tsar Jezhov was eliminated for thinking himself too influential.

As for the rest, yes - NKVD and institutions it succeed were horrible. Nowhere I am disputing it.

Quote:I am not trying to apply the tu quoque fallacy, but the fact that the CCCP fought Nazi germany doesnt absolve this regime one bit from its responsibility for what it has done, nor does it absolve its supporters, internally and externally.

It does not. It also does not mean that both of these murderous regimes were on the same level.

Quote:The big terror alone (until ca. 1938) killed russian citizens in excess of 1 million. Just the other day i saw a docu where an old woman told how she was arrested just for making a remark in public. She was arrested (8 monts pregnant or so), forced to abort, and then she disppeared in GULAG for some 10 years, for a fucking remark made in public. She wasnt even anti Stalin at that point. I am sure you know even more of those stories. Afaik it is still disputed who killed more russians, Adolf or Uncle Joe!

Stalin regime while murderous was less so than it is commonly thought. Here is interesting article on the subject - https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2011/01/27/hitler-vs-stalin-who-was-worse/

Quote:When you torture and kill people, systematically and indiscriminately to some point, does it matter if its 1 million or 6? Does it matter if the main focus are your own people (in Stalins case) or mainly people of countries you occupy?* Does it matter if you basically know they are innocent (big terror) or have some convoluted conviction that they bear some *guilt* (Hitler/Jews). When you not only arrest and kill people but whole families, just for being related to the innocents you just have killed, does it matter if you are Josef or Adolf? When you employ people who are clearly deranged as your willful accomplices, people that basically should be put behind bars themselves, does it matter if those deranged people are executing innocent in the basement of the Lubjanka or in some random lager? When you have guards watching over poor souls being worked to death, does it matter if this is beyond the polar circle for digging a useless canal (Jagoda) or in some random mine in Germany where V-weapons are build to win a war already lost? When you are literally purging your political opponents, or at least those you perceive to be, does it matter if its the "night of the long knifes" or some "Moscow trial"?

It is distasteful but numbers do matter. Regime that killed 1 million is less horrible than one which killed 6 millions because of that precise difference in amount of suffering. 5 millions less victims means 5 millions less families grieving.

Also what is the point of this text? I know full well that USSR was horrible place to live, I know it was more murderous toward it own citizens than Reich was. Similarly however I know that it was not USSR which came with plan of eliminating of whole swathes of populations. My main point of contention is that only one of these regimes went to such extremes as Generalplan Ost. I do not write that Soviets were good but merely less bad.

Quote:Where is the fundamental difference in those regimes? The only one i see is that one regime had a, sick and twisted, racial ideology that made them believe they had a right to do what they did. For everything else i only see gradual differences in the methods applied and the people hired to put those methods into practice.

Fundamental difference is in this that only one of these regimes came up with something like Generalplan Ost. I'm well aware of SU crimes but I fail to see anything of similar scale of monstrousness on it's side.

Quote:Regarding "Generalplan Ost" i just want to remind that Stalin did not only have a plan, but put it into practice, to expand his oppressive regime (including puppet states) deep into central Europe, suppressing dissent whenever and wherever it may emerged, including moving the whole of Poland westwards, so former parts of Germany are now western Poland and parts of Poland are now Belarus.

Exactly my point. Oppressive regime and puppet states are far better results than Generalplan Ost envisioned. Enslaving population is horrible, no doubt, but far less than deciding that percentage of them have to die. What USSR did to Poland was far kinder fate that German planists wanted to do - no matter what you say about [url=Stalin he did not planned to kill 80% of Poles.

Quote:*I think i dont have to tell you the various NKWD ordes given out to arrest and kill people. For example the one (1937 or 38) where people of german heritage are supposred to be arrested for being *spies* for Germany. Not post 1941, but in 1937!

I suppose I don't have to remind you about the fact that ending in German camp or prison wasn't hardest thing to do, nor I have to say that Hitler wasn't kind uncle to opposition. 

Quote:**Being polish you know that Katyn was a soviet tempt at *decapitating* polands society and the red army watching the uprising of the Warsaw ghetto in 1944 from its VIP lounge, and doing absolutely nothing...for a reason

Being Polish I'm also aware of Intelligenz-Aktion. I also think that only fool would expect help from Red Army when uprising was conceptualized as political stance against USSR.

RE: Happy Victory Day! - Thumpalumpacus - 05-10-2020

(05-10-2020, 01:46 PM)Szuchow Wrote:
(05-10-2020, 01:41 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Both regimes were odious. At least we knocked out one in 45.

Yes, but as I said before only one of these regimes came up with ideas like Generalplan Ost. Just like only one came up and went through with Shoah.

On the other hand, one came up with the GULag to imprison dissentients. One had Article 58 in its Constitution, that it enforced with hard labor that was very often fatal. One killed around 20 million of its own citizens for political "crimes" in the course of its 75 years.

I think once you engage in mass terror, the actual body count doesn't matter. That the Germans had long-term plans, while the Soviets groped from one horror to another chasing Stalin's delusions, is not really the crux of the matter to me. The crux is that both regimes were willing to engage in mass murder in pursuit of their political aims. To my mind, they're morally equivalent.

(05-10-2020, 03:42 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

On the other hand, one came up with the GULag to imprison dissentients. One had Article 58 in its Constitution, that it enforced with hard labor that was very often fatal. One killed around 20 million of its own citizens for political "crimes" in the course of its 75 years.

GULag death toll it is lesser than previously thought. I don't have my books with me but as Wikipedia states: The tentative historical consensus is that, of the 18 million people who passed through the gulag system from 1930 to 1953, between 1.5 and 1.7 million died as a result of their incarceration.

Similarly numbers for entire time of SU existence may not be as high as previously thought.

Here is article you may find relevant - https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2011/01/27/hitler-vs-stalin-who-was-worse/

Quote:I think once you engage in mass terror, the actual body count doesn't matter. That the Germans had long-term plans, while the Soviets groped from one horror to another chasing Stalin's delusions, is not really the crux of the matter to me. The crux is that both regimes were willing to engage in mass murder in pursuit of their political aims. To my mind, they're morally equivalent.

For me crux of the matter is that only one of these regimes planned wholesale extermination, and regime that planned it did not have Joseph Stalin as leader. Both regimes were repugnant, no questions about this but as I said multiple times now - only one came up with Generalplan Ost. Soviets planned nothing on that scale.

RE: Happy Victory Day! - Deesse23 - 05-10-2020

(05-10-2020, 03:42 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

I think once you engage in mass terror, the actual body count doesn't matter. That the Germans had long-term plans, while the Soviets groped from one horror to another chasing Stalin's delusions, is not really the crux of the matter to me. The crux is that both regimes were willing to engage in mass murder in pursuit of their political aims. To my mind, they're morally equivalent.

My point exactly. The dilemma/dichotomy of "who was worse" ist pretty pointless imho.

RE: Happy Victory Day! - Cavebear - 05-11-2020

Wow, it sure changed from VE Day to nothing about it fast!

Not that I knew it was VE Day until the news mentioned it. But that's my failure to recall.