Atheist Discussion
Oh Canada! - Printable Version

+- Atheist Discussion (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=89)
+--- Forum: World News, Politics and Current Events (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=102)
+--- Thread: Oh Canada! (/showthread.php?tid=4088)

Pages: 1 2

Oh Canada! - c172 - 09-26-2019

I know @RobbyPants is American but moved to Northern Ontario somewhere. I have relatives in Vancouver. We have a beloved poster in Winnipeg as well. Maybe some others of you live up there. I never did, but I grew up having weeaboo-level love for True North, strong and free. A ton of Nickelodeon programming that I liked came from Ottawa and Toronto. And a friend moved to San Diego from Dollard-des-Ormeaux, near MTL. He gave me issues of MacLean's. 

Real life has kind of gotten in the way of my awareness, but I do know Trudeau is still in this, and Jagmeet Singh has seemed pretty popular. 

But concerning Trudeau:

Wikipedia Wrote:On September 18, 2019, Time magazine published a photograph of Trudeau wearing brownface makeup in the spring of 2001.[315] The photograph, taken at an Arabian Nights-themed gala, showed Trudeau, wearing a turban and robes with his face, neck and hands completely darkened. The photograph from the 2000–2001 yearbook of the West Point Grey Academy, where Trudeau was a teacher was obtained by Time earlier in the month. Trudeau publicly apologized, agreeing the photo was racist and saying: “I shouldn’t have done that. I should have known better and I didn’t. I’m really sorry.” Trudeau also admitted to wearing blackface makeup in high school while singing "Day-O" at a talent show.[316] Global News published a video from the early 1990s showing Trudeau in blackface.[317]

Anybody have strong opinions relevant to the pending election? It's set for the 21st.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Canadian_federal_election#Background

RE: 43RD CANADIAN GENERAL ELECTION (2019) - OakTree500 - 09-26-2019

Hoping Canada don't descend into madness like the rest of the world.

That black face thing though........fuck a duck.

RE: 43RD CANADIAN GENERAL ELECTION (2019) - RobbyPants - 09-26-2019

(09-26-2019, 06:25 AM)c172 Wrote:
Wikipedia Wrote:On September 18, 2019, Time magazine published a photograph of Trudeau wearing brownface makeup in the spring of 2001.[315] The photograph, taken at an Arabian Nights-themed gala, showed Trudeau, wearing a turban and robes with his face, neck and hands completely darkened. The photograph from the 2000–2001 yearbook of the West Point Grey Academy, where Trudeau was a teacher was obtained by Time earlier in the month. Trudeau publicly apologized, agreeing the photo was racist and saying: “I shouldn’t have done that. I should have known better and I didn’t. I’m really sorry.” Trudeau also admitted to wearing blackface makeup in high school while singing "Day-O" at a talent show.[316] Global News published a video from the early 1990s showing Trudeau in blackface.[317]

Anybody have strong opinions relevant to the pending election? It's set for the 21st.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Canadian_federal_election#Background

I haven't been paying much attention since I can't vote until I'm a citizen. If we go that route, it will be another two years until I can. With American politics being so fucking crazy, I've been focusing on that. I'll have two years to see how the NDP plays out to see how I feel about the NDP and Liberals when I'm able to vote.

Regarding the blackface thing: Every time it comes out that a politician did this, it was always decades ago. If they're contrite and acknowledge what they did was wrong, I'm fine with moving on. There's a very big difference between someone appropriating another culture in a stupidly insensitive way and someone who is actively working to make the lives of minorities worse, and I will vote with such in mind.

RE: 43RD CANADIAN GENERAL ELECTION (2019) - RobbyPants - 09-26-2019

(09-26-2019, 08:57 AM)OakTree500 Wrote: Hoping Canada don't descend into madness like the rest of the world.

Oh, I fucking know. I'm hoping with them having 1/10 the population of the US that they'll just be a smaller target for Russia. I know that they've been targeted by the Russians, but not to the same magnitude or to the same effect.

I have no idea how true this is, but I've heard it described that Canada tends to learn from the US' mistakes. Here's hoping they aren't as susceptible to Russian bots on Twitter.

RE: 43RD CANADIAN GENERAL ELECTION (2019) - epronovost - 09-26-2019

In Quebec, Liberals have a comfortable lead in the polls with le Bloc Québécois in second position, a rather suprising thing considering the Bloc was considered pretty much dead after the last election. Now, the NDP is back into the limbo in Quebec after an Orange wave in 2011 and a still honorable performance in 2015. The Conservative currently rank third, but have gain a solid base in the Eastern part of the province close to Quebec City itself. We might also be the place where the Popular Party of Canada, a Trumpish party lead by disgraced minister and official idiot Maxime Bernier, makes its only gain. So far, a predict a minority government for the Conservatives.

RE: 43RD CANADIAN GENERAL ELECTION (2019) - Gawdzilla Sama - 09-26-2019

In the US we haven't elected generals since the Civil War.

(09-26-2019, 06:21 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: In the US we haven't elected generals since the Civil War.

Didn't you elect Eisenhower?

RE: 43RD CANADIAN GENERAL ELECTION (2019) - Gawdzilla Sama - 09-26-2019

(09-26-2019, 06:23 PM)epronovost Wrote:
(09-26-2019, 06:21 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: In the US we haven't elected generals since the Civil War.

Didn't you elect Eisenhower?

Retired. The companies elected their own officers in some cases during the early days of the ACW.

RE: 43RD CANADIAN GENERAL ELECTION (2019) - Minimalist - 09-26-2019

Does Canada have a strong minstrel show history like the US?

I never thought Canada was big on slavery and it was the terminus for the underground railroad.

And, what does it matter what someone did when they were young?  We all did stupid shit when we were young.

Don't get like the PC crowd down here.  They are their own worst enemy.

(09-26-2019, 06:41 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Does Canada have a strong minstrel show history like the US?

There were some in Western Canada but those minstrel shows targetted mostly the Chinese and Indian communities more then the black one. Many minstrel theatre groups from the US also performed in Canada. In the East, minstrel show proper was pretty much an unknown phenomenon (though the idea of blackface itself was used in disguises or early day movies).

RE: 43RD CANADIAN GENERAL ELECTION (2019) - c172 - 09-26-2019

(09-26-2019, 07:02 PM)epronovost Wrote:
(09-26-2019, 06:41 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Does Canada have a strong minstrel show history like the US?

There were some in Western Canada but those minstrel shows targetted mostly the Chinese and Indian communities more then the black one. Many minstrel theatre groups from the US also performed in Canada. In the East, minstrel show proper was pretty much an unknown phenomenon (though the idea of blackface itself was used in disguises or early day movies).

Ah, OK, hence my hearing "brownface" rather than the more familiar blackface.

RE: 43RD CANADIAN GENERAL ELECTION (2019) - Astreja - 09-26-2019

With the current political chaos, I think the best we can hope for is a minority government with a coalition of some sort. I live in a riding that is historically NDP, occasionally goes Liberal, never goes PC. Right now the NDP candidate seems to be the one to vote for, but I won't be upset if the Liberal gets in.

RE: 43RD CANADIAN GENERAL ELECTION (2019) - Cheerful Charlie - 09-26-2019

Errrrr... Uhm.... Eisenhower.  The last general that became president before that was Ulysses Grant.  William Tecumseh Sherman refused to run and if elected refused to serve.  Andrew Jackson before the civil war was a general and not a very admiral man or president.  Or something like that.

RE: 43RD CANADIAN GENERAL ELECTION (2019) - Paleophyte - 09-26-2019

I'm not a fan of any of them ATM:

Singh has sold his soul by backing Bill 21.
Trudeau seems incapable of avoiding scandal.
Scheer panders to the far right in a manner that blends the best of Harper and Trump.
May and the Greens are far too new, though I'd like to see them gain a few seats.
The less said about the BQ or Bernier the better.

I'd like to vote to re-establish the monarchy.

RE: 43RD CANADIAN GENERAL ELECTION (2019) - epronovost - 10-19-2019

Well, we are currently in the last weekend before the vote on Monday the 21st. Trudeau and Scheer are basically at 1% from one another with Trudeau believed to have a small, ridiculously small lead. Singh and the NPD have probably conducted the best campaign and have gained in popularity undercutting, Liberal and Green (and Bloc in Quebec) votes. Maxime Bernier and his People's Party, which unlike what the name might imply is the complete opposite of a communist party, has largelly failed to gain any sort of national attention and undercut the Conservative who benefit heavily in a first past the post system where they stand alone on the right side of the political quadrant. Rumors of a coalition between NDP and Liberals after the election to form a majority government are circulating. It's the second time such an alliance is suggested. During the Harper years, Liberals, NDP and what remained of the decimated Bloc also tried to form a coalition to defeat Harper's government, but the move isn't considered kosher in Canada's political history. In any case, the spectre of a minority goverment seems almost certain. The crux of the battle is probably going to be in Quebec, the second most populous province, where the vote is extremely divided between a variety of Center and Left parties. Should the Bloc be very strong, it's probable the Conservative will manage to rip a small victory over Trudeau.

RE: 43RD CANADIAN GENERAL ELECTION (2019) - SYZ - 10-19-2019

The Canadian PM I remember most vividly was John Diefenbaker, who was a strong
critic of America, and feuded with Kennedy, particularly during the Bay of Pigs crisis.

Considering the state of the planet now, does this quote from Diefenbaker ring true?  
Would the millennials disavow it? Or, more likely, would they not know what it meant.

"He who does not know the past can never understand the present, and he certainly can do nothing for the future."

RE: 43RD CANADIAN GENERAL ELECTION (2019) - c172 - 10-21-2019

I'm watching J.J. McCullough's YouTube live chat right now, but is there a dominant election livestream? Say, CBC or CTV? I think we have 40 mins until results trickle in.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/election-robocalls-voters-polls-misleading-1.5329199

Elections Canada says it has received reports of misleading robocalls made to voters suggesting voting actually takes place on Tuesday — the day after election day.

"There have been some reports of people receiving misleading robocalls in Quebec, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick," said Elections Canada spokesperson Nathalie de Montigny.

Never mind. Found it. CBC livestream: https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/live-blog/federal-election-live-2019?scribble_id=2904919

RE: 43RD CANADIAN GENERAL ELECTION (2019) - epronovost - 10-22-2019

So far, it looks bad for the Liberals and good for the Conservative who have made a few gains in the Atlantic provinces.

RE: 43RD CANADIAN GENERAL ELECTION (2019) - c172 - 10-22-2019

Emilio Bernard-Ciddio (NDP, King-Vaughn [?]) has one hell of a beard! Go Emilio!

RE: 43RD CANADIAN GENERAL ELECTION (2019) - Tres Leches - 10-22-2019

No winner called yet?

-Teresa

LIB 84, CON 58,BQ 14 NDP 10 GRN 1 thus far. Liberals far ahead, and Bloc Quebecois with more seats than the New Democrat Party. Skepticism as to whether a majority government can be formed.

ETA: Numbers are changing like crazy. Libs have 100 now, with 170 needed for a majority.

(10-22-2019, 01:04 AM)epronovost Wrote: So far, it looks bad for the Liberals and good for the Conservative who have made a few gains in the Atlantic provinces.

I totally didn't understand that post, but now I do. CONs are maybe 30 seats behind the LIBs at this point. This kind of thing happends on U.S. election night, too. Geez.

NDPs are kind of flopping. Go, Libs.

CBC projecting a Liberal government. Trudeau remains.