Atheist Discussion
Mesmerizing underwater blob - Printable Version

+- Atheist Discussion (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=89)
+--- Forum: Science, Engineering and Mathematics (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=100)
+--- Thread: Mesmerizing underwater blob (/showthread.php?tid=4242)

Mesmerizing underwater blob - Phaedrus - 10-27-2019

Huge, rare mass of squid eggs

[Image: eggblob_1024.gif]

Quote:A strange, undulating blob found in the waters of Ørstafjorden in Norway has turned out to be a rare sight: a giant mass of squid eggs.

The otherworldly ball, floating mysteriously in the darkness of the fjord, was discovered by captain Nils Baadnes and diver Ronald Raasch with the research vessel REV Ocean. It wasn't long before they learnt what it was.

"[It] is actually an eggmass of 10-armed #squid!" reads a tweet on the vessel's official Twitter account.

Quote:It's not known how squids produce these egg masses, but they are fascinating things: giant masses of mucus, sometimes metres across, inside which tens of thousands of eggs can be incubating. It's thought that the female lays a smaller mass that expands on contact with the water.

These masses are rarely seen by humans, because they tend to be laid relatively deep to start with. Then, they slowly sink lower and lower, to a depth of about 150 metres (500 feet), where the baby squids hatch, according to a National Geographic report.

RE: Mesmerizing underwater blob - brewerb - 10-27-2019

Misread the title.

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

RE: Mesmerizing underwater blob - Bucky Ball - 10-27-2019

Whatever a "Blekksprutgeleball" is, it sounds appropriate.

RE: Mesmerizing underwater blob - Phaedrus - 10-27-2019

(10-27-2019, 01:00 AM)brewerb Wrote: Miss read the title.

Initially, I accidentally misspelled it as "blog", but then I edited it.

RE: Mesmerizing underwater blob - brewerb - 10-27-2019

(10-27-2019, 01:03 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:
(10-27-2019, 01:00 AM)brewerb Wrote: Miss read the title.

Initially, I accidentally misspelled it as "blog", but then I edited it.

Miss???? I'm a spelling dork.

RE: Mesmerizing underwater blob - Dancefortwo - 10-27-2019

It looks like a giant penis floating around inside a bubble.   I'd like to see that squid egg...or whatever it's called...being born....or whatever happens when it comes to life.

RE: Mesmerizing underwater blob - Gawdzilla Sama - 10-27-2019

(10-27-2019, 02:50 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: It looks like a giant penis floating around inside a bubble.   I'd like to see that squid egg...or whatever it's called...being born....or whatever happens when it comes to life.

You'd see very, very many very, very, small blobs scattering like mad.

RE: Mesmerizing underwater blob - Dancefortwo - 10-27-2019

(10-27-2019, 02:55 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(10-27-2019, 02:50 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: It looks like a giant penis floating around inside a bubble.   I'd like to see that squid egg...or whatever it's called...being born....or whatever happens when it comes to life.

You'd see very, very many very, very, small blobs scattering like mad.

It looks like something from a sci-fi movie.  Wow, the animals in the ocean are like something you'd find in another galaxy.

If you can find the mini series "Alien Planet" you might enjoy it.

https://smile.amazon.com/Alien-Planet-Wayne-D-Barlowe/dp/B0009VRHLA/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2G91I60Z1OELN&keywords=alien+planet&qid=1572192956&sprefix=alien+planet%2Caps%2C140&sr=8-1

RE: Mesmerizing underwater blob - no one - 10-27-2019

Nice try Norway, I know a Xenomorph egg when I see one.

(10-27-2019, 04:57 PM)no one Wrote: Nice try Norway, I know a Xenomorph egg when I see one.
"Please don't put your eggs in me!"