Atheist Discussion
What movie did you last see? - Printable Version

+- Atheist Discussion (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=89)
+--- Forum: Movies, Television, Art and Literature (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=103)
+--- Thread: What movie did you last see? (/showthread.php?tid=1646)

RE: What movie did you last see? - jerry mcmasters - 10-21-2022

Watched the movie Robin Hood last night.  Can't say I recall much about it at all though it did have a realistic historical feel to it as far as sets and costumes etc.  It definitely starred Russell Crowe as Robin Hood, and not somebody else.  There were various plots and plans and deceits and double-crosses and King John was an asshole and the French were somehow able to pillage through Old England pretending to be English, but it was all very confusing.  What did stand out was a reverse D-Day landing from France to England, in the style of the 13th century, but with landing craft straight outta 1944.  Imagine Saving Private Ryan, but with arrows.  Also, I'm pretty sure Kevin Costner wasn't in it.

RE: What movie did you last see? - jerry mcmasters - 10-21-2022

London Has Fallen.

Halfway through so I have no idea how this thing will end!!! At this point, London has indeed fallen. Will report back if London gets up.

RE: What movie did you last see? - rocinantexyz - 10-21-2022

I recently sat through Hocus Pocus and Hocus Pocus 2. I do not recommend them.

RE: What movie did you last see? - Gwaithmir - 10-22-2022

[Image: 330px-Jason_and_the_argounauts.jpg]
Popcorn

RE: What movie did you last see? - Vorpal - 10-22-2022

(10-21-2022, 08:56 PM)rocinantexyz Wrote: I recently sat through Hocus Pocus and Hocus Pocus 2. I do not recommend them.

Your dislike is endorsement enough for me as we are so different.  Angel

RE: What movie did you last see? - Gawdzilla Sama - 10-22-2022

"Captain Marvell". Get an Rx first, then watch it.

RE: What movie did you last see? - rocinantexyz - 10-22-2022

(10-22-2022, 05:40 PM)Vorpal Wrote:
(10-21-2022, 08:56 PM)rocinantexyz Wrote: I recently sat through Hocus Pocus and Hocus Pocus 2. I do not recommend them.

Your dislike is endorsement enough for me as we are so different.  Angel
I thought you had me blocked after I asked you the same very simple question 3 times and you never responded. Now I don't know what to think. Can you explain yourself?

ETA: oops I probably should have PM'ed that instead of derailing. If you want to respond, how about sending me a PM?

RE: What movie did you last see? - Vera - 10-22-2022

And there I was, thinking it was frowned upon to have people following others in unrelated threads taking puerile shots at them.

Apparently it's a-okay when misogynistic rape apologists do it Deadpan Coffee Drinker

RE: What movie did you last see? - Vorpal - 10-22-2022

(10-22-2022, 06:22 PM)rocinantexyz Wrote:
(10-22-2022, 05:40 PM)Vorpal Wrote: Your dislike is endorsement enough for me as we are so different.  Angel
I thought you had me blocked after I asked you the same very simple question 3 times and you never responded. Now I don't know what to think. Can you explain yourself?

ETA: oops I probably should have PM'ed that instead of derailing. If you want to respond, how about sending me a PM?

I will send you a private message. Meanwhile let's test my theory about movies.    What did you think of Saving Private Ryan, the Usual Suspects, Clue, Mrs.
 Doubtfire, and the Talented Mr Ripley?

RE: What movie did you last see? - Gawdzilla Sama - 10-22-2022

"My Mom's a Werewolf." (1989)

RE: What movie did you last see? - rocinantexyz - 10-23-2022

(10-22-2022, 10:43 PM)Vorpal Wrote: What did you think of Saving Private Ryan, the Usual Suspects, Clue, Mrs.Doubtfire, and the Talented Mr Ripley?
  • Saving Private Ryan - Haven't seen it.
  • Usual Suspects - Saw it once, it was decent.
  • Mrs.Doubtfire - Haven't seen it.
  • Talented Mr Ripley - Haven't seen it. Have never heard of it.

RE: What movie did you last see? - Vorpal - 10-23-2022

(10-23-2022, 12:18 AM)rocinantexyz Wrote:
(10-22-2022, 10:43 PM)Vorpal Wrote: What did you think of Saving Private Ryan, the Usual Suspects, Clue, Mrs.Doubtfire, and the Talented Mr Ripley?
  • Saving Private Ryan - Haven't seen it.
  • Usual Suspects - Saw it once, it was decent.
  • Mrs.Doubtfire - Haven't seen it.
  • Talented Mr Ripley - Haven't seen it. Have never heard of it.
You sure you've seen enough movies to have an opinion on what's good or not?   Deadpan Coffee Drinker

RE: What movie did you last see? - Bucky Ball - 10-23-2022

Not really a movie . but "The Vatican Girl" on Netflix.
Emanuella Orlandi was kidnapped by the Mafia in response to the Vatican Bank scandal, where the Banco Ambrosiano laundered millions of Mafia money and gave it to Solidarity (I hadn't realized JPII was so involved), and they kidnapped and held, and eventually murdered Orlandi to punish the Catholics for stealing the Mafia money. Her body was eventually found in a grave in Rome. If you know the original story of Paul Marcinkus, this finishes the story. ("In God's Name") https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Calvi

RE: What movie did you last see? - airportkid - 10-23-2022

(10-23-2022, 02:27 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: ... murdered Orlandi to punish the Catholics ...

Funny that they thought the Catholics would've given a rat's ass, or would've felt any contrition for the loss of a young person.

RE: What movie did you last see? - Gwaithmir - 10-23-2022

[Image: 330px-Twelve_O%27Clock_High_%281949_poster%29.jpg]
Popcorn

RE: What movie did you last see? - Gawdzilla Sama - 10-23-2022

(10-23-2022, 12:15 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: [Image: 330px-Twelve_O%27Clock_High_%281949_poster%29.jpg]
Popcorn

When I went to LMET* in the Navy they used that movie as a teaching aide. Peck demonstrates 12-15 management styles.

*Leadership Management Effectiveness Training.

RE: What movie did you last see? - jerry mcmasters - 10-24-2022

(10-23-2022, 12:15 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: [Image: 330px-Twelve_O%27Clock_High_%281949_poster%29.jpg]
Popcorn

"A STORY OF TWELVE MEN AS THEIR WOMEN NEVER KNEW THEM..."

If they don't all turn out to be gay I ain't watchin.   Dodgy Big Grin

RE: What movie did you last see? - Vorpal - 10-27-2022

I saw Call Me By Your Name.  It is on Netflix now.   I saw it in the theatre when it was first released. It's a great film about coming of age experience of a Jewish teenager set in northern Italy.  The love interest is seven years older.  The really good part is the father's reaction.  Anyone else see it?

RE: What movie did you last see? - Gwaithmir - 10-27-2022

[Image: Twins_of_Evil_poster.jpg]

This film was rated "R" but the nudity was excised in this YouTube version.  Toetap

RE: What movie did you last see? - Aegon - 10-27-2022

(10-20-2022, 09:10 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(10-17-2022, 03:14 PM)Aegon Wrote: This movie famously could've been much better. Everything about it sort of... changes... halfway through. Vince Gilligan (creator of Breaking Bad and long-time X Files writer) wrote the first half, the studio threw out his ending and wrote their own second half.

I'm not sure exactly were you think it changed (not a criticism and I would like to know more about your thoughts on that).  But to the extent that Hancock changed "somewhere around halfway", I considered that a growing (or recovering) understanding of humanity though his exposure to the woman ("protector?") and her well-meaning activist husband.  Or possibly his wound in the liquor store (the 911 signal was brilliant).

When I learned of his/their history, I was stunned.  It was so far out of standard super-hero backstory!  

I have probably watched 'Hancock' more often than any other movie (maybe tied is 'The Incredibles').  I have a weakness for offbeat stuff.

IMO, the first half is really good. It makes a grounded, more human hero. He's a drunk, he doesn't like people, people don't like him, he's a bit of an asshole, he's clumsy with his powers, and he hides all of his weaknesses and emotions under a shell. We see him try and connect with that woman early on, but his powers scare her off.

Every scene in the first half is in some way a subversion or analysis of superheroes. Now "superheroes but they're realistic and shitty" is becoming a tired trope, but it wasn't so tired when the movie came out. This opening scene told us so much about him, and made him a unique character that we found interesting. Will Smith gave one of the best performances of his career and helped bring to life one of the most original superheroes ever. All the other characters were just as clever. He teams up with a PR guy to improve his image, giving him an arc as he learns to be a better guy. It was so interesting realism applied to the common tropes. People aren't appreciative of Hancock at all. They bitch and moan whenever he doesn't save people the right way. The courts are out to get him, and they mention how he's racked up millions in property damage.

Then they managed to throw all of this out. In the second half, the film goes into Hancock's backstory, where it becomes really convoluted. Turns out, he's essentially like an angel or something? And immortal?? And he only has powers if he's not in close proximity to his soul mate, who just HAPPENS to be the wife of the PR guy improving his image? What? It all comes out of nowhere. And it turns out she's immortal too, and I guess nobody ever noticed that? It's almost impressive how much potential this movie managed to waste IMO. It just simply is not the ending that the beginning set up. It breaks a few writing rules and most things that happen in the latter half feel like they come out of nowhere without proper foreshadowing or build-up.

So to be clear, Hancock improving as a person was always going to happen. That was always going to be the arc. But the way they did it was just... ehh..

RE: What movie did you last see? - c172 - 10-31-2022

Watching The Wraith right now.

https://tubitv.com/movies/300846/the-wraith?start=true&utm_source=google-feed&tracking=google-feed

RE: What movie did you last see? - Gawdzilla Sama - 11-01-2022

An old favorite of mine.

RE: What movie did you last see? - Gwaithmir - 11-01-2022

[Image: Charlie_Chan%27s_Murder_Cruise_FilmPoster.jpeg]
Popcorn

RE: What movie did you last see? - Kim - 11-02-2022

Once again, Ken Burns has deftly contributed to the understanding of our human selves, with his most recent documentary film, The US and The Holocaust. There's no fat but still, quite detailed - it's very clear, & well structured.

It's offered on dvd in 3 parts - 3 discs. I checked it out from the Public Library. Angel It was produced in conjunction with PBS, of course. Yep, good old Public Television. It's where I watched all 9 & a half, uncensored hours of the French film, Shoah, back in 1985.

The US and The Holocaust needs to be seen by every US citizen over the age of 12. It would be beneficial and relevant for everyone to discuss their thoughts openly about the information in this film.

Like I said, it's relevant. Nod

RE: What movie did you last see? - airportkid - 11-02-2022

Ken Burns should get a Nobel Prize for making important historic analyses accessible to the wide public that can't (nor wants to) read - and therefore seen by a larger share of humanity.